Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] D-Day Operation Overlord  (Read 2973 times)

Offline rhysduk

• Former Staff
(Review Completed) [SP] D-Day Operation Overlord
« on: 19 Oct 2006, 02:19:42 »
This post was posted by Kendo J.

Made on OFp 1.96
addons are

I44 demo
http://www.ofpbase.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=297

Normandy island
http://www.ofpbase.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=166

In this mission you are a Platoon commander of 82nd Airbourne. Your Battalion has landed at 03:00h on June 6th 1944.

This is very different to my previous I 44 D day attempt. check it out to see

Many of the scripts used have been stolen from a de-pbo'd I44 campaign, and other sources... all scripts have been modified by me so that they suit this mission. some have been written by me like the delete dead bodies script a surrender script and a few others to add atmospherics...

Hope you enjoy

Edit: This mission has been reviewed and is available, with required addons, from the Missions Depot.
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2009, 16:57:39 by Walter_E_Kurtz »
Reviewed Missions Board: Please Read the User's Guide before posting!

Pride and Joy 1 (HW100-T)

Offline Kendo J

• Members
  • Britain Has more varieties of cheese than France
Re: D-Day Operation Overlord (2)
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2006, 14:00:48 »
I don't quite understand.... I read the new forum rules... And I thought that this would be a sinch.. anyhow I dunno what has happened to my mission link so here is a mirror...

Confused Kendo

http://ofpc.de/files/sp_missionen/KEN_WWII_Camp1%5B1%5D.normandie.rar

Offline rhysduk

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2006, 14:37:47 »
New forum rules? Which state what?
Whats a "sinch"?

When the database for the website was reverted, some post and topic etc were lost (ones from the 10th of this month and on) i backed up your post and man y others. So repposted it, but didnt have a link to the mission file.

Rhy

Offline Kendo J

• Members
  • Britain Has more varieties of cheese than France
« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2006, 15:30:05 »
okie dokie, a sinch (perhaps spelling is wrong) is "a peice of cake"
By new rules  mean all the (review please) and (review complete) stuff... then all the putting complete missions in the new missions reviewd board

i thought you removed the mission link.. anyhow, no matter it is here as a new mirror anyway...

kendo

p.s. Oh yeah, someone download this and try it out... it isn't a work of genius, it isn't days long, it doesn't have any fancy scripting. BUT I think it is a small fun mission with loads of shooting at Nazi's and explosions all over the place.

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2006, 23:22:51 »
D-Day Operation Overlord

Overview
Fine.

Intro
Not special, but it's okay.

Briefing
Detailed, good stuff. Weapon selection is pretty extensive. MP44, hand grenades and panzerfaust.

Mission
Reaching my squad was pretty easy, only one patrol to deal with. Died only once.
Moved with my squad towards the occupied village, some "where are you" problems. Probably moved too fast in 2x speed :).
Anyway, the prelim. bombardement takes out a good deal of soldiers. Several MG42 posts still 'working', they are a pain in the a** when fighting with them over a long distance. Pretty good emplacement of units, although I prefer a couple more enemies to deal with :). May I suggest that you remove a few guys in the building, it feels like a last loon hunt. Or maybe you can help the player find them or something (sound effects?). You can try to find shadows, it works but isn't a nice way (OFP bug).

Experienced the last loon problem in this one. Found out that an enemy officer / soldier was hiding behind a tent. Pretty frustrating must have spend 10 minutes finding him.

Anyway, the next phase: defend the town until reinforcements arrive is pretty good. There's more fighting in this phase, but it's too slow. It was pretty easy to keep all the entrances occupied.

A few problems though. My teammates looked stupid, any scripts running to 'enhance' their AI? Sometimes two of them were eliminated (every entrance of the town got two guards) by a single enemy soldier who stood in front of them. They refused to aim and shoot. May be caused by the urban setting though (they were about 10m inside the town).

Enemy soldiers were pretty good shooters, they shot me through thick hedges. If you've got an AI enhancing script running, please let them come en masse and decrease their skill level. :).

Summary
A pretty good mission. It 'works', but there's a few flaws in them. First, there's not enough action for my liking. Too few enemies to shoot at. Some AI problems and a few timing issues. These timing issues are there in the 2nd phase of the mission. It takes way too long until the next wave.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 04 Mar 2007, 13:20:24 »
I'll review this one.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline rhysduk

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2007, 02:20:19 »
Mission has been reviewed.

Please find the review of Operation Overlord here.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2009, 13:37:47 by Planck »