Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Engine query - Projectile ballistics  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
Engine query - Projectile ballistics
« on: 27 Sep 2006, 06:01:05 »
Hello All

I am currently in the process of making an Excel-based utility that will automatically create addon configs from user specified inputs.  In other words - you select the addon name and the features of the weapon, its ammo and its user and the utility will automatically write up the config.cpp entries for CfgVehicles, CfgWeapons, CfgAmmo and CfgRecoils.  Best of all, at the touch of a button the utility will then create a new folder then drop in the formatted config.cpp, the icon and image jpegs and the single shot and burst shot wav files.  All you (should !) have to do then is pack it up with a packing programme (such as makePBO.exe).

The utility will require no knowledge of OFP cpp internals as the drop down menus all refer to real life weapon characteristics, such as gun calibre, cartridge chambering (parabellum, magnum, full power etc), magazine type, operation (eg blowback, gas-operated, bolt, lever action etc) and so on.

I am currently working on the formula for converting the above weapon data into OFP standard data entries.  The biggie is of course muzzle velocity.  The inputs to this variable are weapon calibre, chambering, ammo grade (standard, high, match), barrel length, operation and signal suppression (eg muzzle brake, suppressor etc).

My query is this - does anyone know if the OFP engine automatically reduces a projectile's velocity after it has left the barrel ?  I do know that the CfgAmmo entry allows a particular round to have a specified thrust rating, my plan is that of the OFP engine does NOT automatically allow for wind resistance, then i will add this as a negative thrust rating.  The idea is that another of the many design deicison will be "Bigger round, less muzzle velocity" or "smaller round, more energy bleed at range ?"

If anyone could help me that would be great.  I am nearly at the point of posting the utility as a beta, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

RD