Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [CAMP] Mission Pack One V1.3  (Read 12027 times)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:Mikero's Mission Pack One V1.2
« Reply #45 on: 09 Dec 2005, 09:56:04 »
I should explain that I'm on a temporary setup ... normally I have only official addons in that folder.  
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #46 on: 11 Dec 2005, 06:37:55 »
I'll give this thread a couple of  days more then if no further comments or found bugs will lock it and send the pack off to the Mission Depot.
Just say no to bugz

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #47 on: 11 Dec 2005, 14:23:39 »
Strange and minor problem with The Hunters.   I'm playing it, and I get a "continue" thing in the campaign list, but the mission name doesn't appear.   It goes

Forest War
 - continue

even though I've finished Forest War and am on the next mission.

Edit:  I had trouble making The Hunters end.    I found the civvy lorry, but he didn't drive off.  In the end I shot the driver and started looking round the locations and found the boats so all was well ... but there is clearly a problem.  

The Hunters still doesn't appear in the list of missions.  The next mission appears fine.  

Edit:  what I think is the Secret Soldier outro doesn't end.  This is not a dealbreaker though, since a whack on the spacebar does the trick.

However, that took me to your welcome titles and the first desert island mission again.... See pic.   Note also that Hunters is missing.

However when I use the campaign cheat to reveal the missions, Hunters does appear and you don't go back to Desert Island ... the list continues on to Everon as it should, though apparently without a "title mission".

Edit:  yes I did get an everon title .. presumably its in a intro.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2005, 19:45:09 by macguba »

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
Re:Mikero's Mission Pack One V1.3
« Reply #48 on: 12 Dec 2005, 09:17:55 »
New Version, top post
Just say no to bugz

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #49 on: 13 Dec 2005, 13:14:32 »
 ;D

D/l now.  I'll pick it up from where I left off.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #50 on: 17 Dec 2005, 01:00:16 »
Commando 1

Mission didn't end.   Couldn't get the Castle objective to tick.   The only thing I can think of is that I didn't enter the castle by the front door.   Well why would you?

The Outro didn't end either ... or it may have been the Intro for Commando2.   That's not a dealbreaker of course, since you can spacebar past it.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2005, 01:02:38 by macguba »

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #51 on: 17 Dec 2005, 04:41:11 »
Thanks Mac, was beginning to despair of getting these finished and out the door, the editorPack is languishing now at bottom of forum.

have i made these 'campaigns' too large for most people? or are they busy buying xmas presents?

if the file is too large what are people's opinions on what's a good size? I know that opens a Pandora's box, but what's a gut feel folks?

----
Commando 1

My take on spacebar is they are faulty missions, should they stay, or go (admittedly I'm coming round to the idea that it's not _that_ faulty)

will check commando1. don't recall that happening before <>

Edit:

oh yes i do (sigh) i let it escape out of my BrokenMissions folder. Damn, it *was* a good mission, sob. It's deleted now.

when you get down to one working mission MacGuba, our problems will be solved and I can stop calling this thing a campaign 8)

---
I had no trouble -endmission,  flowing into the next, up to the briefing for commando2. There is a little delay on the russian soldier dying, and you might have been too imatient? About 5 secs I think.

---
Also did some homework on the missing editor102 vs missing GAA123, and yup! If the engine 'knows about' the addon, the message is more along the lines of 'you forgot to include it in addons[]='

« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2005, 08:31:58 by Mikero »
Just say no to bugz

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #52 on: 17 Dec 2005, 12:21:05 »
The Russian soldier died, the music stopped, I waited a little, looked out of the window, waited a little more, made some tea, had a quick one off the wrist and read the paper.    But as I say, spacebar does the trick and I don't think that alone is sufficient to exclude a mission.   Not ending is, however.   I didn't think it was very good (although good enough for the pack, other than that) so I don't think its a great loss.

This pack is for "dipping into".   It's all the playing I'm doing at the moment, which isn't much, but if I was playing it for real I'd leave it for a while and come back to it.   It's the sort of thing that's nice to have on the go in the background for when you have a spare half hour and dont' want to have to chase around finding a mission or the addons for one - you know you can just play.     That's what makes the campaign format such a good idea, its tidy and you know what you have played already.

Beta testing a pure campaign is tedious work which is why nobody much is doing it.   You know the missions are mostly going to work, its just the joins plus a final check overall.   And its unrewarding testing because most of the missions are open to improvement but they're not going to get it.   I am constantly reminded of why I turned to beta testing in the first place.  Anyway, not far to go now, I'll press on.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #53 on: 18 Dec 2005, 13:48:30 »
I'm not convinced that having successive missions by the same author is a good idea in a thing like this.   I'm playing Commando 4 at the moment and my heart sagged a little when I saw the title.   I've just played two of the previous missions in the series (3 being absent already) and I'm not in a rush to play any more.  Part of the joy of this campaign is its randomness:  you don't know, and don't want to know, what is coming next.   I know one of them has already been canned, but I'd recommend picking the one you think is the best and losing the rest.   Or at the very least keep them in order but split them up.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #54 on: 18 Dec 2005, 14:02:30 »
>Part of the joy of this campaign is its randomness

I was scratching my head trying to think how to put some 'order' into the series. As in 3 attacks on Dourdan, 1 x Houdan, 2 x Trinite, and finally seven airport black op missions. Ie some progession up or down the Island.

Instead, your comment makes a great solution. Intentionally avoid anything of the sort. I believe there'd be far less effort needed to tweak the missions into broken-ness rather than try and make some semblance of order which ultimately is only in the eye of the beholder. So, yes, I think that's a good idea to set a framework of ensuring no common join between a, b and c.

exception: Islands. I like what I've done there.
Just say no to bugz

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #55 on: 18 Dec 2005, 15:08:29 »
Yes I like the islands being in blocks:  it gives it some coherence.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #56 on: 18 Dec 2005, 15:54:41 »
OK finished.   Good mission to end on.   No other problems.   Add a final screen "that's the end thanks for playing hope you enjoyed it mikero" or something, to give a sense of finality.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #57 on: 19 Dec 2005, 12:36:02 »
As usual MacGuba you inspire people to lift their game. I have added my own ending outro which I'm somewhat proud of. I have you to thank for that.

This child (version 1.4) has been sent to the Mission Depot for review. With some luck, it might get included in Artak's extravaganza bonanza early next year.

Topic solved and I'm onto the other poor orphan, the EditorPack languishing somewhere in the forum.

« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2005, 12:36:55 by Mikero »
Just say no to bugz

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
Re: (Review Please) Mission Pack One V1.3
« Reply #58 on: 14 Sep 2006, 13:08:13 »
This Campaign is ready for review
Just say no to bugz

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
Re: (Review In Progress) Mission Pack One V1.3
« Reply #59 on: 29 Jul 2007, 03:13:25 »
The campaign has been reviewed. Please see the mission here in the Missions Depot.

-Tyger
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2009, 14:09:23 by Planck »
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08