Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: US Special Forces Addons  (Read 8799 times)

Eviscerator

Re:US Special Forces Addons
« Reply #30 on: 19 Oct 2002, 18:30:49 »
yes but scorpio you dont have a model you are legally allowed to use, and you cant actually model yourself, so how are you going to do it?

ofpeditor

« Reply #31 on: 19 Oct 2002, 18:40:48 »
Hello All -
Here I go on one of my soapbox speeches once again.

Evis - I personally like the idea of the "Helo & Forces" packs. To be honest, I somewhat question the possibility of being able to coordinate such a large project into a reality; however, breaking it into sections or "releases" like that is not only feasible, but ideal. It allows the current addon makers to work on specific sections and all work together, instead of spreading the talent over an extremely large project all at once. Tiger, you sounded like you supported "starting small," and I think Evis's idea may have been the answer. Now it's a matter of what units get paired with what birds (read #2 below for how this could be done?).

Tigershark - In reference to the project manager & to the specific tasks you outlined:
1. I can outline the plan for each addon maker (the questions stands, who is doing what?)
2. Messiah made a comment that he feels I ought to be the one to donate my knowledge to help create a realistic pack. I think I can do this; HOWEVER, I feel that to better the differing opinions, ideas, and views of the OFP community, there ought to be a deliberations between a few people (addon makers involved??) to come to an agreement on what will be included. That way we can hopefully not exclude or forget anything that may make the "US SF Addon" that much better.
3 & 4 & 5. Definitely possible. I'll rally the troops, mate.

I do have one concern - Those who know my line of work may know that I go into occasional 2 week absences as I cannot concentrate on OFP when my mind needs to be elsewhere. It's part of what I do, and I cannot change it. With this in mind, the possibility of having the pack suffer at this expense may outweigh my abilities to coordinate this project. However, no matter what, I can promise to work hard for the project, and of course, get a few bonus reports written up as 'Community Eye Candy.'
So the question is returned to you, Tiger - knowing my work and also knowing my commitments to OFP and to my career, do you feel comfortable handing this to me?

Cheers mates
ofpeditor

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #32 on: 19 Oct 2002, 19:11:12 »
ofpeditor - i suggested you should do it because of your knowledge - but what about this, why not have 2 people on the job - we have you as expert kinda guy who can ensure realism throughout the pack, and so can chose the addon makers accordingly, and then a sidekick who can help you contact and arrange the authors - in this way we have the realism and also you dont have to worry about going off suddenly...

oh, and great to see that the LB's should be released by sunday - although tigershark mate, i reckon you should wait till they are perfect - dont release because of public pressure mate - i know you love having everything perfect  ;)
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Eviscerator

« Reply #33 on: 19 Oct 2002, 19:16:56 »
well as a small guess, this is what i can think of so far:

Littlebirds and Delta Force Operatives and 160th SOAR
MH-60L and Rangers
UH-1N and Marine Force Recon and Marine Corp Pilots
MH-60G Jolly Green with ParaJumpers
MH-47E with ? ? ?
MH-60K with ? ? ?

(insert ? ? ?'s with whatever leftover units fit the best)
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2002, 19:29:33 by Eviscerator »

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #34 on: 19 Oct 2002, 19:27:00 »
i say all the MH-60's should go in the same pack with the rangers and the parajumpers.

MH-47 should be marines as well i reckon

Eviscerator

« Reply #35 on: 19 Oct 2002, 19:31:43 »
well....that would make the pack take a very long time, as i had it a pack would get released every few weeks, and the marines use the CH-46 Sea Knight and CH-53 as their 'chinook', i didnt include the CH-46 in the list because its not very 'spec op-py'

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #36 on: 19 Oct 2002, 19:47:35 »
hmm, i see your point

well, i rather the pack be quick than slow - maybe ofpeditor could shed some light on what units he thinks should go with the choppers.

Eviscerator

« Reply #37 on: 19 Oct 2002, 20:25:34 »
for anyone unsure of what bibmi is working on, there are screenshots here: http://www.angelfire.com/games4/bibspecops/page2.html

so we have (just from bibmi):

Delta Force
Rangers
Parajumpers
Navy Seals
Marines
Devgru
Green Berets

i think the seals would probably suit the MH-47E/MH-60K and whatever helo is left can have the Green Berets, what do you think? although we will have to talk to bibmi

Chomps

« Reply #38 on: 19 Oct 2002, 20:50:51 »
Any room for Bibmi's modernized "regular" infantry?

ofpeditor

« Reply #39 on: 19 Oct 2002, 21:01:35 »
My Input:

MH6/AH6 LB - Delta Force & SOAR Pilots
MH60K/L - Rangers (K or L possible for release w/ Green Berets as these two variants are US Army SF operated) & SOAR pilots
UH1N - Marine Force Recon & Marine Pilots
MH60G Jolly Green - PJs
MH47E - Green Berets (a colleague of mine agrees)
HH60H SeaHawk & MH53E PaveLow (Are we undertaking these? It wouldnt take much to do, since the SeaHawk is the same model) - Navy SEALs

Anything I missed? Comments?

Cheers mates
ofpeditor

ofpeditor

« Reply #40 on: 19 Oct 2002, 21:20:57 »
Chomps -

sorry mate - chances are, there isn't room for "regular" infantry...look at the Post Subject

Cheers

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #41 on: 19 Oct 2002, 21:26:00 »
ofpeditor is on the money, in my opinion.

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #42 on: 19 Oct 2002, 21:38:10 »
ofpeditor is on the money, in my opinion.

Chomps

« Reply #43 on: 19 Oct 2002, 21:49:05 »
Chomps -

sorry mate - chances are, there isn't room for "regular" infantry...look at the Post Subject

Cheers

Of course, of course, and no need for sorries, I am sure Bibmi will finish them up either way.

Your list looks great to me (although, I have next to zero knowledge about the armed forces, so do not count on me for anything to do with realism).

A helicopter-special forces group combo for each should work out well, so long as either part holds up the other for too long.

Just in case any of you do not know, Bibmi is done with most of his groups, except the SEAL team and regular infantry (although that is not a concern).  According to him, all that is left is the coding.  He has also created some customized M4s, which still need to be coded, although he admits modeling weapons is not his thing (that is where the working as a team pays off, by the way).

Anyway, I am sure contacting him directly will make the situation crystal clear, we just have to wait for him to show up.

Chomps

« Reply #44 on: 19 Oct 2002, 22:12:56 »
On a technical note, my suggestion would be a new vehicle class for the soldiers.

West > BAS Special Forces

Each pack would just add more units to the list.  Each addon simply adds the new units to this list.  That way, you may name the troops "Ranger" or "SEAL", not "BAS Ranger" or "BAS SEAL".  Another suggestion would be to keep the names of differnet kits as "SEAL Sniper" and "SEAL AT" with the name of their group first.  With all the addons, the list may get a little long, but easy to navigate with the alphabetizing.

As for the helicopters, I am not sure.  Perhaps a new class "West > BAS Helicopters" for the same reasons, or put the choppers in with the Special Forces class, or just put them in the Air class with a BAS tag.

It would be good to outline (ofpeditor, you would be the man for this one) what roles each group would have members fulfilling.  For example, should there be a sniper for the Delta group or not?  Should there be an "officer" for each of the groups?  Which roles require unique models?  (Bibmi, for example, has a special Ranger model with the goggles on for the machinegunner.)  What weapons would each role need, which also asks what weapons must be created?  Perhaps a new portable anti-tank weapon would be good to have.  Certainly do not confine yourselves to the weapons already in OFP.

Example outline:  (NOT EVEN CLOSE TO ACCURATE)

Rangers:

- US Ranger (default)
Model: Default Ranger
Weapons: M16, grenades.
Special: Increased Armor

- US Ranger Leader
Model: Ranger Leader (has smoke grenade on vest)
Weapons: M16, binoculars...
Special: Increased Armor, Officer symbol

- US Ranger AT
Model: Default Ranger
Weapons: ....
Special: ....

- US Ranger Sniper
Model: Sniper Model (wears ghillie suit)
Weapons: New sniper rifle of some sort
Special: Increased Camoflague, Sniper symbol.

You get the idea...