Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Steam from breath conversion  (Read 11063 times)

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
  • Llama, it's what's for dinner.
Re:Steam from breath conversion
« Reply #30 on: 11 Jan 2006, 22:24:23 »
i'm very interested in seeing how he succeeded where everyone else has failed so far...

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #31 on: 12 Jan 2006, 01:07:58 »
hmm, im pretty sure he was just going to make a script for the player only, using the setbuttonaction thing that I thought of.

EDIT:

now that I look at his post again, he may be doing it for all units. and thus not using setbuttonaction :-[
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2006, 01:10:00 by penguinman »

DanAK47

« Reply #32 on: 21 Jan 2006, 04:37:45 »
I have had some success detecting a unit's stance by dropping an object from a height above the unit and seeing how long it takes to hit him. It's not a good long term solution to the problem, but it might be food for thought.

I thought about detecting the height of a fired bullet, but this gave misleading results if the gun was aimed up or down.

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
« Reply #33 on: 21 Jan 2006, 04:47:41 »
I think just create a steam drop at both the point where he is standing and lying. I doubt anybody would notice and why waste time?

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #34 on: 21 Jan 2006, 18:45:10 »
That's not really good enough is it.
I want to hear what Armsty has to say. Where is he?
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
Re: Steam from breath conversion
« Reply #35 on: 03 Jul 2006, 10:05:30 »
hmmm, has he already submitted it and forgot to tell us, forgot about it, or is he still eating that sandwich,

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #36 on: 03 Jul 2006, 11:40:35 »
Makes you wonder whether he was just pulling your leg.. ;)
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
« Reply #37 on: 14 Jul 2006, 03:32:50 »
we have news from armsty!

Armsty here. I'm writing through Trigs 'cause I can't log in at the moment (I've mailed Sui). Anyway, I'm not pulling your leg. I know the answer and I've known it for a long time. The reason I haven't told anyone is 'cause I am an apathic lil' bugger. And that's a bleeding fact. Anyway, you'll have the answer within 24h. If Sui fixes my log in, that is. Now, I'm going to run off and get shot.

lets see if he pulls through

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #38 on: 14 Jul 2006, 13:11:36 »
lol

That's why I used the ;) at the end..
To draw him out of the shadows :D
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2006, 15:02:44 by HateR_Kint »
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #39 on: 14 Jul 2006, 16:21:57 »
Quote from: Armsty date=1152840770
...Now, I'm going to run off and get shot.
We don't mind if you go get shot, just don't start eating another of those huge 1/2 year sandwiches.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2006, 16:23:57 by Mr.Peanut »
urp!

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
« Reply #40 on: 14 Jul 2006, 17:45:14 »
haha..those taste good [/off topic]

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #41 on: 14 Jul 2006, 20:23:42 »
Uh huh.........off-topic........this is bad guys.......I might have to get serious here.

Seriously we are attempting to get dmakatra back......whether this is a good thing or not is debateable.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #42 on: 14 Jul 2006, 22:54:47 »
First of all, I'm back. Yay. Huzzah. Go eat a cat if you'd like.

Second, as far as detecting this 'ere stance thingy it's actually very simple. It's painfully simple actually, I have no idea why no-one has ever figure it out these past five years. And not only is the method of detecting the stance very simple, there are even two ways of doing it. It's so simple that anyone can figure it out. In fact, you'll probably hate me for not saying such a simple thing these 10-12 months that I've known about it. I don't really have an excuse for that. Well, I have, but that'd mean I have to tell you my whole bloody life story (seriously) and we don't want that.

Notice how I sort of delay the whole thing by writing loads of stuff nobody cares about? This is to create tension for the big climax. Also, it makes the post looks long and that makes me look cool.

Here it comes.

The big climax that is.

The answer is the animation itself, and how it effects the unit. There are two noticable effects to the unit, hence the two different methods of detection. These are angle (getDir, doesn't work on human players) and velocity (speed). See, when a unit goes prone/crouched he is still moving in some direction and his angle is tilted slightly. What's great is that these values are consistent. Even if you go prone/crouch a hundred times, as long as you use the same animation, the speed value is going to show up exactly the same all hundred times, and the angle will tilt with the exact same value every time, wether you check the values in the start of the animation or the end of the animation.

Both methods have a slight, slight chance of failing because these exact values can be reached (however extremely, extremely unlikely) by other means. Speed is the most reliable one but if you wanna be on the safe side I'd recommend you use both.

Here's a list of the speed values with the official animations:
Standing-To-Prone: 2.26923
Crouched-To-Prone: 1.05517
Running-To-Prone: 6.64739

Crouched-To-Standing: 0.386415
Prone-To-Standing: -0.147613
Crawling-To-Standing: 4.25231

While testing these values while I wrote this I discovered that the values change while not on flat ground. Sorry to disappoint you, it came as a suprise to me as well, 'cause I had tested this on that pesky flat ground on Desert Island like loads of times. Whoa, do I feel stupid, but now at least we have something to work on. I personally haven't done some serious scripting in like a year or so (this discovery was about the last thing I did before I retired), but I am confident someone can perfect this method.

There is still one possibility that I can think about, although it's not a nice one. It's an extreme workaround. That would be to setdammage the unit while standing still (if player, during a cutscene or something) to 0.8, see if the speed value changes even slightly. If it does, the unit is either standing or crouched. Then setdammage him back to whatever.

Humm...

Guess Trigs won the bet. Do you want 'em sent via the mail or should come and collect them personally?

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
« Reply #43 on: 15 Jul 2006, 05:07:18 »
this only lets you know if you're prone or standing... what about crouched?

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
« Reply #44 on: 15 Jul 2006, 07:14:21 »
This all sounds a bit wild, like a goose chase.

i have my doubts, and il keep them to myself, but  i want to see it proooven. so far it has never been done before. the question is, can you make somthing plausable out of this.