Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: New states  (Read 1744 times)

Offline marshmanguy

• Members
New states
« on: 26 Oct 2005, 23:44:38 »
I'm sure you all know all about the little drop down menu in the map editor that lets you, when setting a waypoint, to set a units status to safe, danger, aware or careless.  I was wondering if it was possible to add some options to that list?  I.E. making new animations for the way they hold their weapons and allowing the editor to set which way the unit does so.  These would mostly be variations on the 'safe' status.  So, if I wanted to make Carl the western soldier move from where he is to his waypoint, and I wanted him to move there with his rifle at the low port (I know this would never be done but shh) then I would change his status to somethign like "safe(lowport)".  Input?  Level of posibility? I know, it's probly tampering with the engine but Kegetys has done some amazing stuff like this.

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
Re:New states
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2005, 08:57:02 »
Yes, this should be possible, but not really in the manner you are imagining. Basically, you would need to create and configure a bunch of new animations. You would 'switchmove' the unit into one of the states, which he would move around from. You would need 2 animations at least: a standing, and a walking.

A lot is possible with animations, but very little has been done with them so far. I find them to be a huge pain in the butt to make, so that could be part of the problem :).
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline marshmanguy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2005, 00:15:12 »
I can see how it would blow but I could live with that workaround but I don't know how to make animations.

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2005, 00:32:04 »
You can make them using OFPanim, which can be found here:

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=378

Be sure to check my comments on that resource for some tutorials and the latest patch.

Configuring them can be the hardest part though, and there aren't really any tutorials out there for that; especially for what you want to do. Let me know if you get that far, and I'll try to help you out.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline marshmanguy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2005, 22:33:32 »
Ah man, yessir Mr General sir, yeah I guess I might try to give it one or two shots.  On the same topic, in that new FFUR release I saw a screen shot of some soldier trotting along carrying his weapon with one hand wrapped around the weapon at the midway point.  Has this release accomplished what I'm looking for or was that some fancy scripting?

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #5 on: 03 Nov 2005, 08:21:00 »
Some people use animation replacement packs. AFAIK, the FFUR has only replaced the old anims (and perhaps put in a few new ones such as rolling and stuff) and has hence not made new Waypoint states. I haven't downloaded or looked into FFUR very much though, so I can't be entirely sure.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: 06 Nov 2005, 19:26:23 »
well i downloaded all the FFUR its great but i dont think i know what anim your talking about unless you mean the safe mode patrol anim
download the
DMA Animation pack 1.1 from this url

and follow the installation instructions for the patrol version set a unit to safe and tell him to walk around see if thats the anim you want ?

Kyle Sarnik

« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2005, 06:49:32 »
Yes, this should be possible, but not really in the manner you are imagining. Basically, you would need to create and configure a bunch of new animations. You would 'switchmove' the unit into one of the states, which he would move around from. You would need 2 animations at least: a standing, and a walking.

A lot is possible with animations, but very little has been done with them so far. I find them to be a huge pain in the butt to make, so that could be part of the problem :).

That is exactly the reason why the vast potential of animations has only recently been tapped and only to an extremely limited extent. OFP-anim is just so... time consuming and boring.  :-\