Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Red Dawn  (Read 1519 times)

HOBOMAN

Red Dawn
« on: 09 Sep 2005, 15:06:27 »
Hey any of you guys seen the 1984 movie Red Dawn? I thought it would be cool to make a mission like that. Basically a bunch of teenagers are fighting Russians who invaded the USA. I think a mission like this would be cool, you would start off in the street or driving to work then tons of Russian paratroopers start droping from the sky. You are able to hide from them and steal an ak-74. Then you rescue your friends and form a miltia to fight the Russians. You can go from place to place in your town and get supplies and find people to fight with you. For example you can go to a guns store and get more weapons and build explosives out of the ammo. You can go to an outdoors store and build an mre bomb and get some tents. You can get food and  shelter in a corner store and hide from the tanks. You can find a pk and mount it  on your pickup.

The only problem is having a map from some small town in the USA. Thats hard to make. You would also need a lot of new buildings to make it seem like the USA and not an OFP island. Also some civie addons would be needed.

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
Re:Red Dawn
« Reply #1 on: 09 Sep 2005, 19:26:33 »
Ahh, the 80's... It's a funny idea that make's me nostalgic. Very similar to the paperback roleplaying game "Price of Freedom" by Westend Games. Try it. There are numerous small city maps released on www.ofp.info that could easily serve as an american town.
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

bored_onion

« Reply #2 on: 09 Sep 2005, 21:14:48 »
dont know about the city thing but the mission abandoned armies (universally acclaimed as the best mission ever made) in the beta testing forum has the same element of fighting and forming a militia. sorry if you already noticed it, but its worth a shot if you haven't already taken a peek.

HOBOMAN

« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2005, 00:23:46 »
dont know about the city thing but the mission abandoned armies (universally acclaimed as the best mission ever made) in the beta testing forum has the same element of fighting and forming a militia. sorry if you already noticed it, but its worth a shot if you haven't already taken a peek.

No thats not the same thing. Abandoned Armies is good but not the same thing. Your in malden not the USA. The rest of the world is destoried. Red Dawn type mission would be in America not some wimpy little island. Your in a small town (large map in the editor small but for real life) just going to work when your caught in the middle of the attack be crazy russian paratroopers dropping from the sky. You get to play when the russians are droping down troops and tanks from planes. The russians find you and capture you but you escape with nothing. Then you steel a gun and fight on the streets making homemade bombs and tank traps. You go into stores and schools fighting the invaders. Then you can build up your HQ in a church or house and mount mgs out the windows and place sandbags all arround. Its not "we have been invaded a while ago and now we are forming a miltia yip-pee" its "holy sh*t there are freakin russians falling from the sky and attacking USA soil I gotta save my own butt first then fight back".  See the difference? The mission would start and you would go to work then by the end you would have a miltia with civies, cops and US soldiers pushing the russians back to moscow.

Personally I'm sick of having missions that are like "Russian has invaded teh malden for the 76th time teh 80's. Oh no. You must kill teh russians on teh malden". Thats why a mission like this would be a good change.
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2005, 00:29:34 by HOBOMAN »

bored_onion

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2005, 00:42:51 »
true. the only thing might be that OFP isnt explicitly built for urban fighting. you can use scripts like that "urban ai" one (or is that a tut) to do it, though.

HOBOMAN

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2005, 01:11:58 »
true. the only thing might be that OFP isnt explicitly built for urban fighting. you can use scripts like that "urban ai" one (or is that a tut) to do it, though.

By urban fighting I mean OFP Urban fighting. Not like fighting inside buildings and towers, but like fighting in a town with the house density of Lipany. Not like battlefield 100% old fashion ye-olde OFP fighting where a house seems like the empire state building.

BTW
I'm gonna make this mission but does any one know of a good island with Hi-quality addons that represents part of the USA? Not an urban area but like a small town in Utah or some boring state (no offence to Utah). I would like if the map had farms, stores and houses (I'm thinking of some place like the town in Rambo I). Thanks