Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: no addons  (Read 2828 times)

kit

no addons
« on: 02 Sep 2005, 21:46:59 »
i once had ideas of writing my own missions but yours are so great I wont bother but could there please be more missions  without addons or could there be an accepted batch of addons we could all have and maybe more people would play YOUR mission  :)

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
Re:no addons
« Reply #1 on: 02 Sep 2005, 21:51:04 »
I don't get it. Have you checked out the missions depot? You can't have played all those can you?
Usually there will be a bit in the review saying if there are addons needed or not.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

bored_onion

« Reply #2 on: 02 Sep 2005, 21:56:34 »
i reckon this thread is slightly off topic...

but in the spirit of friendliness before it gets locked or moved - the SHADOWS OF THE MOTHERLAND CAMPAIGN should comply with all your needs. it only requires one tiny addon (the editor upgrade). it is now available!!

#end of shameless plug :-[ :-X
« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2005, 14:32:30 by bored_onion »

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #3 on: 03 Sep 2005, 04:06:06 »
our moderators are experience ppl, if it's off topic it'll get moved to an apporpriate place.

hi kit :wave:

first thing to surprise you is beta mission news . It's a weekly update containing mixures of addon / non addon beta releases.

2nd thing to surprise you is I've never made a mission ever. And probably never will. Hasn't stopped me. Come in and join us as a really good commentator on missions, untainted by 'ideas' of how it should be done.

/end of another shameless plug
Just say no to bugz

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #4 on: 03 Sep 2005, 10:10:39 »
It's off topic on Editing: General but its fine here.

kit, if you fancy having a go at making missions you just do it.   OFPEC is here to help you.   Don't be put off by the high standards of some of the missions you find here... just enjoy yourself.

As The-Architect says, there are MANY missions without addons in the Missions Depot.   Go back a bit:  just because a mission is old doesn't mean its no good.   Some of the best missions ever made are addon free or addon light.

A standard list of addons is impossible because there are new ones being produced all the time.

Oh, and

Welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2005, 10:11:05 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

kit

« Reply #5 on: 03 Sep 2005, 13:34:35 »
hey thanks to you all and the warm welcome I think I might like it here .wrt addons Ive not played them all the missions available but have played about 50% of the addon free ones but its still some missions state that they are addon free but the game says that I dont have the correct addons is this because I dont have the correct version of the game ? I have 1.96
eg  mission states no addons but requires ofp 1.5 etc thanks

Offline crave22

• Members
  • Wheeeeeee!!!!!!
    • OpSomme
« Reply #6 on: 03 Sep 2005, 16:31:24 »
You have 1.96? That's GREAT! You can pretty much play anything in the mission depot. (unless it says incompatable with newer versions due to a script, etc.) 1.96 is the latest version of ofp and should be compatable with almost every mission in there.

Oh, and,
;DWELCOME TO THE FORUMS! ;D

Everyone who replied except macguba (and me) should be ashamed of themselves, because:
A. He's Admin, which makes his shameless advertising completely shameless.  ;)
B. You didn't welcome the new guy!  ;)

Shame, shame, shame!  :D

*EDIT* I'll partially take Mikero off for the waving smile and "hi kit", but the advertising has no excuse!  ;D
« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2005, 16:39:56 by crave22 »

bored_onion

« Reply #7 on: 03 Sep 2005, 18:14:14 »
in the spirit of friendliness

i typed that - that counts as welcome, right?

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: 03 Sep 2005, 18:24:08 »
Welcome!

about 50% of the addon free ones but its still some missions state that they are addon free but the game says that I dont have the correct addons
This may be because you don't have EditorUpgrade.  We here don't really count it as an addon, because it shouldn't be.  It simply allows mission makers to use objects that came with the game but weren't available in the mission editor.

Here's the link

Or, you can try Mikero's Upgrade.  His is supposed to be good for mission makers, but it shouldn't matter if you don't make missions. (Mikero, can you supply the link, I can't find it :-[)

-Student Pilot

EDIT:
Another Link to Editor Upgrade
« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2005, 18:28:53 by Student Pilot »

Offline crave22

• Members
  • Wheeeeeee!!!!!!
    • OpSomme
« Reply #9 on: 03 Sep 2005, 19:15:14 »
Yeah, the EditorUpgrade is really a must have. It doesn't add anything new to the game itself, but it does allow you to access all the different houses, buildings, etc. that you usually can't in the editor.

@bored_onion
Yeah, I guess that counts... And your shameless advertising isn't bad at all. ;) (heard some nice things about that campaign, headed to the thread now :)) Better start working on your excuse, The-Architect.  ;)

HOBOMAN

« Reply #10 on: 04 Sep 2005, 00:14:54 »
I feel addons are needed for missions. First off there are so many user made CWC style missions that are getting boring and old. We need missions with all those great addons out there. Then there are missions where they dont use addons so a "SWAT Team" is just a bunch Nato soldiers.

I think it is time to move on and just download the addons. Besides if you want to play with the orignals units just play the campaigns.
« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2005, 00:16:02 by HOBOMAN »

Stinky Nut Rappa

« Reply #11 on: 04 Sep 2005, 17:11:30 »
im sure ive seen this topic before and it was locked straight away. anyway im working on a campaign at the moment with no addons apart from a mortar and its coming out fine. and doesnt that recent mission made by macguba have no addons. i cant remember what its called
« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2005, 17:13:46 by Stinky Nut Rappa »

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
« Reply #12 on: 04 Sep 2005, 17:26:48 »
Unimpossible mission? I think that was made by Macguba.

I think that there are some very good campaigns and missions out there that don't need addons (excluding the editor upgrades). In fact I know that. I mean, look at Abandoned armies, Unimpossible Mission, Retaliation and Shadows of the Motherland. 4 great examples of what can be done with BIS units (Even though I never did finish Unimpossible mission, it was still fun  ;) )

Missions without addons are good for everyone. Those who have Dialup or can't download a lot for another reason can play them as they are. Those who have GBs open to flashpoint can download conversion mods, and use them with the missions.  :)
« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2005, 17:31:52 by greg147 »
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB

kit

« Reply #13 on: 04 Sep 2005, 18:12:43 »
thanks for the link to a editor upgrade but where do i unzip it to ??? thanks again  :-[

Offline wcrvieira

• Former Staff
« Reply #14 on: 04 Sep 2005, 19:22:52 »
kit...

first of all... Welcome to the forum!

Second... unzip editorupgrade to your Addons or Res/Addons folder...I recommend you dont use mod folders for this one...at least with mine it always work wrong  >:( (with you it might work fine)

Cya

NBR Out!