Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Realistic Air Combat  (Read 4237 times)

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
Re:Realistic Air Combat
« Reply #15 on: 02 Oct 2005, 01:22:45 »
@kyle: please dont be rude to him, he can say his opinion.

The dogfight has been obsolete ever since the invention of long range missiles and AWACS. Now planes don't have to be close in to take down the enemy.
funny you should mention that. i saw a program on the History channel it mentioned that all the air commanders said that before vietnam. so they didnt train pilots in dogfighting, and thats why they lost so many planes. or so it said. im not sure though now because they do have some long long range missiles.

Offline crave22

• Members
  • Wheeeeeee!!!!!!
    • OpSomme
« Reply #16 on: 02 Oct 2005, 17:12:40 »
Well, the missiles in Vietnam weren't all that great. Besides, the MiGs back then tried to sneak up on the pilots by going low. However, with the modern AWACS they can't do this. Back then they could since the radar on the ground had a blind spot for planes flying very low. Now, AWACS prevents this since it is airborne. Therefore, its blindspot is above it. This means ground based radar can cover for it.

And I don't think Kyle's being rude. He's just pointing out a well known fact. However, this topic is indirectly related to engine limitations. If I'm correct, everyone else is talking about how to get realistic air combat into ofp. Engine limitations are a side effect of this subject.

UNN

« Reply #17 on: 02 Oct 2005, 18:01:52 »
Regarding the limitations, Kyle is correct in that you cant extend the life of a missile in OFP. On the others he is wrong, in the sense they can be done. But correct in saying it isn't straight forward.

For identifying the target,firing unit and missile. Thats practicle and is being worked on.

Default OFP missile guidance as in the video clip is borderline for anything other than AI. Perhaps more can be done in Armed Assault, but I doubt it. Probably more like Game 2, if it was something BIS wanted to implement.

Offline Plane

• Members
  • You can call me my nickname "Plane"!
« Reply #18 on: 06 Nov 2005, 04:44:54 »
I've checked out the Rad_F18's script, that's amazing!
But I don't know how to avoid missile being defected
The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.