Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: John's Smoke  (Read 1842 times)

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
John's Smoke
« on: 23 Jan 2006, 18:18:41 »

Would you believe me if I told you I just took that screenshot from OFP? I doubt you would, unless you've been on OFP.info recently.
Problem is, the smoke flickers constantly and John can't figure out how to stop it. I'm oh so kindly begging for help on his behalf without even speaking to him :P But seriously, if this is sorted out we'll have some amazing new effects for flashpoint, and it doesn't even lag on my 2,500benchmark!!

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
Re:John's Smoke
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2006, 18:36:30 »
one question the readme isnt very clear or atlease i dont think so. So how the hell do i install it ?

Can i use a mod folder it doesnt state it so clearly
But the effects do look very nice

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2006, 18:40:25 »
I think you can use a mod folder... Haven't tested though..

You just need to copy/paste the OFP original Data.pbo etc mentioned in the readme into that mod folder and patch those instead of the original files...
But not tested, just guessing...
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2006, 18:42:00 »
and patch those instead of the original files...

By 'Those' does that mean theres more then one data.pbo to copy ?

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2006, 18:56:30 »
You have to "apply patch" on all four data.pbo files.

OperationFlashpoint\DTA\data.pbo
OperationFlashpoint\DTA\HTWL\data.pbo
OperationFlashpoint\Res\DTA\data.pbo
OperationFlashpoint\Res\DTA\HTWL\data.pbo

remember to back up originals!
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2006, 18:56:59 by XCess »

Offline Nixer6

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2006, 19:35:10 »
I hope the flickering can be fixed. It would be a great update for OFP if fixed.
Why do I have to be a Rocket Scientist to make a good mission?

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2006, 23:17:22 »
Very nice looking! I haven't d/l it yet, but I can offer a few guesses on what the problem would be.

It seems like what this does is replace the textures for the drop particles used in smoke effects. Normally they are sorta these amorphous blobs of grey/yellow; these new ones look like they were lifted from actual photographs.

The 'blinking' most likely comes from the particles being dropped too quickly. Unlike the old amorphous blob particles, it would be really noticable when one of these detailed particles suddenly jumps in front of another one.

The solution might be to change the sections of the game's config.cpp that controls how the particles are dropped. Exactly which section this is, how it works, and what to change is beyond my knowledge, but conversion mods like the ECP, FFUR, FDF usually change this stuff, so somebody out there knows how :).
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2006, 02:18:05 »
Just tried it in ECP and it looks almost twice as good :D Next, to try it with a sky pack :D Who needs ArmA now?

@General Barron - Seems you were right. John is slowly down the drops as we speak I believe. His english isn't exactly the best in the world but I got the idea he's sending an update to cervo pretty soon or already has.

Am I the only one that thinks this mod (all the best mods come at <5mb) deserves a place on the front page?

Still, it's great for screenshots ;)

« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2006, 05:07:31 by XCess »