Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Hard questions lol  (Read 3289 times)

exigent

Hard questions lol
« on: 15 Aug 2005, 17:43:04 »
I'm working on a mission on the new Ocean Island with Bambi's new Blackops. I have several of them guarding a convoy of 3 vehicles (a Benz in the middle with a ford expedtions in the front and back). They are Blackwater Securty Personal guarding a politcal leader (he is in the middle car, the Benz). One of the car's got a flat tire and is getting fixed, then the terrisits ambush the convoy (which can't move). Now my questions:

1. They keep moving around, how can i prevent this? Currently there behaviour is set to Safe, i want them to just stay where they are, but they keep moving around. How can i prevent this?

2. When the enemies attack, these guys go after them and start scattering. I'm pretty sure this is involved with the "engage at will" command. I want them to take cover on behind the convoy. And not move anywhere else. How can i do this? Can i make a trigger which prevents them from leaving it after they find themselves under fire?

3. DONE

4. DONE

5. DONE

I know there long questions, but help would be greatly appreciated :) .
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2005, 23:14:13 by exigent »

bored_onion

Re:Hard questions lol
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2005, 19:06:14 »
1. set the fuel to 0 in the cars (set it to higher when you want to drive the middle one away).

2. try a "hold" waypoint around the cars

3. a "get in" waypoint??

4. difficult to get them to crouch - don't really know what to suggest

5. dont really understand why. make sure the vehicles are unlocked...

sorry these are pretty short answers, im not exactly whats going on sometimes :P
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2005, 19:07:02 by bored_onion »

exigent

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2005, 19:44:50 »
1. It's not the vehicles that are moving. The guys are already outside the vehicles, with a setbehaviour "SAFE", they keep moving around when i want them to not to move lol.

2. I'll be sure to try it.

3. But how could i do that? I want them to leave halfway through the ambush.

4. Aright n/p

5. Already got it fixed.

Thanks for your help. :)

bored_onion

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2005, 20:03:29 »
But how could i do that? I want them to leave halfway through the ambush.

get a trigger which activates after a certain number have died, after a certain objective is done or a time has elapsed (the latter being the easiest method). then synchronise it with the waypoint before the "get in" waypoint and it should switch to it when the time is right.

dan ick

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2005, 20:33:08 »
hey,

You can make them crouch like this but they almost,sorry always stand up,but you could have them stood up behind the car (if you wanted).This is how,

this setbehaviour "combat";this setunitpos "up";this switchmove "combattocrouch"

Put that in the init field of the soldier.(thats for as soon as they start)

If you wanted it to happen after a set amount of time then give your men names and replace 'this' with your soldiers  name.Put this in the on activ of a trigger.

As for getting in the cars you need to use the 'Assignasdriver' command.something like

unitname assignasdriver vehiclename

But with that you need to use 'ordergetin' command
Something like

unitname ordergetin true

But you will have to look this up in the common referance as iam fresh out of time.I have to go to work now :(.

Hope this has helped.

Dan ;D

exigent

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2005, 22:26:42 »
get a trigger which activates after a certain number have died, after a certain objective is done or a time has elapsed (the latter being the easiest method). then synchronise it with the waypoint before the "get in" waypoint and it should switch to it when the time is right.

Sorry but i don't understand. I'm new to mission editing/making.

Dan ick, i tryed it but didn't seemed to work? They went prone.

bored_onion

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2005, 22:38:31 »
sorry if the following is a little basic in places - im not sure how much you know

waypoints are used to get units to go to places. triggers make things happen as a results of other things happening. your trigger needs to "activate" after half the assault has elapsed so you need to have make it do this after a certain event occurs (such as a time period) so you could have the trigger as:

Activation: Resistance (or whatever side the terrorists are on) detected by East (or whatever side the convoy is on)

Then in the Countdown section put the figures you want for the amount of time to elapse before you want to get in the car.

This might be a bit basic and inflexible but it will do the job for now while you learn the ropes. Hope that helps a little.

Then find the waypoint before the "GET IN" waypoint and draw a synchronise line from the trigger flag to it. (use the tab or f5 to select it). this will mean that after combat has ensued for a length of time the guys will begin to get in the car.
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2005, 22:40:44 by bored_onion »

exigent

« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2005, 00:06:11 »
OMG! I got it to work!!! I'm so happy lol ;D.  But still more problems :P. The "GET IN" waypoint works, when the time is reached/finished they get in right away. Even if i'm like 100 yards away, they just are in the vehicle? How can i get them to walk there then enter the vehicle? ???

CHEACK FIRST POST IF YOU STILL WANT TO HELP, MUCH MORE HELP NEEDED.
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2005, 00:08:17 by exigent »

dan ick

« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2005, 01:18:06 »
[Dan ick, i tryed it but didn't seemed to work? They went prone.]

Hi,
 it should do (well it does for me),just try this setunitpos "up" on its own and see if it works.(put that in the init field of your soldier)

If it does not work let me know and we will figure something out.

Dan :-\
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2005, 01:18:56 by dan ick »

exigent

« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2005, 01:52:20 »
I can't put it in the init field. It has to go in a trigger because they all have there weapons in there back (this setbehaviour "SAFE") in the beginning. They're all standing infront of the convoy (protecting the VIP). I'll try it in a trigger though and report back.

***EDIT***

Aright that worked, but how do i get them to go crouch?
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2005, 02:07:59 by exigent »

funkster

« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2005, 08:02:02 »
Hey, havnt tried this myself, but from what I can gather, if you

setBehaviour "CARELESS"

then units wont react to firing, or anything else. So if you do that, then, as dan ick suggested

setunitpos "up";this switchmove "combattocrouch"

they should not react to firing, and stay crouched. However, once you want them to react and shoot, you will have to set their behaviour back to COMBAT or whatever, and not CARELESS. - once that happens, I dont think you will be able to get them to stay crouched.

Actually, when I think of this it may not work, but give it a try if you like...

bored_onion

« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2005, 09:30:42 »
The "GET IN" waypoint works, when the time is reached/finished they get in right away. Even if i'm like 100 yards away, they just are in the vehicle? How can i get them to walk there then enter the vehicle?

thats weird. try putting a move waypoint next to the convoy before the "GET IN". (make sure you're synchronising the trigger with the same waypoint as before). that should solve it - but it shouldnt be happening at all :P

When they get ambushed, how can i make them take cover and stay crouched? I don't want them to go prone?

take a look at this thread. its got a pretty basic script which keeps things crouched. its kind of inflexible though...

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=27;action=display;threadid=24748

to use it put the sqs file in the mission folder use the syntax which the author suggests. for more help on using scripts in missions then check this tutorial:

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=13

its quite a useful introduction. the editors depot also has lots of tutorials on loads of topics to do with editing and could help with some of your other problems.

EDIT: ok cant get the link to work. try a link to my search for it. its called A friendly introduction to code snippets

#  Link edited to fit on page by macguba[/size]
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2005, 11:29:39 by macguba »

exigent

« Reply #12 on: 16 Aug 2005, 17:48:21 »
@ Funster - Nope didn't work, they crouch for like a second (it's not even everyone), then get up.

@ Bored_onion - Nope that didn't work either, i keep getting an error message at the top (a blackbar with white letters over it). Don't know whats wrong ???. Also a move waypoint doesn't help, right when that waypoint is activated (through the countdown), they are in the vehicle. I put a countdown on the waypoint, was i supposed to do this? Or just have a countdown on the trigger?
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2005, 18:29:33 by exigent »

exigent

« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2005, 23:12:47 »
Aright i figured out # 4. I only have 2 more questions left, can someone please help on them? Especially the 2nd one :-\.

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2005, 23:19:31 »
To keep the men from moving, use:
DisableAI "TARGET"
and
DisableAI "MOVE"

-Student Pilot

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #15 on: 17 Aug 2005, 23:20:04 »
Look into the commands

disableAI
allowfleeing

Not sure if it will help.   You can't re-enable AI but you can check who is alive, and delete and replace them while the player isn't looking.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

exigent

« Reply #16 on: 18 Aug 2005, 00:31:51 »
But once the enemy start attacking, they still stay in the same postions? It works, but is there a way can i get them to take cover behind the convoy once ambushed?

@ - macguba - Sorry but what do i do with those? Or how do i enable them, sorry im new to editing lol.
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2005, 00:32:52 by exigent »

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: 18 Aug 2005, 00:41:11 »
As soon as the two commands I gave you are activated, the units should not move anymore.  Maybe you can set it up so that when the ambush starts, the men get out of the vehicles and run to their positions.  Then, once at their positions, you activate those commands so they don't move.  Something like this:

man1 domove getpos SomePos
@unitready man1
man1 disableAI "Target"
man1 disableAI "Move"

This isn't a solution, I'm just showing you an example of what you could try doing.

-Student Pilot

exigent

« Reply #18 on: 18 Aug 2005, 01:16:21 »
Ya you're right that can work  :o. But how can i make each soldier move the the exact location i want them to move (this being behind the 3 vehicles)?

Here is what else i need help with:

1. Having the blackops go crouch not prone.

2. Have them move to the exact location i want them to move (this being behind the vehicles).

3. Prevent the blackops from being ignorant and go right up to the enemy, i want them to stay put (not using the DisableAI Move), but move around a little bit to avoid enemy fire.

:)
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2005, 01:20:55 by exigent »

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
  • Llama, it's what's for dinner.
« Reply #19 on: 18 Aug 2005, 02:01:50 »
you could try a looped domove command

#loop
unit domove pos_by_the_car
~5
goto "loop"

exigent

« Reply #20 on: 18 Aug 2005, 02:12:40 »
Huh? Sorry lol but i am not sure what to do with that? Let alone, idk even know what loop means :-[ :P lol.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #21 on: 18 Aug 2005, 14:59:23 »
Read

Abuu's basic editing tutorial
snYpir's Friendly Intro to Code Snippets
Johan Gustafsson's Scripting tutorial

in that order.    Then the last few posts will become much clearer.   ;)

bored_onion

« Reply #22 on: 18 Aug 2005, 15:41:36 »
A wee couple of thoughts...

it definitely sounds like your trying to create a shoot out scenario using objects for cover - which is in itself no bad thing. however, flashpoint is a military combat simulator and was never really intended for close/mid quarters fighting like in an FPS. therefore, the problems you will encounter whilst trying to make men duck by cars are probably solvable with some really clever scripts but probably unsurmountable without at least a working knowledge of editing and scripting. the mission sounds cool but my friendly recommendation would be to put it on ice until youve got more basic stuff sorted. otherwise you will be wading against a tide of terminology and syntax which will just make things harder to solve if stuff goes wrong.

I could be wrong. You might solve it tomorrow  :-X but this isnt all easy stuff sometimes.

exigent

« Reply #23 on: 18 Aug 2005, 16:23:54 »
Lol i do agree with you, but hey i think the mission is very cool. I mean when i duck behind the cars i could shoot the people with no problem. It's just that when my team runs up to them one by one, the convoy get's over run :-\.

Thanks for your info everyone i'll try it out, and report back :).

exigent

« Reply #24 on: 18 Aug 2005, 16:51:21 »
Aright must of that stuff i already knew, i'm sorry but that was just a waste of time. Maybe the Snypir's tut would have tought me stuff but i don't want to learn all that, i'm to busy. Johan Gustafsson's Scripting tutorial was the same.

TriggerHappy - Do you want me to put that into sqs file? If so do you want me to activiate through a trigger after?

dan ick

« Reply #25 on: 18 Aug 2005, 18:33:41 »
Hi again,

[Aright must of that stuff i already knew, i'm sorry but that was just a waste of time. Maybe the Snypir's tut would have tought me stuff but i don't want to learn all that, i'm to busy. Johan Gustafsson's Scripting tutorial was the same.]

Unfortunately you will have to learn all of this stuff,as you will get nowhere without it.All i did was read the tuts a few times and it startedn to click into place,i also just read page after page of forum threads and you can find dangerously useful info by looking through the forum.Or if you are looking for a specific thing then you can use the search,I thought i new a bit but compared to most members on this site i know diddly squat.Dont know how but you will have to make time to learn, if you want to make exciting missions. :P

Anyway,did you want to see your men run into position,cause if not,you could use the setmarkerpos command and move them directly onto markers in the exact place although i have not really used this command much,so dont know how pinpoint it is to the marker.
Also you could maybe run a small cutscene or a blackout to hide them being zapped into position.

Something like this:

unitname setpos (getmarkerpos "markername")

Obviously you have to put a marker with a name wher you want him to be.
But if you want to see them run into place this is of no use.

Hope it helps matey :-\

Dan

exigent

« Reply #26 on: 18 Aug 2005, 19:40:38 »
@ dan ick - Wow that was cool, it worked! :o I placed a trigger for them to go there, but i don't like using the countdown thing (how can i make once they detect the enemy they move there?

Also if anyone knows how to use this method by running it work be cool ;D.

Thanks dan ick. :)

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
« Reply #27 on: 19 Aug 2005, 00:43:24 »
exigent yes my code would run in an sqs
you would just call it whenever you needed them to go, and i could add an extra line that would make them stop when you want them to
the advantage of mine would be that they would actually run to their spots
obviously you would change the pos_by_the_car to the position you needed, like getmarkerpos "markername" or getpos jeepname or something similar

exigent

« Reply #28 on: 19 Aug 2005, 02:06:46 »
Sorry but what do you mean "i can get them to stop when i want them to"? I would like them to run there and not move at all if you can do that?

obviously you would change the pos_by_the_car to the position you needed, like getmarkerpos "markername" or getpos jeepname or something similar

What do you mean? Here is what i think you want me to do.

1. Make a sqs file with that code inside it.

2. Make markers behind the cars for where i want the people to go.

3. Name each marker and change "pos_by_the_car" (in the sqs file) to the name of the marker.

Am i correct so far or do i change/add/remove anything else? Also would it work if i put the "namehere.sqs" in a trigger (i.e. - guy1 exec. namehere.sqs)?

Just to make sure, they will run to the marker postion? ;D
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2005, 02:10:03 by exigent »

dan ick

« Reply #29 on: 19 Aug 2005, 15:59:41 »
hi matey,

Try putting a gamelogic down where you want them to go or suppose you could use the markers or whatever you like anyway.

unitname move position gamelogicname or markername

Also if you want them to face a set direction try

unitname setdir 90 (or whatever direction you want 180,100 etc....).

Although dont know how well they will do at being dead on the gl or marker.Its just a thought anyway.

Dan. :-*

exigent

« Reply #30 on: 19 Aug 2005, 17:38:14 »
There is a problem, the leader tells his whole group to move there.

dan ick

« Reply #31 on: 19 Aug 2005, 21:22:03 »
Hi,

Does your mission start with the man fixing the car,cos if so you can ungroup your men but keep them pretty close together at the start and then have them move to the markers.Then use the 'join' command to group them together when they need to escape.

[unitname,unitname,unitname] join unitname-(the leader)

It would probably be easier to write it all in notepad and run a simple script with all the commands so your triggers wont be filled with code (not that it matters just gets a bit messy)
Someone will probably come up with something better than this but this is just another thought.

Hope it helps :-\

Dan ;D
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2005, 21:25:08 by dan ick »

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
« Reply #32 on: 20 Aug 2005, 01:20:15 »
dan move is a group command, so you would use domove on single units

@exigent
place a gamelogic or a marker, it doesn't matter
then you would do exactly what you stated earlier. by "stop them when you want to" i meant i could tell them to return to "normal" behavior

if you are using this on a lot of people i would recommend this:
[unitname,(getpos gamelogic_name)] exec "whateveryounameit.sqs"

Code: [Select]
_unit = _this select 0
_pos = _this select 1
#loop
_unit domove _pos
~5
goto "loop"

that way you can use the same script on every unit, simply by changing the unit name and gamelogic that you use when calling the script

dan ick

« Reply #33 on: 20 Aug 2005, 01:28:21 »
triggerhappy-if you are talking about move position,try it with a single unit,it does work on gls.
If your not talking about that sorry for the mix up.

Arrr wait i see not on markers :-[,Its just from the post i did before i said markers or gls.

Soz matey. :P
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2005, 01:34:09 by dan ick »

exigent

« Reply #34 on: 20 Aug 2005, 03:09:38 »
Arigth trigger-happy it worked great news! lol. But can you incorpate something into the script that will make them crouched? Also it doesn't seem to work when i use a marker. Do you know why? I find them easier to use and more acurate, the gamelogic is such a big flag lol :P.

exigent

« Reply #35 on: 20 Aug 2005, 22:45:21 »
Also if i use this in the inti field of the soldiers:

this disableai move

How can i reactivate them to move in a trigger? Or if i use that loop script from trigger happy, does that make them not move? Also how can i activiate a trigger when they see the enemy? ???

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #36 on: 21 Aug 2005, 00:40:20 »
How can i reactivate them to move in a trigger
You can't.   Although you can delete the unit and replace it with an identical one, preferably when you know the player isn't looking.

Also how can i activiate a trigger when they see the enemy
Errr ... East detected by West or whatever.
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2005, 00:40:37 by macguba »

exigent

« Reply #37 on: 21 Aug 2005, 01:21:27 »
Aright thanks for the info :).

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
« Reply #38 on: 21 Aug 2005, 02:48:06 »
to make it work with a marker you would use getmarkerpos "marker" rather than getpos gl

exigent

« Reply #39 on: 21 Aug 2005, 02:55:34 »
"getmarkerpos"? What do you mean? In the inti field you put:

[unitname,(getpos gamelogic_name)] exec "whateveryounameit.sqs"

do you want me to replace getpos with getmarkerpos?

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
« Reply #40 on: 21 Aug 2005, 02:59:56 »
if you want to use a marker yes

EDIT:you didn't actually save it as whateveryounameit.sqs did you? ::) :P :o
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2005, 03:01:08 by Triggerhappy »

exigent

« Reply #41 on: 21 Aug 2005, 03:40:41 »
LOL no. Also thanks once again ;D. lol one more thing, at the end of the sqs. file it says "goto loop". How about if i have 7 gamelogics named loop1, loop2, etc? ??? you know for each person.

Wait, there's more lol.

I want to put this in a trigger:

this setbehaviour "combat";this setunitpos "up";this switchmove "combattocrouch"

But how can i put so that it does it for the whole squad? I don't want to it put in a trigger 8 tims (to messY), so i just want to know how can i have so i put it in a trigger and the whole squad would do it?
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2005, 04:01:31 by exigent »

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
« Reply #42 on: 21 Aug 2005, 05:43:32 »
thats not how goto works

do this:
[[[unit1,unit2,etc,etc...],[gamelogic1,gamlogic2,etc,etc...]]]exec "script.sqs"

Code: [Select]
_all_units = _this select 0
_all_positions = _this select 0
_i = 0
#loop
_unit = _all_units select _i
_pos = getpos (_all_positions select _i)
_unit domove _pos
_i = _i + 1
?_i < (count _all_units):goto "loop"
~5
_i = 0
goto "loop"

you have to put the units in the same order as the positions to move to
so if unit5 is fifth in the unit list, his position gamlelogic5 would have to be fifth in the other list