Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Hard questions lol  (Read 3286 times)

exigent

Hard questions lol
« on: 15 Aug 2005, 17:43:04 »
I'm working on a mission on the new Ocean Island with Bambi's new Blackops. I have several of them guarding a convoy of 3 vehicles (a Benz in the middle with a ford expedtions in the front and back). They are Blackwater Securty Personal guarding a politcal leader (he is in the middle car, the Benz). One of the car's got a flat tire and is getting fixed, then the terrisits ambush the convoy (which can't move). Now my questions:

1. They keep moving around, how can i prevent this? Currently there behaviour is set to Safe, i want them to just stay where they are, but they keep moving around. How can i prevent this?

2. When the enemies attack, these guys go after them and start scattering. I'm pretty sure this is involved with the "engage at will" command. I want them to take cover on behind the convoy. And not move anywhere else. How can i do this? Can i make a trigger which prevents them from leaving it after they find themselves under fire?

3. DONE

4. DONE

5. DONE

I know there long questions, but help would be greatly appreciated :) .
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2005, 23:14:13 by exigent »

bored_onion

Re:Hard questions lol
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2005, 19:06:14 »
1. set the fuel to 0 in the cars (set it to higher when you want to drive the middle one away).

2. try a "hold" waypoint around the cars

3. a "get in" waypoint??

4. difficult to get them to crouch - don't really know what to suggest

5. dont really understand why. make sure the vehicles are unlocked...

sorry these are pretty short answers, im not exactly whats going on sometimes :P
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2005, 19:07:02 by bored_onion »

exigent

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2005, 19:44:50 »
1. It's not the vehicles that are moving. The guys are already outside the vehicles, with a setbehaviour "SAFE", they keep moving around when i want them to not to move lol.

2. I'll be sure to try it.

3. But how could i do that? I want them to leave halfway through the ambush.

4. Aright n/p

5. Already got it fixed.

Thanks for your help. :)

bored_onion

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2005, 20:03:29 »
But how could i do that? I want them to leave halfway through the ambush.

get a trigger which activates after a certain number have died, after a certain objective is done or a time has elapsed (the latter being the easiest method). then synchronise it with the waypoint before the "get in" waypoint and it should switch to it when the time is right.

dan ick

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2005, 20:33:08 »
hey,

You can make them crouch like this but they almost,sorry always stand up,but you could have them stood up behind the car (if you wanted).This is how,

this setbehaviour "combat";this setunitpos "up";this switchmove "combattocrouch"

Put that in the init field of the soldier.(thats for as soon as they start)

If you wanted it to happen after a set amount of time then give your men names and replace 'this' with your soldiers  name.Put this in the on activ of a trigger.

As for getting in the cars you need to use the 'Assignasdriver' command.something like

unitname assignasdriver vehiclename

But with that you need to use 'ordergetin' command
Something like

unitname ordergetin true

But you will have to look this up in the common referance as iam fresh out of time.I have to go to work now :(.

Hope this has helped.

Dan ;D

exigent

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2005, 22:26:42 »
get a trigger which activates after a certain number have died, after a certain objective is done or a time has elapsed (the latter being the easiest method). then synchronise it with the waypoint before the "get in" waypoint and it should switch to it when the time is right.

Sorry but i don't understand. I'm new to mission editing/making.

Dan ick, i tryed it but didn't seemed to work? They went prone.

bored_onion

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2005, 22:38:31 »
sorry if the following is a little basic in places - im not sure how much you know

waypoints are used to get units to go to places. triggers make things happen as a results of other things happening. your trigger needs to "activate" after half the assault has elapsed so you need to have make it do this after a certain event occurs (such as a time period) so you could have the trigger as:

Activation: Resistance (or whatever side the terrorists are on) detected by East (or whatever side the convoy is on)

Then in the Countdown section put the figures you want for the amount of time to elapse before you want to get in the car.

This might be a bit basic and inflexible but it will do the job for now while you learn the ropes. Hope that helps a little.

Then find the waypoint before the "GET IN" waypoint and draw a synchronise line from the trigger flag to it. (use the tab or f5 to select it). this will mean that after combat has ensued for a length of time the guys will begin to get in the car.
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2005, 22:40:44 by bored_onion »

exigent

« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2005, 00:06:11 »
OMG! I got it to work!!! I'm so happy lol ;D.  But still more problems :P. The "GET IN" waypoint works, when the time is reached/finished they get in right away. Even if i'm like 100 yards away, they just are in the vehicle? How can i get them to walk there then enter the vehicle? ???

CHEACK FIRST POST IF YOU STILL WANT TO HELP, MUCH MORE HELP NEEDED.
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2005, 00:08:17 by exigent »

dan ick

« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2005, 01:18:06 »
[Dan ick, i tryed it but didn't seemed to work? They went prone.]

Hi,
 it should do (well it does for me),just try this setunitpos "up" on its own and see if it works.(put that in the init field of your soldier)

If it does not work let me know and we will figure something out.

Dan :-\
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2005, 01:18:56 by dan ick »

exigent

« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2005, 01:52:20 »
I can't put it in the init field. It has to go in a trigger because they all have there weapons in there back (this setbehaviour "SAFE") in the beginning. They're all standing infront of the convoy (protecting the VIP). I'll try it in a trigger though and report back.

***EDIT***

Aright that worked, but how do i get them to go crouch?
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2005, 02:07:59 by exigent »

funkster

« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2005, 08:02:02 »
Hey, havnt tried this myself, but from what I can gather, if you

setBehaviour "CARELESS"

then units wont react to firing, or anything else. So if you do that, then, as dan ick suggested

setunitpos "up";this switchmove "combattocrouch"

they should not react to firing, and stay crouched. However, once you want them to react and shoot, you will have to set their behaviour back to COMBAT or whatever, and not CARELESS. - once that happens, I dont think you will be able to get them to stay crouched.

Actually, when I think of this it may not work, but give it a try if you like...

bored_onion

« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2005, 09:30:42 »
The "GET IN" waypoint works, when the time is reached/finished they get in right away. Even if i'm like 100 yards away, they just are in the vehicle? How can i get them to walk there then enter the vehicle?

thats weird. try putting a move waypoint next to the convoy before the "GET IN". (make sure you're synchronising the trigger with the same waypoint as before). that should solve it - but it shouldnt be happening at all :P

When they get ambushed, how can i make them take cover and stay crouched? I don't want them to go prone?

take a look at this thread. its got a pretty basic script which keeps things crouched. its kind of inflexible though...

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=27;action=display;threadid=24748

to use it put the sqs file in the mission folder use the syntax which the author suggests. for more help on using scripts in missions then check this tutorial:

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=13

its quite a useful introduction. the editors depot also has lots of tutorials on loads of topics to do with editing and could help with some of your other problems.

EDIT: ok cant get the link to work. try a link to my search for it. its called A friendly introduction to code snippets

#  Link edited to fit on page by macguba[/size]
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2005, 11:29:39 by macguba »

exigent

« Reply #12 on: 16 Aug 2005, 17:48:21 »
@ Funster - Nope didn't work, they crouch for like a second (it's not even everyone), then get up.

@ Bored_onion - Nope that didn't work either, i keep getting an error message at the top (a blackbar with white letters over it). Don't know whats wrong ???. Also a move waypoint doesn't help, right when that waypoint is activated (through the countdown), they are in the vehicle. I put a countdown on the waypoint, was i supposed to do this? Or just have a countdown on the trigger?
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2005, 18:29:33 by exigent »

exigent

« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2005, 23:12:47 »
Aright i figured out # 4. I only have 2 more questions left, can someone please help on them? Especially the 2nd one :-\.

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2005, 23:19:31 »
To keep the men from moving, use:
DisableAI "TARGET"
and
DisableAI "MOVE"

-Student Pilot