Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Modern War in the Malden Islands  (Read 1902 times)

Offline crave22

• Members
  • Wheeeeeee!!!!!!
    • OpSomme
Modern War in the Malden Islands
« on: 12 Aug 2005, 03:28:46 »
I've had this idea for some time where you play as Nogovan SpecOps in the near future (2006-07). In this mission, a civil war breaks out in the unstable Republic of Malden. NATO sends a peacekeeping task force which includes the newly inducted Nogova and possibly Russia (remember, the Cold War is officially over...). Anyway, peace is restored, but Everon gets angry with NATO, and executes terrorist attacks in Nogova because it is the closest NATO country.

In response, your squad is inserted into Everon to kill commanders, ambush convoys, destroy supply depots, etc. To do this you may also be assisted by Rangers, SAS, and who could forget, SpetzNatz! Don't know who you would use as the Nogovans or the Everonians, but this is just an idea. You could even turn it into a campaign with missions about the invasion of Malden and peacekeeping operations. Any input is welcome.

Stinky Nut Rappa

Re:Modern War in the Malden Islands
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2005, 12:04:52 »
sounds good but remember, nogova would be only like 20 years old when you set your mission. there will probably be an isreal/palestine thing going on there. an invasion of malden doesnt sound very peacekeeping. how about being an agent inserted into the terrorist community as a spy. finding out information and then assisting in a specops raid. there are some everon/malden soldiers on ofp.gamezone.cz but i dont know how good they are. i think that this idea could turn into a really good campaign

oh and russia isnt part of nato im afraid so if you want them in it will have to be a un task force
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2005, 12:05:45 by Stinky Nut Rappa »

Offline crave22

• Members
  • Wheeeeeee!!!!!!
    • OpSomme
« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2005, 15:15:36 »
That sounds pretty good too. Also, I know Russia isn't a part of NATO right now. ::) However, alot can happen in one or two years since this is set in '06 or '07. A spy idea is pretty good, though. I just thought that since most of the missions made on the original islands take place in the seventies or eighties, this might mix it up a little bit. ;)

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
  • Let's make OFPEC great again
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2005, 08:02:12 »
From what I've read your mission sounds good and looks like it can get in depth. Althogh, I think by what you description said of it that you would probbaly need a pretty good intro, using cutscenes, also possibly scripting.

You see with missions these days there are so many out there that don't have cutscenes and scripting in it. So I think if you're mission is to be exciting to the player you would need to have an interesting intro that makes the mission playable to the player. Good idea though..

NightJay0044
Who's hyped for Arma4, long live Arma!

Offline crave22

• Members
  • Wheeeeeee!!!!!!
    • OpSomme
« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2005, 21:45:23 »
Thanks. However, that could be a little bit of a problem... I can script, but cutscenes are my weakness, always have been. I've been through snYper's tut millions of times, but I still can't get it to where I want it. Anyway, thanks for the comment! I'll try to practice some cutscenes some more.  ;)

Dubieman

« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2005, 00:44:06 »
Urgh, you didn't read Messiah's Camera.sqs yet have you?

snYpir puts down the basics but that method of making a cutscene is outdated and the camera.sqs is much better. Look or search the ed depot.   ;)

Offline crave22

• Members
  • Wheeeeeee!!!!!!
    • OpSomme
« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2005, 13:31:47 »
Wow... :o... No, I guess I never did read that. Thanks for telling me about it, I never would have even looked for it if you didn't tell me about it.Thanks, GRK. :D

Stinky Nut Rappa

« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2005, 11:25:28 »
i was thinking how are u going to get russians on the west side, the only way i can think of is putting them under a west officer but that will look dodgy

hers a list of some organisations russia is part of: UN, CSCE (Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe), Commonwealth of Independent States, North Atlantic Cooperation Council. I think CSCE is the one you want. it contains all members of warsaw pact and nato and it is a peacekeeping force

Offline crave22

• Members
  • Wheeeeeee!!!!!!
    • OpSomme
« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2005, 22:18:36 »
Well, for a while I've been (I'll say "experimenting") with having Russians in west groups. It doesn't look that great with conventional infantry, but special forces have been known to work co-operatively. As for general infantry, I usually put "None" in the "Special" area in the editor, put the unit commander as a west unit, put him out of the way, and do a This setdamage 1 on him. (of course with AI groups only) It takes a few seconds for the AI to realise what happened, but after that they continue fighting for the west. It can get a little annoying doing that for every group (unless you copy and paste), but it is easy. 8)

*EDIT* Thanks for the list of organizations Russia's in. That could be useful... :)
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2005, 22:20:05 by crave22 »

Dubieman

« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2005, 18:54:59 »
Why setdammage 1? Use the health slider on the units dialogue menu in the editor or just set probability of presence to 0.

Grr wish I could contribute to the actual idea itself. :P

Offline crave22

• Members
  • Wheeeeeee!!!!!!
    • OpSomme
« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2005, 22:09:08 »
I dunno why. For some reason the only time that works for me is when they aren't in a group. However, I either use setdamage or I just put 'em in water. ;) Either one does the trick.

Stinky Nut Rappa

« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2005, 12:34:48 »
yeah but if they went in water wouldn't the rest of the squad follow like sheep?

Offline crave22

• Members
  • Wheeeeeee!!!!!!
    • OpSomme
« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2005, 14:42:44 »
 ::) They would if the "Special" area was set to "In Formation". But since it's set to "None", they'll just stand there for a few seconds asking "Where Are You?". Then they'll get the idea he's dead and move on. At least that's how it happens for me all the time.    :P