Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: A stargate  (Read 3095 times)

typhoon123

A stargate
« on: 11 Aug 2005, 17:55:56 »
HI as you may or may not know i am creating a mod for flashpoint based on stargate i was just wondering, would it be possible for a stargate to be created (that teleported the player to somewhere else on the map) if so, and if you can could you please make it, i will give the website in due time

Flashpoint is the key to SG1, and a stargate of course

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
Re:A stargate
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2005, 18:18:32 »
IÂ'm not really into sci fi stuff, but itÂ's possible. You can do it with normal triggers.

When a person or vehicle enters the trigger area, the are setPos'ed to the desired location. This is how the gates work in the movies, right?

So, the model for the stargate just has to look cool, I suppose. It doesn't have to have much fancy scripts included in it. I would guess that you can borrow a lot of ideas from BAS Chinooks helicopters. Download the ME-47E, unPbo it and have a look inside. BAS used a cargo script that relied on setPos (I think). When a vehicle entered a certain area (inside the helicopter, to be exact) it was setPosed in the cargo space until you released it via the action menu.
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2005, 20:06:54 »
you just need a circular model of the stargate, and a nice drop script to reproduce something like the swirly water-type stuff when it's activated. then the setposing stuff is child's play.

i'm tempted to have a go at the drop script in fact... it may look less water-like and more swirly-vortex, but you don't mind that, do you? ;)
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2005, 20:08:21 by bedges »

typhoon123

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2005, 20:26:46 »
That would look pretty cool, i suppose there is a way somewhere to get that water effect but at this point i would be happy with anything, the problem now is creating the actual stargate model :) and im no 3d modeller ??? also would it be possible to create a DHD (dial home device) that you could use to activate the stargate

Flashpoint is the key to SG1

Take a look at http://www.geocities.com/y00teja/ for the SG1 mod temporary website, its pretty naf at the moment but as soon as i get a reply from the web server that i am wanting to
use the site will improve dramatically

does the setpos command require X,Y,Z coordinates or can you get it to go to another trigger if so how? thnx again
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2005, 20:28:55 by typhoon123 »

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2005, 20:48:05 »
name the triggers and they will behave like anything else with a name, i.e.

Code: [Select]
unit_name setpos [getpos trigger_name select 0, getpos trigger_name select 1]
see?

as for the dhd device, that's just another model, with a small trigger over it which adds an action to the player, perhaps calls up a dialog where the player can select various addresses by matching the symbols... ooh, you could have so much fun with this... although -

isn't this bordering on sci-fi?

typhoon123

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2005, 21:01:21 »
it is based on a sci fi show but it is possible, so there you go thanks for the help anyway i shall have much fun with this project ;D
that is a very simple script, i am hardly a scripting guru, could you show me some links to more advanced scripting tutorials thanks  ???

« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2005, 21:03:04 by typhoon123 »

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2005, 21:10:29 »
From OPflashpoint.org news

Not all is lost.

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2005, 21:12:36 »
start here.

typhoon123

« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2005, 21:13:04 »
Bloody hell that looks amazing, is it available for download or not?
That is exactly what i have been looking for, if the aurthor allow me this will really help my mod what can i say but WOW

Thanks a lot

what is the exact web address
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2005, 21:14:59 by typhoon123 »

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2005, 21:18:11 »
look at this and search here...

typhoon123

« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug 2005, 21:26:13 »
I can see my mod is in tough competition i have downloaded a stargate 3ds file i have found along with a dhd (with the creators permision of course) is there anyway to convert it to P3d and how, this is great thnx

I am writing some of the scripts as i speak

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug 2005, 21:40:36 »
isn't this bordering on sci-fi?

Last time I made the same remark I was informed that the addons depot only contain realistic stuff.

Editing questions are answered even if they contain sci-fi stuff. The news department even had some silly mechanic spider that could go invisible once.

ThatÂ's a good rule I think. And nothing serves the community better than a happy addonmaker/scripter. Even if itÂ's sci fi stuff, it may be useful for realistic addon making too
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2005, 21:41:50 by nominesine »
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

typhoon123

« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2005, 22:01:06 »
Thanks all anyway, is there any working stargate i can download to have a look at the config and the scripts?

Flashpoint is the key to stargate

every time i try to get onto the project stargate website a login screen comes up and i dont see nosign up!! whats up
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2005, 22:07:06 by typhoon123 »

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2005, 22:40:35 »
Just one little stupid question: where it will those stargates leads?  200 meters from here?  On another island?  In another galaxy?  In another game?

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug 2005, 01:51:35 »
Hmmmm, this one is a bit border line, but I won't lock it.

I think the authors original query has been answered so I will leave him to 'solve' this topic rather than me locking it before it starts getting off topic.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.