Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Coop Defense Idea  (Read 915 times)

Gilvado

Coop Defense Idea
« on: 06 Aug 2005, 02:39:04 »
Ok, so I've never made a map before, but I figure: it's better late than never, eh? This is my idea: an arcade-y massive invasion map (yes you'd need powerful computers) where an island is steadily attacked from 2 or 3 fronts by multiple waves of enemies: Beach assault, then airlifted men/vehicles, where they slowly move in and take towns. The objective is to keep them out of some city in the center of the map for X minutes. Every town has defenders, but all will eventually be overrun by the successive waves of enemies. The players are elite black ops (of course) that would fly around in a pimped out black hawk from hot spot to hot spot, continuesly pushing back the enemy attacks, and eventually having to fall back due to superior numbers. When the timer is up, a massive wave of some or some other type of allied reinforcements arrives, and the mission ends.

A few things I'd want to include:

Allied spawn (after 5-10 seconds) beside the black hawk if it's on the ground, in it if it's in the air. If it dies, another one respawns at the center city (and subsequent dead players respawn at the new one, etc).

Enemies that actually shoot the black hawk (is it just me, or do A.I. not seem to shoot at helicopters unless they're in like a shilka or something).

Black Hawk to have a bunch of different weapons and ammo spawn in it automatically.

- Not quite as important, but a script whereby players can designate something with a laser targetter or something like that, and it appear as a waypoint for all the other players -- to facilitate ambushes, pickups (laser the ground near your feet...) etc.

Uhhh... that's pretty much it.

So like I said: Arcade-y, not that realistic, but I think it'd be fun. If anyone has done something like this, I'd love to check it out, and if anyone has any suggestions/locations of some scripts that could do that stuff ( or suggestions for good tutorials for me to start learning this stuff  ::) ) that'd be really appreciated.

Gilvado

Offline .pablo.

• Former Staff
  • When in doubt, empty the magazine.
Re:Coop Defense Idea
« Reply #1 on: 08 Aug 2005, 22:14:40 »
reminds me of the "starship troopers" missions in starcraft ;D

the big problem that you'd face is that creating lots of units while in-game can cause a lot of lag; if you do try to make it, i suggest you create units in waves, and make sure that units aren't being created while the player is fighting (ie, create wave 1, wave 1 attacks, wave 1 destroyed; create wave 2, etc.)  where each wave is slightly larger than the previous one.  you'd also want to delete bodies to reduce lag...

to learn to make SP missions (the first step to making MP missions):
http://www.ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=118

to learn MP editing (more complicated than making SP missions):
http://www.ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=120

anyway, that's all i could think of to help out.  good luck!