Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Iraq map  (Read 4250 times)

kobay

Iraq map
« on: 07 Jul 2005, 16:03:51 »
Hello again,

Here is Iraq map

http://rapidshare.de/files/2872314/Iraq1.0.rar.html

The Iraq map is made with help of actual map of region.
Most of towns are reconstructed in simple ways as with help of some little maps taken on tv.
I know is longer to be detailed as in real, but think to be simple use to make some nice tank and air missions.

Let me know

UAH! Kobay

DBR_ONIX

Re:Iraq map
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jul 2005, 16:25:31 »
 ;D
What addons does it use?
- Ben

kobay

« Reply #2 on: 07 Jul 2005, 16:31:49 »
Well....no addons  ;D

Ya Ya  :-\

Offline Ding

• Contributing Member
  • Jurassic Park
« Reply #3 on: 07 Jul 2005, 18:53:15 »
If i see one more rapidshare.de link i will scream, honestly there are easier ways to upload, i will upload it to my ftp so that everyone can have a good download

ok here you go:

http://popka3.dajoob.com/Iraq.rar
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2005, 19:51:45 by Ding »
"If I remain lost and die on a cross, atleast I wasn't born in a manger"

Offline Chammy

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: 08 Jul 2005, 06:56:17 »
Woohooo!!   (Homer style)

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: 09 Jul 2005, 01:51:31 »
Looks good!  There are a few bugs I found, there are at least two areas on the highway in the northeast where the telephone poles are in the middle of the highway.  Also, the rivers are a bit blocky.  Try using the blur feature in the terrain tool in WRPTool.  Other than that, the map looks great!  The dunes look nice, the cities seem well presented, and I love the highway off-ramps.  The attention to detail is great.

I do have one question, every so often along the highway I see craters and burnt out jeeps.  Why are they there?

-Student Pilot

kobay

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2005, 08:09:10 »
Hi pilot!

i'm happy to see that you and all like my maps.

about the bug that you find i'll fix it in next days, some time i try so  many times the maps that i dont see the mistakes. thanks

Well about the crates and crashed jeeps, i've seen on many picture on tv that along the way to bagdag there is al lot of bombed places were during the 1st iraq war the coalition stopped the iraqy troop by bombing convoy. So i thought that it will be nice reproduce some of that areas.

i'm going to start now

UAH!
Kobay

Offline sim

• Members
  • Hot! Real hot! Damn Hot!
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2005, 11:49:46 »
Finally an Iraq map!  :)
Test in a bit, sounds quite interresting  ;)
The Unsung Campaign Team Leader

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2005, 14:57:13 »
@Kobay
Ok, that makes sense.  It looks good

-Student Pilot

Offline Max_Power

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2005, 12:06:08 »
The 'highway of death' was actually highway route 80 connecting Kuwait to Basra.  It runs from Kuwait City to Abdali in Kuwait, and then through Safwan in Iraq, then off to Basra.  It got its name from a controversial decision on the part of the American military brass to strafe the withdrawling Iraqi army, destroying fifteen hundred vehicles (military and otherwise).  

I'm not sure how many destroyed vehicles were actually in Iraq- I would tend to believe that they were more on the kuwait side of the border- but never-the-less, the highway of death is an important part of the history of Operation Desert Storm.

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 02 Aug 2005, 22:23:22 »
And I bet there's more destroyed vehicles now becuase of IRAQ 2: Back to the Gulf.

Anyhow, to the addon. There are a couple of problems that I found with it.
1.The bridges need some help. Some aren't level with the ground they're connected with, and almost all of them have sections that are overlapping, unconnected or of different heights.

2.The Iraq OFP Menu anim doesn't play after I played a mission on the Iraq island. I tried it with the anim folder in the Addons folder and the Res/Addons folder, both to no avail.

3.Some of the dirt roads are too far from the main roads at the connections, so it is easy to miss a side road. I don't know if this is intentional or not.

Other than that, it looks like a great island. The cities are nicely done. I didn't know that much of Iraq was destroyed, but anyway, keep up the good work!

Edit: Looking at it again it would be nice if you did use an addon, either Updated Afghanistan or a Middle Eastern object pack. That way, the houses in the desert wouldn't all have to be destroyed ones (I think there should be some that are standing). Also, you could then replace all the churches with mosques.
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2005, 20:44:39 by Morglor9 »
Cymbaline

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
« Reply #11 on: 07 Aug 2005, 11:49:45 »
hmm - an iraq map without addons i can't imagine (furthermore
i don't want to imagine)  ::)

The terrain layout and the arrangement of buildings from
ofp (no_addons) can be perfect, but there will never be
a feeling of being in iraq.

This is the same like you read in a briefing that you're a cowboy
(with us army equipment) and those russians over there
mounted onto bmp's should be indians on horses with bows
and spears.

There are lots of middle eastern object already available, and
guess what - there are some more being planned  ;)

arabic objects project

~S~ CD
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2005, 11:50:24 by Chris Death »
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: 08 Aug 2005, 17:16:50 »
Yes, Chris Death and Morglor9 might be right.  Maybe make an addon and addon-free version?

-Student Pilot

klavan

« Reply #13 on: 08 Aug 2005, 21:15:08 »
I agree with all you guys: this map need some addons (not too many, i think however).
The substantial lack of Iraqi islands is a shame for the community. This map is basically well done and i really like the idea of making a "on-scale" map.
There are some minor issues, but with few adjustements this should become a great map.
Also, i'd like to see more denses urban areas and maybe some scatarred building here and there.
Keep up the good work, kobay!
Non fare il pigro: fai girare wrptool!  ;)
(traslate: Don't be lazy: run wrptool!)
Klavan
« Last Edit: 08 Aug 2005, 21:16:22 by klavan »

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #14 on: 19 Aug 2005, 06:14:25 »
Also, using an addon pack such as Ags Industrial you can create oil refineries and fields, which is an important part of Iraq's economy.
Cymbaline