Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Billboards/Signs  (Read 3483 times)

Kaliyuga

Billboards/Signs
« on: 09 Oct 2002, 22:27:33 »
 Well.. I've started to make an add-on pack of billboards and signs, mostly for my Mod, but I'd like to see them used by as many people as possible.

So.. I'd like to get some input from everyone as to what you'd like to see in-game...

right now I'm working on a large, billboard sized sign, as well as a mid and small sized one.   I'm thinking the small one will be close in size to the one's used to designate town names on the BIS islands, and the mid sized something along the lines of what you'd see attached to a store or office building.

Everything is coming along quite nicely, but as I said... in an effort to see as many people as possible using them once I'm finished I need input from the community

I plan on releasing one .pbo file containing around 20-30 signs once I'm finished with them

Thanks in advance, Kaliyuga :toocool: :dude:

DrMeatballs

Re:Billboards/Signs
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2002, 01:46:46 »
Ohoh can you please do a small billbaord(or large hoarding) with Barr's Irn Bru on it? please!!!!! 80s or 90s designs would be cool.
And maybe some BAnd posters for soemone who would perhaps be visiting nogova in 1986(or when ever res happens) Like U2 or Mettalica(hell i don't know if they ever toured at that time but i like them) but perhaps being a backward ex soviet island the citizens are just discovering 70s glam rock or soemthing(or punk or disco?)
Anyway appart from that beer adverts are a must(what was big in the 80s? proper czech bud or some strange english ale thing)
On a final note a big sign from  the local holy joes saying "GOD IS WATCHING YOU" or soemthing would be fun as would a "This town welcomes careful drivers" type sign outside the main town on nogova.

Uziyahu

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2002, 04:00:52 »
Yeah, I asked B.I. for billboards some time ago.

Can you make the printed area of the billboards and signs easily modifiable, like with the squad logo on vehicles or with unit faces?

Could you make a couple of picture frames, too?

And maybe a banner that hangs across a road, from building to building?

« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2002, 04:01:39 by Uziyahu »

ZIKAN

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2002, 19:04:07 »
 ;D LOL you could really have some fun with this idea, i think its great. The islands are so drab and need brightening up a little. Even in Soviet times some of the advertising and propaganda posters were works of art.
I think that would be cool to have a template that you can add your own pics to a sign or picture.

Check out this site which may give you some inspiration for some funny stuff:
http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/5922d576/

Kaliyuga

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2002, 19:49:39 »
OMG .... those signs rock.. ;D    

Thanks alot for that link Zikan... I have a feeling that at least a few of those will make it into my addon pack...

And thanks to everyone that replied so far, keep those ideas rolling in ....

As far as making a template or some such thing for the signs... once It is released, doing a retexture of the signs would be a simple task for whoever wanted to do it.

I just wanted to cover as many bases as possible, so we don't see everyone with their own add-on pack of signs is all... That could end up quite confusing.....
 I'm going to add as many signs as I can while trying to keep the download size under a Meg....

Uziyahu

« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2002, 03:53:38 »
Oh c'mon, please make the surface decoration modifiable with an init script and accompanying graphic file or whatever...

PLEASE!

That's the best way to the make the signs useful for the largest segment of the community.

Kaliyuga

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2002, 04:37:27 »
  Hmm...... tell me how I can do that and I'll look into it.. but I don't know of anyway you could use an init line to change the texture of a P3D object

PunkerSXDX

« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2002, 06:18:05 »
Would it be Possible to set it up so you can Import Custom Sighns via the setflagtexture command?

Kaliyuga

« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2002, 09:05:57 »
  Hmm.. something worth looking into I'm sure,  I'll have to nose around and see what that command is all about... Come to think of it, you can set facial textures through init lines, so this might be something to check out as well.... after all the soldier is a P3D model right ? ;D

About the older style posters, anyone have any links to historical advertisements for the time period that the campaigns are supposed to take place?  That was a great idea Zikan

asmodeus

« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2002, 10:17:43 »
Yeah!!    

We're going to have a few surprises for this addon pack when released.. Or so a little bird whispered in my ear....

Uhhhhh....  

ZIKAN, very good link there man!   ;D  I'm still laughing my a$$ off!   :D

Thanks for the input all!  (I'm somewhat involved in this project..)   ;)

And about the idea for setflagtexture.. I'm sure if it's able to be done.. It'll be done by the talented people on this forum!   ::)  (I know I know, it's cheesy but true!)

I just have one more thing to say:

<college           weed>

??

(my fav from your link ZIKAN)   ;)

ZIKAN

DeLiltMon

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2002, 13:35:27 »
How about some warning signs, like "Achtung! Minen!" for German minefields?

Offline @cero

• Members
  • Yeah! Get some!!
« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2002, 21:07:14 »
Hey Caliyuga, is the cartel of your mod going to be from colombian nationality, cos if so I can design a few quik posters in spanish for you.
Later all.
@CERO
SCREWBY!!!

Kaliyuga

« Reply #13 on: 11 Oct 2002, 21:52:35 »
 Actually our Mod is all going to be in fictional countries with fictional agencies and such ....  

But I'm sure someone will be making missions in South America or some other spanish speaking countries, so if you want to send me a couple  I'll  add them in.  Like I said, I just want to cover as many bases as possible...

With historical posters and signs... I was thinking that maybe I could make a large poster of Lenin or something like that.. Like what I remember seeing when the USSR used to roll out all their weapons for parades or whatever you want to call it.

Or like how you see in movies about cold war china, really large Billboards of Chairman Mao.

I'd like to include at least a few from each time period that people are creating missions from...  

WWI
 WWII
 Korea?  (not sure if I've seen any Korean war missions or mods )
 Vietnam
 Cold War era.

DeLiltMon

« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2002, 13:01:04 »
I havent seen any Korean missions but there's no reason that there won't be, especially since there was a lot of WWII equipment used.
We'd also need the 4077th M.A.S.H. then too  ;D

Offline @cero

• Members
  • Yeah! Get some!!
« Reply #15 on: 13 Oct 2002, 05:35:10 »
Kaliguya, in the last link that Zikan gived you is a lot of WWII posters.
 About the ones in Spanish, I only wayting for some good ideas that can be used bery generaly.
Later.
@CERO.
SCREWBY!!!

Kaliyuga

« Reply #16 on: 13 Oct 2002, 09:46:12 »
 Sounds good to me ....  ;D  

I've got two Soviet posters finished, along with a few others... expect some screenshots sometime tomorrow ;D

Kaliyuga

« Reply #17 on: 15 Oct 2002, 05:37:28 »
Uhh.. yeah... screenshots tomorrow...  ::)

I have three completed, and few more in the works

Kaliyuga

« Reply #18 on: 28 Oct 2002, 23:42:37 »
Hmm.... well.. tomorrow eventually came I guess :P   yesterday ;D  

So.. screen shots of the soon to be completed Billboard Addon pack #1 can be seen at

www.everoncartel.com

for all those who are interested..

I have a couple more I am messing with to add to this first pack, but should be released soon ;D  

ZIKAN

« Reply #19 on: 30 Oct 2002, 17:14:38 »
Those are cool m8  :thumbsup:
But could we see some better secreen shots of them in game?

Kaliyuga

« Reply #20 on: 30 Oct 2002, 21:03:15 »
Those pics actually were in-game... i just shrunk them down so they would all fit on the one page ;)

I can send you some if you want in your e-mail

Kaliyuga

« Reply #21 on: 19 Nov 2002, 20:26:03 »
 Well Billboard pack #1 has been completed and can be found at www.everoncartel.com  on our downloads page...

I have plans for more releases in this series, another pack of large size, as well another couple of sizes....

Waterman has been gracious enough to provide me with another 3D model for a smaller sign.. and I should start work on that sometime in the next couple of weeks...

Please feel free to send any comments or questions regarding this addon to:

kaliyuga@everoncartel.com

Waterman

« Reply #22 on: 19 Nov 2002, 20:42:58 »
Not bad mate! ;)

Downloaded already...
Did I send you the file or just the pic? If not, I send it 2moro. :P

Cheers,
Waterman. 8)