Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: spelin cheker  (Read 3709 times)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:spelin cheker
« Reply #15 on: 08 Jun 2005, 22:20:23 »
On these boards we aren't worthy enough for stars.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #16 on: 08 Jun 2005, 22:30:13 »
Oh I see - you still have them on the other boards - I just checked.  Quite a clever system we have here.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #17 on: 09 Jun 2005, 01:09:57 »
>bedges dons his moderator's cape and swoops down among the lambs

Mikero slitherz under his rok
Just say no to bugz

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #18 on: 09 Jun 2005, 11:32:51 »
Yeah me too, I'm behaving.  :-\
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #19 on: 09 Jun 2005, 13:45:45 »
Hmm ...

I understand (I hope) what's the intention of this topic, so this can be a bit offtopic ...  I know the English language has established itself as a world language, but I still have difficulties to accept how people from the English speaking areas took this for granted.  And also took for granted that we all must know English very well.  I understand, it's hard to look how your language is being "tortured" by others, but you should be awared that in comparision to us, non English speaking people, you are in priviledged position.  So in my eyes it's a bit without a tact complaining about spelling or grammar, because some of the biggest "tortures" of this language I've seen from the English speaking dudes.

My language is VERY different from English, and thru my study it was prooven that I'm not a talent for a foreign languages, so I will here apologise myself for all mistakes I made, or I will make in the future.

PS: THobson, word patron in my language means bullet ;).

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #20 on: 09 Jun 2005, 14:17:09 »

Mikero risks a swipe from the eagle's claws

@Karantan

while I can sympathise with what you say, have you ever once considered our position? Can you imagine how difficult it is for us to learn something other than English?
Just say no to bugz

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #21 on: 09 Jun 2005, 14:22:48 »
No lets be clear - apart from being a little light hearted the intention here was not to push the English language at the expense of others.  My experience on the ofpec site as well as in other aspects of life, is that people for whom English is not their first language are often much better at spelling and grammar than many so called native speakers.

I personally cannot carry out anything but the most basic conversation in anything other than English.  I seriously admire those people that can and when I see messages from people for whom English is clearly not their first language I do make a real effort to understand them, and not to comment on it - other than to point out they are doing better in my language than I could do in theirs.  

Fundamentally I was being lazy.  I personally need a spell checker, and there are some other native English speakers who's need is no less than mine.

bullet heh?

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #22 on: 09 Jun 2005, 15:16:16 »
Yes, I understand your intention, I just "seized the moment" to point out that some so called native speakers are not tolerant about this, and that they not appriciate their "priviledge", and our effort to comunicate in their language.

Yeah, you're an OFPEC Bullet!

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #23 on: 09 Jun 2005, 16:50:43 »
So what language is that - you have put English in your profile, and I would not have guessed differently from your posts?

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #24 on: 09 Jun 2005, 17:00:41 »
To sum it up, we've now established that having a spelling checker integrated with the OFPEC forums is close to an impossible task and more or less futile.

Before we even start discussing about the splender and differences of our each own languages.. let's not.

#locked

[size=0.5]Disclaimer:
This topic is locked because the matter is solved and discussion is starting to get off-topic.[/size]

Not all is lost.