Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Increased Number of Tech Questions  (Read 1715 times)

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Increased Number of Tech Questions
« on: 31 May 2005, 06:57:24 »
Is it just me or has the number of tech questions gone up a lot? I really think this is a problem since it's breaking the rules and in this board we got a high number of locked threads. But what to do about it?

Not to sound unfriendly or so, but don't help people with tech questions! I've seen everything from members, staffers, mods and admins helping people with tech questions before they lock the thread. I think this is wrong since it sorta "encourange" people to ask more tech threads. Like "Hey, that guy got help before the thread was locked, maybe I should try that too".

Don't get me wrong, I think it's terrible if someone's Flashpoint won't run. But seriously, just press the report to moderator button and lock the thread with a simple link to the Flashpoint '85 forums.

My two cents. :)

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
Re:Increased Number of Tech Questions
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2005, 07:20:48 »
Nah... don't know about that mate.

I encourage my moderators to be helpful... simply because it adds to the 'friendly' atmoshpere about the place. However patrons (and also non-moderator staff) should do exactly what you suggest. While I'm happy to promote pointing the poster in the right direction to get their problem solved (ie. the official forums/Avons FAQ), I'm not keen to get tech 'discussion' happening around here.

I understand where you're coming from. The thread is locked to prevent further discussion (because as you say, we're not a tech support site), but a helpful nudge in the right direction is definitely in order.

Thanks for the suggestion Armsty ;)

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2005, 14:59:37 »
Either I misunderstood you or your misunderstood me. What I meant was everyone should post just a link to Flashpoint '85 forums instead of giving a complete answer and then lock the thread.

But I do agree on the friendly atmosphere. You guys should have creds for that. There's no other forum I've ever been active on that people are this friendly. Far from it. Even though I'm not as active as I used to be (I would've reached Macca's 6000 posts much faster than him otherwise ;D ) I still have OFPEC Forums as my startpage like I've had the last three and a half years. And I'm going to keep it as long as someone is paying the domain name. ;)

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2005, 15:07:32 »
There's nothing friendly about me Armsty when I'm reviewing Beta missions. >:(
Just say no to bugz

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2005, 15:16:23 »
 ;D

The secret here is quick reporting of such posts.   The sooner we know about them the sooner they can be locked.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2005, 16:02:43 »
Mikero: With a few exceptions of course. :P

el Nicorse

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2005, 23:30:35 »
Is it just me or has the number of tech questions gone up a lot?
All latest nvidia drivers make OFP freeze or crash VERY often. I was unable to play more than 10 minutes without ctd before I find the solution on the official boards. I had to reinstall a driver from 6 months ago to be able to play OFP  >:(

So every OFP-player with nvidia graphic card and recent drivers is very likely to get into big troubles for the moment...

Bluelikeu

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2005, 15:07:42 »
I suggest that everyone buy the latest ATI cards, they are very compatible with most games.

btw, this sounds like an answer to a tech question.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #8 on: 04 Jul 2005, 14:21:19 »
Just dont update drivers because they've been released, only update if you have a problem :hmm:
I have a nVidia Geforce FX5600 and have no problems at all (Updated drivers recently to get GTA San Andreas to work without missing half the polygons.. Useing the BF2 demo drivers :-X :P )

Anyway, I dont totaly agree with telling them to go to another forum and locking it, but oh well
- Ben