Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Please) Three Kings v1.06  (Read 12333 times)

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
Re:Three kings
« Reply #15 on: 02 Jun 2005, 01:39:42 »
>if they just stood there let's say half an hour

umm, no, i dont in this case, although I do agree with you in principle.

This game of yours is immersive, you've built a lot of theme into the interactive cutscenes, what I call a sui-style, and it's a natural for me to go exploring. You're in a rock and a hard place because you've put all the little and most important details in, like tents and blah, and yet can't, as it stands, allow the player to go sniffing about looking at all the clever positioning <grin>

Overall, what I think doesn't matter because the whole snapshot is properly done, it flows, it's 'obvious', it 'makes sense'. You do however have the engine bug of blue on blue, those ai WILL attack each other when it suits them, BEFORE you let them. I do not know how you fix this other than make the attack happen as rapidly as possible to defeat the chances of the bug occuring.

Just one more time:

I was savage in my review of La Passagne, and Goisse, because of the poor ai. This exagerated all other comment by me and you can dilute my opinions because of it.

Just say no to bugz

Offline Jezuro

• Members
  • Hookah 4 lyfe!
    • Jezuro's ArmA Workshop
« Reply #16 on: 02 Jun 2005, 18:40:08 »
I was savage in my review of La Passagne, and Goisse, because of the poor ai. This exagerated all other comment by me and you can dilute my opinions because of it.

Ah, gotcha !!! MUAHAHAHA !!! The mighty Mikero is humbled, humbled by me, the great Jezuro! Come on, man, accept your defeat and say loud "Jezuro's better than me..."!

Just awkwardly kidding, of course. I appreciate your help and remarks to the mission, I just don't want you to become too 'nice'  :)
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2005, 18:42:34 by Jezuro »
"We are Her salvation, and through Her command we shall live forever. I will not die. Not here. Not now. Never!!!"

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: 03 Jun 2005, 13:04:14 »
okay i think i shall have a test on this.
i think ive got the right version anyway also please post the .pbo in .zip format

Okay i open up flashpoint go to select the mission and it says
data error read file overview.html
ill have a nother go

and again the same problem

Offline Jezuro

• Members
  • Hookah 4 lyfe!
    • Jezuro's ArmA Workshop
« Reply #18 on: 03 Jun 2005, 16:03:01 »
okay i think i shall have a test on this.
i think ive got the right version anyway also please post the .pbo in .zip format

Okay i open up flashpoint go to select the mission and it says
data error read file overview.html
ill have a nother go

and again the same problem

??? Strange... Haven't met that problem yet.
"We are Her salvation, and through Her command we shall live forever. I will not die. Not here. Not now. Never!!!"

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: 03 Jun 2005, 17:54:29 »
ill reinstall all the addons and have another go some time

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #20 on: 04 Jun 2005, 10:41:18 »
@456
>data error read file overview.html

just use unpbo, or winpbo or even my own addonscanner2 to check the pbo isn't corrupt
Just say no to bugz

Offline Peter_Bullet

• Members
  • "The evil that men do lives on and on"
« Reply #21 on: 04 Jun 2005, 13:05:25 »
The Pbo has some problems. Won't unpack with UNPBO, it just crashes. And it complains about That "Data read error overview.html"

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #22 on: 04 Jun 2005, 16:49:12 »
Hmm, that's odd. I had no trouble with the so called tk_103_eng pbo at top of first post

Perhaps Jezuro has been naughty and updated it silently, thinking it would be 'ok'

correct file size is 16,717,965

crc32 is BE65077D

Ordinarily I'd post it to the beta site but 17meg is a big ask for a temporary file that will have alterations.

@Jezuro

check your pbo and zip it then repost the top topic. Zipped, it comes in at 13meg

@all.

this mission is worth the pain folks, hang in there.

Just say no to bugz

Offline Jezuro

• Members
  • Hookah 4 lyfe!
    • Jezuro's ArmA Workshop
« Reply #23 on: 20 Jul 2005, 19:40:11 »
Version 1.04 ENG (14.7 megs):

http://andrew.nf/ofp/missions/

<OFPEC beta hosting site, many thanks to Mikero!>

First post updated as well. Sorry for forcing you to download the whole mission again; I've made some changes that I don't want to pack into patches. Well, at least it finally goes zipped ;)

PS: There's also a little surprise hidden somewhere on the map - since this is the betatesting board and in the name of good betatest, I'll tell you where it is. For those who don't wanna know it, I'll better write it a bit less visible. Others can simply highlight it. There it is:

It's a table with a mysterious drug called Psycho, hidden in one of the three houses in "Jane" camp.
« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2005, 19:57:45 by Jezuro »

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid
« Reply #24 on: 20 Jul 2005, 20:13:47 »
Version 1.04 ENG. First post updated as well. Sorry for forcing you to download the whole mission again; I've made some changes that I don't want to pack into patches. Well, at least it finally goes zipped ;)

Hey m8, that's excaclty what this board is for! ;)
Get those missions out there you morons!

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #25 on: 23 Jul 2005, 15:04:05 »
Would have preffered the zip at least, if not the pbo to have a version number.

Intro

Backed by the music, this intro remains one of my favorites. A best. black out goes on too long

if it remains this length, I would put occaisional flashes of battlescene in.

opening dead soldier is startling, very Doom ][ . Opening comment about Houdan is not good.

You needed a camera shot to the Houdan town sign, or title text. Only you know it's Houdan.

Mission:

perfect use of opening credits, with perfect retry point, perfect, no nonsense eject from boat and goodbye.

THE Member of = A member of

The font used is too garish (loud) for me, but many others will like it. It is too original to get rid of.

Much better position of 'contact'.

of course I immediately got shot by 2 soldiers as I ran down road <sigh>

next go, took everyone out silently and got shot by officer hiding behind uaz <sigh>

got keys, off I go. Just as a finishing touch, would have preferred either an action to unlock vehicle, or an animation and sound of keys rattling as the unlockthe thing.

nice transition to next point. Very nice interraction on that cutscene, great use of vehicle moving into bushes to stop.

Used my retry save at this point. Again, a great way of giving player the option instead of forcing a retry. Well thought out.

got shot by patrol which were a LONG way from my start point.<sigh>

BUG

used retry and got

ponaca= (list selnica) + (list selnica1)  ......

very long error text, could not see what it said at end (too long)

went back to a savegame, got cutscene again.

saved a retry and did a cheatsave

BUG
this time retry was OK, but cheatsave brought above error.

started from retry

did not see any soldiers until campfire. I was expected a 4 man patrol near or around where the uaz stopped. There were a total of 5 soldiers, I was expecting 4 and am confused.

i should have been able to use 2nd uaz

rest went ok up to prisoner camp. Not really impressed with the very strong language, it's not necessary.

Could not and cannot get out of that damn truck alive. I am immediately shot each time every time.

this section remains buggy as before, and in this case is worse than before. (i unloaded my rifle, but took back my nvg and binoculars)

stopping here because of the above scripting bug, and the futile attempts on my part for getting out of truck. I suspect that if I started again from an earlier savegame I _could_ get out of truck, and the fight would start a bit later, but, start it would. This has to be fixed, it is far to buggy and random.  The player must be able to get into the walls of the prison camp each time every time. You haven't done enough here to fix this or warrant further testing. It was the only major flaw of the first version and hasn't been corrected.
Just say no to bugz

Offline Jezuro

• Members
  • Hookah 4 lyfe!
    • Jezuro's ArmA Workshop
« Reply #26 on: 23 Jul 2005, 17:25:28 »
@ Intro :
Strange changing of your mind (I'm reffering to your first review)  :)

@ Stealing UAZ :
The position of the contact hasn't changed at all  ;). Unlocking UAZ - good idea, thanks!

@ Undercover ride :
Yeah, there's basically a 4-men patrol. But there's also their commander who is just pissing around in the camp (tent + radio + campfire + UAZ) and "guarding" their car. One member of the patrol is momentally with him - why, that's a question with an unspoken answer...
I know about that long error output - it happens after loading game that was saved during the ride - and don't know how to get rid of it :( I will try again, though.

@ Graveyard action :
The point is that you must NOT have ANY equipment excluding your handgun. That's why you heard that strong language by the oficer there. He normally says just "Get in the tent, American." but if he sees you having your equipment (binoculars hanging on your neck, NV goggs on your head, machinegun in your hand, ...) he gets very very angry. We Slavs are generally quite a vulgar folk when we're forced to, including Russians :)
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2005, 17:27:37 by Jezuro »

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #27 on: 28 Jul 2005, 15:04:19 »
i cant find a link that works the one on the first page gets some sort of error half way thorugh download the others say file not found

Offline Jezuro

• Members
  • Hookah 4 lyfe!
    • Jezuro's ArmA Workshop
« Reply #28 on: 28 Jul 2005, 18:57:33 »
i cant find a link that works the one on the first page gets some sort of error half way thorugh download the others say file not found

:-\ That's odd. Both links for version 1.04 work well for me and it seems that for Mikero too (?)
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2005, 18:59:05 by Jezuro »

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #29 on: 28 Jul 2005, 19:39:39 »
v 1.04 ayyy i could only find 1.03 where can i find 1.04oh wait never mind turns out the link was 1.04 but still wont work says error header something continue so i click yes and the files not shown so i cant extract it
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2005, 19:40:59 by 456820 »