Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: XM109 25mm Airbursting Ammo!  (Read 2185 times)

Grendel

XM109 25mm Airbursting Ammo!
« on: 16 May 2005, 19:49:57 »
Well hello again everyone (to those who may remember me lol)

After a looooong time away, I have come back into the fold...and I come bearing gifts.

My PC crapped the bed and ruined about four months of work, and only recently have I picked up the pieces to start again.

One of the things I was waiting on before the crash, was for someone to do a XM109 25mm Payload rifle addon, so I could impliment some realistic Hard Target Interdiction. 5133p39 and Ville-Valo have done one!

His model is excellent, and I have tweaked it with some scripts that allow you to use a BAS SOFLAM or my own "targeting" HUD system to fuze the ammo for the range you want it to burst at (it  actually uses a lot of the scripting from my SimFlak AI script.  The script and mission are very BETA right now with more tweaks to come, but perhaps you can offer some input (particularly regarding the ERV system).

The SOFLAM works pretty easily (although somewhat bothersome to switch weapons)...whip it (the SOFLAM) out, lase the target, use the action menu to get the range, switch to the XM109 and shoot.

The ERV models what I think the Barrett Optical Ranging Sight (BORS) gen III might do (they are on gen I right now).  You can add targets to a list the ERV keeps in memory simply by placing the crosshair of the rifle on the target and left clicking (like you do to ID targets to your AI squad), and refreshing the ERV with the action menu.  Once you have a target or targets, you can cyle and lock onto them with the action menu, and the range will be entered into the 25mm's fuze.

It has some quirks that I will iron out, but it is funcitonal right now to at least 1000m (although you have to lase slightly in front of targets under 250m).

The test/development mission is VERY basic and you need BAS rangers/delta 1.55, JAM2, and of course, the XM109 made by 5133p39 and Ville-Valo; it can be found here:

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=8251

edit-an additional ahem...non CZ mirror (saw somewhere that some no-likey the site)

http://www.atwar.net/download.php?list.9

Oh, and by the way...expect some suprises soon ;)

-Grendel

edit-BTW, the script will work with pretty much any weapon (although the constants will have to be tweaked slightly for each ammo's specific velocity.  So it can be made to work with things like OCIWs FN2000's etc.

« Last Edit: 16 May 2005, 23:46:03 by Grendel »

Dane

Re:XM109 25mm Airbursting Ammo!
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2005, 22:40:09 »
OMG :o :o :P

This is freakin awesome!
I've needed this since the first OICV addon released a long time ago by makers of the HK pack.
Finally we have airburst munitions!
Thank you very much.

Oh, and i found no bugs while testing this.

Btw. This is great for taking out Blanco's intrenched ruskies.

Grendel

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2005, 22:56:24 »
Thanks for the kind words Dane!

I will definitely work out the constants for the OCIW and FN2000 (automatically called by the hasWeapon command so no user tweaking needed).

I am trying to think of ways to make the ERV a little more...better.  Better HUD effects, smoother more intuitive menu etc.

I might even scrap the camcreated M433's and script some actual fragmentation (using camcreated bullet type ammo with a beefed up indirect hit range to save cpu cycles-i've done something like this to tweak CoC claymores for my aging 1.3 ghz).  

I'm glad someone checked it out with no problems so far...mayhap that will encourage further testing!

-Grendel
« Last Edit: 16 May 2005, 23:08:22 by Grendel »

Dane

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2005, 23:19:03 »
That sounds great! I'll defenantly keep my eye on this baby.
Right now i'm searching the net for Inquisitor's great looking OICV, i had it but
without this feature it was somewhat useless.

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2005, 02:18:49 »
Wow, this sounds great! Although, I don't know what an ERV system is...  ??? I'll definately have to check this one out later, should be tons of fun!

BTW, its great to see you back, Grendel. I've always loved your scripts, and I look forward to seeing what else you've got up your sleeve. :)
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Grendel

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2005, 03:14:46 »
Thanks for the re-welcome General Barron!

ERV system
"Enhanced Reality Visor" basically a HUD

ERV sounded sort of lame though, so I might be changing it to something else though...

I look forward to seeing what else you've got up your sleeve.

Ooohhhhh just you wait!!!

;)

-Grendel

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2005, 02:55:49 »
Alright, pretty darn cool script. I love the little green boxes that appear around your target. Pretty creative effect there ;). Is that the ERV? Is that based off any real life equipment, or is it made up?

I have to admit, I'm not entirely sure how to get it all to work, though.  A readme would be nice. So, it seems that you can either select a target via the ERV, or else point a laser at the ground to target it? Then the ammo will burst when it is above that point? But what if you don't shoot at the target?

Okay, that aside, I did find some issues. First off, there is some info that appears at the start of the mission, which is prolly just debugging stuff.

Also near mission start, I notice a red dot appears above the heads of the enemies. After it fades away, I never see it again. Not sure what its purpose is, unless it is also debugging...

About the green dots that appear above the known enemies heads... when the enemies run around, the dots stay where they first appeared. It works as long as everyone stays perfectly still, but when the AI starts running for cover, the dots are kinda worthless. Perhaps have the dots 'flicker' above the unit's heads, like the targetting box does (since the target box doesn't have this problem).

That's all I've found so far. Again, a readme explaining how to use everything would be nice.

Great work, I'll be looking forward to the next version. :)
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Grendel

« Reply #7 on: 01 Jun 2005, 05:43:34 »
Thanks General Barron!

Yeah the debugging (red/green dots) stuff is still very prevalent in this beta, sorry.

The 'ERV' is tech that is 'in the works' in both military and civilian applications but is still very primitive.  Basicly I just used that research as a reality base to justify the alternative targeting method ;)

I am probably goint to overhaul all the ERV effects.  I'm thinking of a green box to indicate known enemy and a "superimposed" red diamond for target lock...all will 'flicker' to update positions.

ReadMe will be included as well as a thourough tute mission...

-Grendel