Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Anyone know good places to get tutorials?  (Read 1519 times)

Deathstirke

Anyone know good places to get tutorials?
« on: 12 May 2005, 06:01:37 »
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else, but I was wondering does anyone have some links to find tutorials on things like basic things, scripting, waypoints, triggers, and ect.

Deathstrike

pazuzu

Deathstirke

Re:Anyone know good places to get tutorials?
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2005, 07:14:21 »
Thanks Pazuzu!

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2005, 09:03:27 »
pazuzu's link will take you to a cornucopia of tuturials.   To help prevent confusion, they are organised into sections.   The one you want is Getting Started where you will find all the basic stuff you need.    Start with my own macgub's guide to mission editing for beginners and snYpir's OFPEC Guide: Making Missions.  
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2005, 09:33:45 »
Sort of on this subject, has the suggestion been made before of maybe having a section on the site (or even just a bunch of stickies on the forum) answering all those basic scripting questions that get asked time and time again? E.g:

How do I make a unit move?
How do I order a unit to get in a vehicle?
How do I instantly move a unit into a vehicle/start him off in one?
How do I make a unit fire his gun?
How do I make a unit target/fire on anything?
How do I eject units from a vehicle
How do I set a unit's position? How do I get his position?
How can I create a missile/ammo?
How do I create a unit?
How do I heal or damage a unit?
How can I set an object's velocity?
How can I get units to respawn in multiplayer?
How can I get a unit to say my speech?
How can I play a sound effect?

If you look at the list, you see that most of the questions have direct associations to the command reference. This section of OFPEC (page or whatever) could complement the command reference, plus there are always questions that the comref doen't have answers to (respawning, sounds etc).

The comref works like a portugese - english dictionary. You look up the command (the portugese), find what it does (the english translation). OK, the analogy is questionable, but hey :P.

What your average english speaker wants, is to find out an english word is in portugese. At the moment, they'd either have to check the comref to find how to do what they want, which is a hit-and-miss process, unless the person is patient. This is because they'd have to stumble on the right command by luck (and some of the commands aren't that intuitive at all). Either that or, far more likely, they go ahead and post on the forums. Fair enough too; keep in mind that the comref also assumes some prior knowledge and is not that friendly to the complete padawan.

This is where the proposed page comes in. It acts as the english-portugese dictionary. You have a quick check down the page, find the nearest thing to what you're after, and click the relevant link to the comref. This is your portugese word. You then come back and find out what all this business is about 'return types', 'arrays', 'groups/objects' and so on if you need to. At this point, you could also link to the relevant tutortials if need be.

In answer to my own question, the suggestion has probably been made; ofpec's been around for a long time. But it seems a sensible thing to do, at any rate.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2005, 09:44:57 »
This has indeed been discussed before.  ;D   When I wrote the sticky that now adorns the top of this board there was a great deal of discussion about it.    We discovered, very rapidly, that the number of basic noob questions is vast and a list of them, even if you could compile a comprehensive one, would not actually be very helpful.

Moreover, the answers to most of them are already in the FAQ.   Also known as the KnowledgeBase or KB, this is basically the "section of the site" you are talking about.    It is a very handy part of the Ed Depot and does not always get the attention it deserves.   It has over 300 entries and covers a lot of these small questions.      You can browse though the items or use the search function.   It's really very handy and you should always try it before posting a question in the forum.

You can find it in the Editors Depot, left hand menu column under Online References.

OFP editing is a vast subject and "stores" of editing information are always kept in the Editors Depot and not the forums.   This is a fundamental aspect of the design of the whole site.

Good idea though, and a good analogy.   :thumbsup:   And thank you for taking the time and trouble to post it.   The comref (and the whole ED) do suffer from the classic dictionary problem:  if you don't knowthe word you want to find, how do you look it up?    Well that's why the whole ED is searchable, to give you a better chance.   The forum stands as backup.

« Last Edit: 12 May 2005, 09:48:32 by macguba »

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2005, 10:06:37 »
Wow, that's a whole new section of the site for me! ;D

So, you find the knowledge base under 'editors depot << online references << Browse KB'
I use the 'online references' tab all the time, but somehow I never investigated what 'KB' was :P That is what I was talking about, of course ::)

It's quite obscure, I would say; at least there's no mention of it that I can see on the main editor's page. There is, of course, a link to the FAQ. I'd say that a direct link to the page (the "How do I...?" page) and a bit more advertising would get a whole bunch more people visiting it.

This has indeed been discussed before.  ;D   When I wrote the sticky that now adorns the top of this board there was a great deal of discussion about it.    We discovered, very rapidly, that the number of basic noob questions is vast and a list of them, even if you could compile a comprehensive one, would not actually be very helpful.
lol, that's at least one for every command, plus all the ones not answered by the comref. True enough, that could quickly get out of hand, and become more hit and miss than searching the comref :P

woops, this is becoming an 'ofpec comments' post, really.

pazuzu

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2005, 21:36:21 »
Err, with the greatest respect to our friends at Opflashpoint.org, who do much good work for the community, their collection of 7 no doubt excellent tutes is not really comparable with the 204 in the Editors Depot.

@Fragorl, you're right, the FAQ no longer gets the attention it deserves.    The sticky at the top of this board does mention, with links which work - I just checked.  ;D   The FAQ used to be more closely associated with the forum than it is now:  perhaps we should all start talking about it more.

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2005, 22:14:25 »
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else, but I was wondering does anyone have some links to find tutorials on things like basic things, scripting, waypoints, triggers, and ect.

Deathstrike

???

Try this site:

www.ofpec.com

::)

Sorry, I just had to. :P
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

pazuzu

« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2005, 06:36:02 »
I didn't mean to downplay what this site has to offer, I just thought Opflashpoint.org had some pretty good tuts too.

I will only mention this site from now on...  :-*

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2005, 07:47:40 »
lol  ;D