Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Robino's virtual bergen  (Read 1497 times)

ROBINO

Robino's virtual bergen
« on: 08 May 2005, 20:21:49 »
Here is my fairly basic script and demo mission for my virtual bergen.

You can open a menu and grab a LAW and some SA80 rounds from your bag.

You need UKF Trooppack for this demo.

The problem I have encountered is that for group leaders, the "fix bayonets" command tends to get in the way.  Anyone know if there's a way around this ?  Can "fix bayonets" be disabled ?

Offline Blip

• Members
  • ...Old OFP FART...
Re:Robino's virtual bergen
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2005, 04:18:09 »
:cheers:

Wokrs like a charm.  It easy to modify too for different units.

Good work,

Blip :joystick:
...NIGHT WALKER....

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2005, 09:39:04 »
Link for the addon?  ;)

Also, it appears to require JAM as well.   Is that correct?

In what way does "fix bayonets" get in the way?

I can't test it since you haven't given us the addon information, but here are my thoughts based on a quick glance at the scripts.

The script does not appear to check that you have slots available for the things you are about to take.    

For the LAW, it gives you the launcher and just one missile.     What happens if you want more than one missile?  What happens if you already have a launcher?     Add the magazine to the player first, then the launcher, so that the launcher is loaded.

For the SA80 it does not give you a weapon.   This is different from the arrangement with the LAW and will cause confusion in the heat of battle.  Make the Action text clearer so that you know what the script is going to try to give you.  It also doesn't check to see if you have an SA80 in the first place.

Consider using a hint rather than a titletext to say what you've taken.   Titletexts are slow to come up, difficult to read if the background is wrong and obscure the view.     Also, what is happening is the mission designer talking to the player:  that is what hints are for.  Titletexts are more for things that are happening in the mission, such as dialogue in cutscenes.  

The script offers the chance to take items even if there are none left.   It should check first and either not offer the Action, or offer a different Action saying none left.   Or perhaps have a hint saying what is not available.

Call it a handgrenade, not a grenade, since that is what it is.  Will cause confusion if [rifle] grenades are added later.

Consider adding a first aid kit and/or the GPS to the bergen.    Also a packet of Rolos......    titletext "mmm, that's better"; player setDammage (getDammage player - 0.1).   (titletext not hint, because it's the player talking to himself.)

Consider using it not for laws and regular mags, but things like mines and satchels - the kind of thing you actually carry in your bergen.   SA80 mags are usually much easier to reach than that.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2005, 09:51:53 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

ROBINO

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2005, 19:24:29 »
Good points macguba you're totally right as always.

It requires the UKF DPM Trooppack from here:

ftp://www.gamezone.cz:8021/ofpd/unofaddons2/ukf_dpmtrppk1_1.rar

... and JAM2 from here:

ftp://www.gamezone.cz:8021/ofpd/unofaddons2/OFPR_Addon_BAS_JAM2.zip

Now all u peeps can give it a try.

When I said the script was basic I wasn't lying - I have since made some modifications which I may release in a scripting pack for all those interested in getting more from their fine UKF addon.

The exact problem with the "fix bayonets" command is that the addons calls a script when the player becomes squad leader to add a command to the action bar - since my script is dependant on the action id's being uninterrupted it means using the script only on players with no group members.

GPS, Medikit and packet of durex coming soon ... in a bergen near you !