Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: benchmark poll...  (Read 1453 times)

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
benchmark poll...
« on: 20 Apr 2005, 08:09:50 »
has there been one? if so, where is it, and if not, could we maybe do one?

it would give an idea of the speed of machines we're all designing for, enabling us to get an average benchmark number above which editors can start using the benchmark command.

just a thought ;)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:benchmark poll...
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2005, 10:03:20 »
Yes, I did one a while ago.    If you dig very hard through the forums you'll find it.     Can't now remember what the answer was though.

Benchmark is a very curious thing.    Upgrading your CPU and motherboard can give you a lower benchmark.    Clicking the autodetect button repeatedly cycles you through several different values.

To give us a context, I played Resistance with a benchmark of about 750.   That was the absolute limit:  on occasion I had to pause, increase viewdistance to have a look around, then reduce it again before moving on.    I felt like a submarine captain.

My next benchmark was 5660.    Then, with an alledgedly slightly better setup, it went down to 3000.

Un-Impossible Mission, which is pretty heavy, is just playable and no more at 1500.    

IIRC (and I may not) we sort of established that about 2500 was a good level for benchmark-dependant eyecandy.

I would think that that a top of the range setup now would be about 7000.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2005, 15:33:03 »
7389 here.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2005, 18:44:48 »
well aren't you special...  :P

7389 eh... jings, that must be a pretty fast machine. jealous? me? oh no no no...

any directions to the thread would be appreciated gubes, as i've done a search, and short of going through all posts by 'macguba' containing the letter 'a', i haven't come up with the thread in question.

it's a moot point really, 2500 sounds about right. i just wondered what the mean average was. i've noted quite a few folk still on the old modems too, which i was too up until about a month ago. just think of all the addons open to me now....  :o

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2005, 19:00:45 »
Well, AFAIK, benchmark only meassures your processor. I got P4 3GHZ with HT so I guess that's kinda fast. My graphics card and RAM are more avarge. Too bad there's no RAMmark, 'cause that's what you actually want to meassure most times. :P

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Darren Fletcher

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2005, 16:54:10 »
yer thats a good speed i get [ul]6851[/ul] and thats with a 3.2gig amd chip with 1 gig ram DDR3200 400mhz fsb and an ATI readon 9800 pro 128mb card

the hard disk is raid running 400gig as well with the way addons are going im going to need it LOL

Darren Fletcher
 ;D