Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Unusual AI behaviour?  (Read 2617 times)

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
Re:Unusual AI behaviour?
« Reply #15 on: 08 Apr 2005, 17:26:32 »
I think TonyRanger has written those scripts so maybe he should be tormented with PMs, emails etc... ;D

But then again, OFP scripting gets sometimes so close of being Black Magic that it's scary... :P ::)
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

GI-YO

« Reply #16 on: 08 Apr 2005, 19:38:55 »
slight change of question but still the same basics

Why when I set a sqaud of 5 loons on a hold, combat, line, open fire WP two or three of the loons run forwards fifty meters and not stay put, as I told them to do. Is this another example of AI doing it's own thing or a mistake by myself (a high probability ;D). Thanks in advance.

GI-YO

bdfy1

« Reply #17 on: 12 Apr 2005, 20:18:26 »
I'm really interesting about OFP AI improvement. I searched famous ofp fan-sites, but didn't find a lot. Just some scripts that help AI units get in machine guns and pick up weapons  or config boosts...
You can find it in editors department. I also recommend
"The AdvanceD Artificial Intellect Alpha"
http://www.ofpedit.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4

You said that VME units are very smart, their behavior differs from standart one, right ?
I guess you are speaking about this mod
http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=7851
Unfortunatly , this mod is too big for me to download ( I live in Belorussia and internet is quite expensive :(
 Can you unpbo it or some  and tell me what's the  point ? Or may be some of your guys will be so kind to  detruncate it ( I don't intersted about most models and textures ) and upload it to some ftp (I'll give you ftp password if you don't have one )?

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #18 on: 12 Apr 2005, 23:18:09 »
Well me too - I am not really interested in the models/textures as much as the AI.

It will take some to sit down and analyse the configs and the rest of the scripts (had a glance at some of them, but couldn't really find anything as you will have read). Time I am pressed for at the moment, but I've got a mid semester break coming up and I will be able to devote some hours to flashpoint and VME then. :)

bdfy1

« Reply #19 on: 13 Apr 2005, 00:31:29 »
Fragorl
Thus may be you'll do me a favor? Without model and textures it shiuld become very small... please e-mail me ( bdfy1985@yandex.ru ) - I'll give you ftp password.

bdfy1

« Reply #20 on: 13 Apr 2005, 00:41:40 »
I've just found several AI scripts on this server . Check it out.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #21 on: 13 Apr 2005, 09:47:44 »
Quite...
Group Link II is supposed to be very good...

I have never tested it though...
No time to ass about in the mission editor :(
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #22 on: 16 Apr 2005, 08:34:43 »
bdfy1

I do not mind at all emailing the stuff you want, but I'll have to do a bit of messing about with the configs, not too much hopefully. There are quite a few different pbo files with this addon, so I'l have to do a little bit of sorting to locate the relevant ones. This might take a little time, but perhaps in the next little while/week or so, maybe sooner, I'll have it.

bdfy1

« Reply #23 on: 16 Apr 2005, 15:58:13 »
Fragorl
I guess just deleting all *.p3d, *.pac,*.paa, *.jpeg files from all mod's pbos will be enough ;)
Just decompress all pbo's and then run bat-file like that

DEL /f /s *.p3d, *.pac,*.paa *.jpeg *.ogg *.lip *.mp3
( look through file extensions in mod, because I can't know what it contains
I can even write a small exe to do all the mess - it's a piece of cake;)  
It also would be nice to make checksum (*.md5 or so ) for mod - just to know ewhat it contains.

« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2005, 15:58:45 by bdfy1 »

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #24 on: 17 Apr 2005, 07:06:44 »
Ok- if you don't mind having some non-functional pbo's to begin with, I can do this. But you will (obviously) need to go through the configs and remove/edit all the sound/texture/model references that are there, once i've sent it. That's fine with me; it saves me some work ;)

EDIT: in the mail ;)
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2005, 07:36:20 by Fragorl »

bdfy1

« Reply #25 on: 17 Apr 2005, 13:40:00 »
Great! I just start exploring this mod but already found some really cool stuff...
Check your mail I have some questions...

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #26 on: 19 Apr 2005, 04:26:20 »
Well, since this is becoming a more general AI discussion thread...

I did a few trials to see how well the pathfinding algorithms of the AI did.

The results were quite interesting. Allowing for the ai's inability to negotiate small gaps between buildings, I made a small maze of buildings to see just where he could reach and where not.

In each instance, I restarted the trial with AI at the centr, and issued a move order.

There was a cutoff point that seemed to extend to the left at right angles (that I marked with a black line) to the direction the AI was facing; as you can see he could find his way out of the relatively complex maze to his left, but had an inablility to travel a few metres more further back, to a point which was quite easily accessible from the first point.

On the right, the point at which the AI got confused was further up relative to the left hand side one. The maze jutted out a bit more here than in the left, and this seemed to cause problems for the AI.

Also, note the way the path that the AI took was not the shortest distance, but had a tendency to hug the sides of the buildings. In the few pathfinding algorithms that I've written (not for ofp), the paths that I end up with look similar to this, with similar limitations. The cutoffs are also similar; any path that requires 'backtracking' (well, not backtracking but travelling in the reverse direction to any other direction in the path, provided that the end is not in reach) is unable to be found.

Id like to know exactly what the process that flashpoint AI uses to achieve this; keeping in mind BIS has one up on games that require a pre-set bunch of co-ordinates for their AI to follow- this process is dynamic, ie I could re-arrange the 'maze' in any order I liked and the AI would perform equally well.  

Sorry for the rambling post, just thought I'd introduce another aspect of the AI for discussion ;)

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
« Reply #27 on: 23 Apr 2005, 23:04:08 »
Just had a great experience...

I put a full squad of middle east rebels against a desert squad of Hyk US soldiers on the wonderful Cat Afganistan island. (in one the towns). No fancy scripting, just 1 search & destroy waypoint for each group.
When the fight starts my team was on the winning hand and the rebels had to flee. I chased them and I found one guy on top of a roof! Not that existing but to get on that roof you need to climb a ladder.  :o
I can't remember an officer gave me an order to climb a ladder?

Search or search or search before you ask.

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #28 on: 29 Apr 2005, 06:51:01 »
He didn't start out on the roof? If not, that is unusual...

Was he shooting at you from his spot, or did he look a little disoriented, a la "why'd the sarge tell me to climb up here again?" Bang!

I can honestly say I've never seen an AI climbing a ladder. But, I've never tried the 'climb ladder action' either, would you believe. I will try it now .

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
« Reply #29 on: 29 Apr 2005, 18:00:01 »
No, he didn't start on the roof, the starting point was more then 200-300m away from that roof
He killed me from that roof, I swear the bastard was wiating for me ,he knew exactly what he was doing.
When you place a search & destroy waypoint on top of a buiilding, the unit will enter the building and search almost every room and floor. (maybe climbing ladders too?)
But I did'nt place the waypoint on top of something.

« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2005, 18:05:10 by Blanco »
Search or search or search before you ask.