Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Rolled up Map Model Request  (Read 3300 times)

Offline KeyCat

• Members
Re:Rolled up Map Model Request
« Reply #15 on: 14 Apr 2005, 16:48:30 »
I'll see what I can do.  I need to find a way that won't be too stressful on the client PCs.

A slow loop (3-4 sec) on the clients that checked if they where close to the guy with the map would probably be OK and that would add that you had to find cover and stop to check the map together, as in RL ;-)

BTW: Using a weaponholder worked great for putting the map on a table. Thanks for the tip guys, never used it before!

Keep us posted!

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2005, 16:50:54 by KeyCat »
- The journey is the reward!

Strango

« Reply #16 on: 14 Apr 2005, 19:18:27 »
Well the stressful part will be maintaining an array that contains every person that has a map in their inventory.  Then having every person who doesn't have a map to distance check themselves to the everyone in that array all the time.

Offline KeyCat

• Members
« Reply #17 on: 14 Apr 2005, 20:36:51 »
Hi Strango ,

I think it would suffice to do the check every 2-3 seconds or so. IMO no need to check it faster, for me it's no big deal if there is a slight delay before you can access the map if you don't have it.

Took a peek to you code and it seem you are running pretty tight loops on the checks as is, again IMO not really needed.

Anyway looking forward to test if you comes up with something that works in MP.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2005, 20:37:10 by KeyCat »

Strango

« Reply #18 on: 15 Apr 2005, 01:27:56 »
This does work in multiplayer.  I've tested it on a dedicated server and it worked fine.  For those of you who play FCM missions I've been working on a new edition of Pilot Down and this is one of the new features.

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
« Reply #19 on: 15 Apr 2005, 03:37:27 »
Can't you make use of an OFP bug?

Give the unit with the map an addaction. When you are standing close to the unit, you are able to click the action and see the map.
You don't even need a loop, just an action.

Is it posible to remove the weapon action for the map and replace it with something like "View map"?

« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2005, 03:41:31 by Blanco »
Search or search or search before you ask.

Offline KeyCat

• Members
« Reply #20 on: 15 Apr 2005, 13:59:06 »
This does work in multiplayer.  I've tested it on a dedicated server and it worked fine.

Yea the addon works ni MP, I was meaning the "stand close and look at map" feature.

Give the unit with the map an addaction. When you are standing close to the unit, you are able to click the action and see the map.
You don't even need a loop, just an action.

Thats a great idea Blanco that may work and will probably require a minimum resources if it works  :)

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)