Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Rolled up Map Model Request  (Read 3302 times)

Strango

Rolled up Map Model Request
« on: 02 Apr 2005, 20:39:23 »
I'm in need of an individual that's good with creating models and skins to create a rolled up map.  I would also need a 2D picture to be used in the inventory screen.  

The new item will be used in the Binocular / NVG slots.  The main idea behind the add-on is that if you enable the script that will be packaged with the add-on you will require this item to be in your inventory in order to view the map.   If you don't have it then you'll get a black screen for the map part and just be able to see your Notepad and the other objects you may have enabled.  Other restraints are worked into the script as well such as not being able to look at the map while you are running or sprinting.

The script is already written and working.  The add-on config file is easy to make, but unfortunately I don't have any graphical talent.  Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Strango

Re:Rolled up Map Model Request
« Reply #1 on: 05 Apr 2005, 16:46:28 »
bump

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 05 Apr 2005, 19:16:28 »
What exactly do you need?  Someone to make textures for the object, someone to make a model, or someone to do both?

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #3 on: 05 Apr 2005, 19:20:10 »
Hmm, smart idea...
There is a "Secret Documents" addon, that is simliar to this (Papers that show up in inventory). As for the model, well, will you ever see it? If so, you could easily get away with a cylinder and a texture.
Good luck with it
- Ben

Strango

« Reply #4 on: 05 Apr 2005, 20:21:49 »
I need someone to make both a model and textures.

I'm actually using the Secret Documents (ssv_documnets) add-on now to test the scripts I've written.  It works great, except that it says secret documents for everything and the in-game model is a clipboard.

I'm making the add-on with co-op in mind.  In some missions I plan on just giving one person the map in a squad.  If someone else wants to see the map the person with the map would have to drop it so the other person can pick it up.  So at that point they would see it laying on the ground.  If I can't find anyone to make a new model I'll try and contact the SSV guys and see if I can use their clipboard.

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: 06 Apr 2005, 04:31:01 »
Hey Strango,

Will something like this work?  You can find it under Empty-MAPS-Everon Map.  If it will work for you, feel free to use it in your addon.  You'll have to write a new config, though.  The quick config I wrote for it has it defined as a thing, and you'll want it defined as a weapon.

EDIT:
The map may be a little too long.  If it is, tell me, and I will shorten it.  Also, the map has no weight, so if you shoot it, it will fly off into space.  If you want the map to have weight, again tell me, and I will add it.
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2005, 04:33:58 by Student Pilot »

Strango

« Reply #6 on: 06 Apr 2005, 17:33:48 »
That looks great Student Pilot, Thanks!

Give me a few days to compile everything and get it tested then I'll post the finished product.

Strango

« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2005, 17:41:07 »
I finished up the add-on.  The zip file is attached.

Thanks again Student Pilot.

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2005, 00:12:21 »
Looks good, Strango!  You may want to put the addon up for beta-testing here: http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=43

Offline KeyCat

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2005, 14:35:00 »
Hi Strango,

Great work! Been looking for something like this. Another thing that would be usefull is that if you stand close to the one that currently have the map object (lets say 1-2 meters) you could also view it. This way two (or more) people could discuss over the map in co-op games if being close.

Also, it would be nice if the map was a "real" object you could pick up from a table etc.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

- The journey is the reward!

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2005, 14:40:40 »
Also, it would be nice if the map was a "real" object you could pick up from a table etc.

I think it's an object, because it's a weapon. You can place one on a table with weaponholder.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2005, 14:40:49 by Blanco »
Search or search or search before you ask.

Offline KeyCat

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2005, 15:15:43 »
Couldn't find the weaponholder but I know it's there somewhere??? However I placed the map in an ammocrate and that works to  :)

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2005, 15:25:47 »
@KeyCat
Weaponholder is a scripting command, try something like this:
gun = "weaponholder" createvehicle [0, 0, 0]
gun addweapon "ao_map"
gun setpos [(getpos table select 0), (getpos table select 1), 1]
gun setdir 143

Be sure to name the table 'table'.  Also, you will have to adjust the last 1 in the setpos command to get the map at the right height.  Use the setdir command to set the map to the desired direction.

I hope that helps!

Offline KeyCat

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2005, 15:41:44 »
Ahh didn't know that (it's not in Command Ref???) thought he meant the weaponrack that I've seen before. Thanks for clarifying! Will try it out ASAP....

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2005, 15:46:42 by KeyCat »

Strango

« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2005, 16:37:09 »
Another thing that would be usefull is that if you stand close to the one that currently have the map object (lets say 1-2 meters) you could also view it.

I'll see what I can do.  I need to find a way that won't be too stressful on the client PCs.