Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: A Deus Ex style conspiracy mission/campaign  (Read 4208 times)

Offline Morglor9

• Members
Re:A Deus Ex style conspiracy mission/campaign
« Reply #15 on: 15 Apr 2005, 01:11:36 »
what i meant was if anyone knows of a good put together complex that i could use for training. "editor extra" is one of the download sections at ofp.gamezone.cz. you download the mission file where someone has created a base or something, copy and paste it into your mission. but that's 100% off topic.

i like what you said about changing the island. does anyone know of any that would work well for this? i was thinking of New Ocean Island. i guess the Nogova police force could work as the New Ocean Police force, as none of their stuff says "Nogova" on it.

This campaign is made to be like deus ex in terms of feel and atmosphere, not a total reproduction. as i have already said, i don't intend to script augmentations into OFP for use by the player.
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2005, 05:43:58 by Morglor9 »
Cymbaline

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #16 on: 15 Apr 2005, 08:22:40 »
Well, here is a thread; looks like people are discussing pretty much the same thing in terms of islands.

I have a few islands which ofpwatch downloaded for me, that i haven't had a chance to look at yet but will in time. One is City Harbour Island, which is afk a modification of gaia, the other is [STO] strike island - plus there is this one they're discussing in that thread.

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #17 on: 17 Apr 2005, 00:33:42 »
i'm using Ocean Island now, it is small but as you may remember, the DX mission areas were tiny.
Cymbaline

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #18 on: 17 Apr 2005, 07:04:01 »
Ah!~ but keep in mind that levels in Dx were, well, i guess 'multi-tiered' is as good a description as any. Example: one of the early missions, in hell's kitchen. The actual area contained in the mission was no more than a couple of city blocks, but there was a hotel, a clinic, several enterable buildings some with several stories, the streets, the sewer tunnels, part of a subway, storage rooms, an underground bar.... there was a LOT packed into a relatively small space.

It wouldn't be the same if you restricted the player to the equivalent area in ofp. Since there is not really any way you can expect that AI to cope on the second story of a building, for example, most if not all npc interactions would have to take place on the ground level, otherwise you'll have loons getting stuck inside walls, running off rooftops, et cetera. This would result in 'cramming' of npc s within a small space. In addition, the player movement speed in ofp is faster than dx. What do I mean by this? Well, the time it takes you to run the length of a building is about half a second in ofp. There is nothing meaningful you can have or do that involves a long time being spent inside a building, because of this. And, of course, even the most detailed large buildings in ofp are really not that detailed inside.

So, you'll really need to spread the mission areas out a lot more. I'm not saying do away with city areas and buildings altogether, but you will probably need to keep the action outdoors mostly. Obviously.

Also- re augmentations. If it were possible, I don't think augmentations would be a bad thing to include at all. However as you say they would be quite difficult to script

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #19 on: 17 Apr 2005, 23:39:03 »
some augs would be easy to script (like first aid and ballistic protection) but others wouldn't be, and then there's also the problem of bioelectricity. i don't have any idea how someone would script that. add the fact that OFP doesn't have many futuristic addons, so the technology for augs would be out of place for c.1999. over all i think the main idea will be a different type of story that would be new to the OFP community and a higher level of interaction with characters.

about the buildings, i think most action will take place on the streets of the city where the campaign will be set, rather than in the buildings. there are numerous threads running about AI patrols in buildings, so that may unlock some secrets that i could use.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2005, 06:49:33 by Morglor9 »
Cymbaline

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #20 on: 20 Apr 2005, 05:49:52 »
Well, if you do decide to retain the concept of augs as a possibility, I have some ideas for:

o Ballistic protection (not involving hit or dammaged EH's, or even the getdammage command)
o Targeting/optical enhancement
o Aggressive defense (will work along the same lines as ballistic protection)

Less likely but still possible:
o SpyDrone
o Cloak
o Radar transparency

Easy (only been done a million times):
o Regen

Others would be more difficult: Microfibral muscle, Speed enhancement etc. But they may be unneccesary.

Just throwing ideas up in the air; it sounds as though you have largely planned this already. Also, I should mention I'd be happy to offer mission making assistance/join the team if you would like :)

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #21 on: 21 Apr 2005, 00:17:10 »
excellent on the aug ideas. I take it you have some background knowledge in scripting. yes, i do have most of the campaign planned out (roughly). There are still kinks that need to be worked out and motives to be created in more depth, but i pretty much have it. I'm still thinking about the addition of augs, but i believe i could say that the campaign is set in, say, 2025. Thus, no one will have too much trouble believing that there would be augs.
Anyway, i basically need to decide on units and weapons. i keeping with DX, there will most likely be one assault rifle, one sniper rifle, one shotgun, etc., etc. I have no idea what to use for the different sided units, aside from the nogova police pack.
Thanks for the offer to help, but let's not dwell on that anymore, or a moderator will come in screaming recruitment ;).
Cymbaline

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #22 on: 21 Apr 2005, 09:27:39 »
;)

... and a flamethrower, plasma gun, ps20, nanosword, riot prod etc. Although that's probably getting too futuristic. The plasmagun, ps20 and melee weapns you can probably do without, but you could certainly include a flamethrower. There is at least one good model for that (IMO the config and scripting can be greatly improved however). But of course, if you want unique weapons, you'll need a modeler.

Addons, though, touchy subject. As has been said in other threads, people love them - but never include them in missions. Moreover they're disinclined to download missions which are addon-intensive. On the other hand, it's more acceptable to include one or two smallish addons if you're making a campaign, since people aren't spending hours downloading the addons for a 10 minute mission.

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #23 on: 22 Apr 2005, 06:50:35 »
that's why the only addons i'm planing on using are the Nogova police pack, and Ocean Island. other than that i'm thinking BIS guns and such, and small addons that most people should have like EU 1.02 and such. I think most people won't find that too unreasonable, for a campaign. not like i'm asking people to download FDF (great mod, but its 475MB or something!) just for a 10 minute mission, as you say.
Cymbaline