Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Need help identifying addons.  (Read 3384 times)

Offline Woodpeckersam

• Members
  • I'm a llama! ooh! Yeah!
Re:Need help identifying addons.
« Reply #15 on: 27 Mar 2005, 00:43:36 »
And i did include roads.. thanks :) :D
so what addon used them? editorupdate?

Grunt249

« Reply #16 on: 27 Mar 2005, 01:00:19 »
I'm still not sure yet what addons those are, but I doubt it would have been the editor update. I can't be certain on that, but I'm pretty sure. If you are using the editor update, then you would not have recieved any "missing addon" errors.

There are times that older missions, or newer missions at times, use addons that are rare and hard to find. In those cases, if you can't contact the original author of the mission to locate the needed addons, I think the easiest solution is what was told above. Find the addons in the mission.sqm, and replace them with a similar file that you do have. It's just a matter of renaming the addon, and then go into the editor to figure out what it was used for, so that you can replace it with something you have. In some cases you can just delete it completely without trouble, but it's best to check it first like we did with the tanks, and see if they were in a spot that looked important.

Thinking about it though, I think the theory that they were roads was correct. They might have been part of some STT road or texture pack, but I didn't see them in any of the STT files I found, including the island used. But "sttasfaltka" sounds like STT Asphalt maybe? Not sure, maybe someone should try and contact SelectThis and ask him about it.

So as of now, the mission works? Were you able to download the rest of the addons ok?

Offline Woodpeckersam

• Members
« Reply #17 on: 27 Mar 2005, 19:29:33 »
dude, i never recieve missing addon errors, i just really want to find out where they come from thats all so if i release a mission, i can help people to figure out where i got my addons from. But thats a big   IF   i may or may not release my mission.

Grunt249

« Reply #18 on: 27 Mar 2005, 19:40:15 »
dude, i never recieve missing addon errors, i just really want to find out where they come from thats all so if i release a mission, i can help people to figure out where i got my addons from.

Ok, I got it now. I thought this was for a mission you downloaded somewhere, and couldn't play it because you couldn't find the addons used. I am in the process of making a campaign right now, and have made several missions in the past. There is a technique that I use, might be something you would like to try.

Before I make a mission, I think about all aspects of it. Where will it take place, what will be the time frame, what nations are involved, etc. Based on that information, I think about addons that I wish to use that match the desired mission ideas. I will then make a new mod folder, such as "@Mission1", and place all the addons I want in that mod folder. I will also make a new startup icon that starts OFP with only that mod folder. This way I know that when I use the editor, I will only have objects available that are part of those addons. This way, I know exactly what is being used and where it came from, and I already have a "Required Addons" list ready for my readme file.

It might not be a method that everyone would find helpful, but for me it works. Try it out some time, see what you think.  :)

Offline Woodpeckersam

• Members
« Reply #19 on: 27 Mar 2005, 23:34:58 »
to tell you, the STT are roads. So er... the flags.pbo are already inputted into the game.

Thanks for all your help guys.. good luck in everything you do :)