Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Dak To ('Nam mission)  (Read 11487 times)

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
(Review Completed) [SP] Dak To ('Nam mission)
« on: 10 Mar 2005, 19:56:30 »
Dak To
Version 1.1 BETA 4
By Hawkins

What you need to play:
SEB NP2 & CoC Mines - http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?special=articles/mods.html#5
Ebud's Jungle Everon - http://ofp.gamezone.cz/islands/Jungle_Everon_1_20.zip
Editor Update 1.02 - http://tuote.org/~black-beret/vietnam/KegetysEditorAddon111.zip
Footmunch's F4 Phantom - http://tuote.org/~black-beret/vietnam/f4e.zip

or alternatively, all of the above should be found at ofpec.com

OFP Res v.1.96
http://www.flashpoint1985.com

Overview:
The NVA has been pushing the US troops further and further back. Now it's time to stop it! Take part on an assault to Dak To and take the city!

Includes:
  • Intro
  • Outro Win/Loose
  • Briefing
  • Overview
  • Voices
  • Music

Mission updated 05/05/05, 2015 hours
Finnish time, GMT +2

To be included in later versions:
  • Hmm... What do you think?

Other comments:
A mission which was started and finished at least three years ago. Remade using NP2 and the latest goodies. Original concept has stayed the same, only some minor changes, like the defending part, has been made. Scripting is used now, the last mission was a trigger orgy. :) What can I do eh? It was back in the day. :D
Anyway, this isn't a high-tech mission and will probably be a waste of time, but if you enjoy a large attack, try this out, if you want. :)

Here's the download link:
http://tuote.org/~black-beret/shieet/Dak_To_v1_1_Beta4.zip
or
http://ofptf.net/users/Hawkins/Dak_To_v1_1_Beta4.zip
~3.2mb
Mission updated 05/05/05, 2015 hours
Finnish time, GMT +2

All suggestions/comments will be appriciated!

Hawkins

Edit: This mission has been reviewed and is available from the Missions Depot.
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2009, 01:50:56 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

Offline sim

• Members
  • Hot! Real hot! Damn Hot!
Re:'Nam: Dak To (SP)
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2005, 20:22:50 »
I'll have to give this a go  :)

The Unsung Campaign Team Leader

GI-YO

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2005, 16:09:43 »
I like Nam mission but there rarer than rocking horse s**t. i'll play an update as i progress

OVERVIEW - nice picture and text, maybe a few too many exclamation marks. For westmorland  ;D

INTRO - Good stuff liked it alot. The truck taking the men or R'n'R drove into a house and then a tent that should be on a safe or careless WP to stick to the road. "Damm custer f*ck" - i didnt know what that was about. sounds like adigio for strings, but the choral version. very Nam.

BRIEFING - Very good :thumbsup:. all there intel, mission plan. Looks proper miliatry not just kill the baddies type objectives.

MISSION - we wait for the bird to pick us up, i reload the mag to burn time. We hop in and head fat to the start points, all the voices sound clear and good. the chopper doesn't land and we bail out (did you use the flyinheight command and eject to get this effect?) this is a great touch and true to life. were running south now towards Dak To (montignac :P) My leader runs so fast i cant catch up with him and the rest of my squad kills the NVA without my help, i see a few siloettes in the distanmce so like a true grunt put my gun on auto and let loose getting as many rounds downrange, but there friendlys. the player should be more involved in this first firefight beacuse its over by the time he/she gets there. You should have the sqaud leader suggest which front to cover, its all a bit vague as to where the nva counter attack will come from. after one to many freindly fire incidents im executed by my leader! This time i pick up an RPD  ;D and await the counter attack. All the M79'ers have their pistols out, i would think about taking tese away as they become useless without ther grenade laucnher at the ready. I spot them first and open up and hit not alot, but the rest of the guys open up and then the M60 kicks in, oh boy this is some hardcore firefight. I stop aiming after a while and just fire. once the first wave has been defeated a T55 appears! :o Now not to sound to fussy but the NVA first used T55's from about 1970's onward, before that they used the PT76 amphibious tank so this is kinda historically inaccurate, but i'll let it slide. now contact on the other side of the ville so i rush over and actualy hit someone and see him go down. Hazzar. im waiting around and not alot seems to be happening, so i grab an RPG and fire it into the sky like a mortar. still nothing happens so i go on a runaround and run through a booby trapped tent and die. starting in the ville again i wait in a great ambush place a when charlie crests that hill i waste them all with under 100 roounds. thats some good shooting if i dont say so myself. I wait for a good 10 minutes but nothing happens so i grab and rpg and head down the road to see where that tank got to. I hit it down the road with 4 rpgs but it doesnt blow (this rpg has the armour penetration of a cat) and i kill the crew. still nothing happens so im guessing there is a bit of an error somewhere.

OUTRO - didnt see

OVERALL - apart from not finishing this mission rocks. It is what all missions should be like, there are some great moments like the crescendo of machine guns as the counter attack is repulsed, my RPD adding to the noise  :). there are a few little changes i would make wheich are mentioned above. (if i have been to impatient because there is another counter attck tell me and i'll finish the mission). great stuff. a 6/10 but will be higher when the ending works. I noticed when aborting it said something like script vc14 not found, if that will help at all. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

GI-YO
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2005, 17:18:00 by GI-YO »

Offline Peter_Bullet

• Members
  • "The evil that men do lives on and on"
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2005, 17:55:16 »
I played it though it was difficult and I had to use savegame cheat....  :-[ (Skill 0.5) My suggestion is that you suggest a certain skill value (ex.: 0.7 for good players) in the readme or the dialog.

I liked the intro too. It was good quality and the custom voices were a nice surprise as not many people make them.

Briefing was quite good. It had the intel, but it didn't get boring. The mission was difficult for me... Placing the NVA in those firing positions under these things was realistic, but the enemies stayed under them and in the end many enemies just lay there doing nothing.... And I didn't find the last NVA soldier so I had to cheat again :( (endmission)

The outro was nice. The two soldiers carrying the third one was impressive. Also the music made me laugh :)

This thing is quite high quality, but clearing the village is abit hard when you have to find the last quy lying under the bush.... though I quess nothing can be done to this...

Dubieman

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2005, 03:12:37 »
Just starting it. I liked the intro...bully bully...and what's a cluster fuck?

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2005, 03:40:19 »
Viet-Nam... haven't played one of these in a while ;D

I had forgotten how nasty these missions can get... you did well to remind me.

Overview
  • The Picture was good, stood out from the page etc.
  • The text was very well written. It sold the mission well, got the pace up and made me feel excited :)
Intro
  • Does well to set the scene
  • The sound (music from the radio as well as voices) seemed far too quiet. I suggest upping the volume a little
Briefing
  • The notes were very well written. They emphasised that the operation was not one to look forward to. The only criticism I have is that they were a little hard to read, due to being in one big block. I suggest breaking them up into paragraphs, with a break between each one.
  • The link back to the plan page doesn't work (flaw in OFP's version of html). I suggest using 'click on the plan tab' or something similar.
  • Instead of saying 'here, here, here etc.' I suggest use 'Northeast, Southeast west' etc. This just helps situational awareness a little.
  • Possibly make it a bit clearer about which squad the player is in? It is hard to tell from the briefing (maybe make the marker a different colour or something?).
Mission
  • Again, all the radio calls were very quiet.
  • NICE hot insertion... very atmospheric and well done :)
  • The mission has that great feeling of being part of a large military operation. This ratchets up the atmosphere significantly.
  • I took Dak To reasonably easily, and holed up for the expected counter attack.
  • FAC spotted guys... it would have been nice if the FAC would mention the Armour though ;D
  • CRAZY!! The only thing that came next was slaughter. I didn't manage to finish the mission... there were just too many bad guys. I suggest having them in waves, with a slight time delay between each. Simply to give the player a chance!

I was always getting killed from a new direction... it may just have been because my platoon got massacared, but I had an incredibly hard time of it...[/list]

Other than the difficulty level, this mission has all the hall marks of greatness :)
Possibly split up that counter attack (no need to reduce numbers) to make it a bit more manageable, and you'll have yourself a winner ;)

Dubieman

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2005, 04:43:34 »
Here we go, I played and while playing wrote my review so if its a little incoherent then soz. :P

Dak To:

overview: good pic, decent text

intro: good, bully bully again...
Don't get the cluster f#ck.

And the NVA wasted about 10 rounds each shooting the ameicans. Why not give each

"executioner" a dotarget to the appropriate prisoner, and use the fire command or fire

[AK47-, single] so its one shot maybe to the head, but not putting their Ak's on burst and

letting loose.

Briefing: I like how it is in the form of a memo with seperated parts. Looks good and

military. Though I found that the link back to the main page from execution made the page go

weird and not show the objective, but clicking the plan heading fixes it.

Mission:

Whoops! I didn't know the skill thing was for the enemy! Ahh! That does add to the

replayability though. Set it at 0.8, I'm screwed...

Okay, I wait and then get some radio messages I can't hear due to the huey's and the music.

We get in the air after our Huey does some funny touch and go with the ground.We fly to our

LZ and jump out. I hear something about bravo needing a medic, maybe someone hurt themselves

jumping out of the choppers?

Anyways we attack the enemy and get slaughtered. I throw grenades in the bunkers and then

take residence in the "big" gun bunker and get a M60. From there I kill a few more NVA and

obj complete.

Some choppers come in and let our troops off but some of the choppers get stuck to the

ground and crash or just go down somewhere. I find tons of NVa in town again and from my

hiding spot put down at least 10 of them. I run to outside the city amid ak leadthat's

flying around me to find, tada, a t54 in good condition. I use that to take care of the

remaining NVA and now I'm stuck with a bunch of americans who are angry at me for some

reason. Maybe I blew someone up by accident. I dunno...

But when I finished the last NVA off I found our reinforcement troops laying in the

crossroads and a bunch of NVA interspersed with them and no one was firing on each other. I

am very suspicious. I have'nt finished the mission yet because of this.

And I noticed all choppers are down and only one huey is still alive, but its :landed" and

won't go back into the air again.

Hope this helps, but if you could  explain my situation, maybe I could finish the mission.
Cheers
GRK

@Sui, taking Dak To was easy? What are you on? :noo:
But I find those DVSHK machine gun bunkers are verrry good for putting down that counterattack.

@Hawkin's again: I noticed those little "objects" in the tents. Surprised me quite a bit after I ran up and put some M60 rounds in the NVA officer's head. I had the idea that tents would hide me a little, but noo. ;D

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2005, 11:10:38 »
Thank you very much guys! :) Some great stuff here, will help me alot. ;)

@GI-YO
the chopper doesn't land and we bail out (did you use the flyinheight command and eject to get this effect?)
Yep, it's a modified version of some old parajump script from flashpoint.net, which was the site back in the day. It's not foolproof, and it needs some touching up. :)

You should have the sqaud leader suggest which front to cover, its all a bit vague as to where the nva counter attack will come from...after one to many freindly fire incidents im executed by my leader! This time i pick up an RPD
It's ment to be a bit vague, but you're right. Due to the large open fields of Jungle Everon, the FAC's would have no problem spotting those troops. I'll do something to it. ;)
FF incidents are a pain, yes. :D Imagine this in thick jungle with triple canopy. ;D You gotta be sure what to shoot at, that's for sure. :)

Now not to sound to fussy but the NVA first used T55's from about 1970's onward, before that they used the PT76 amphibious tank so this is kinda historically inaccurate, but i'll let it slide.
True, was thinking of completly taking the tank away. I added it there by someones suggestion, can't remember. :o Wasn't too worried about accuracy, since the whole mission is a bit dodgy on the accuracy. ;)

I wait for a good 10 minutes but nothing happens so i grab and rpg and head down the road to see where that tank got to. I hit it down the road with 4 rpgs but it doesnt blow (this rpg has the armour penetration of a cat) and i kill the crew. still nothing happens so im guessing there is a bit of an error somewhere.
Hmm I though I fixed that one. :o It actually worked on the last few times I tested it. There's some NVA in good positions on the south side of the ville IIRC. It might be them. I'll take a look at it, and maybe add a enemy flee script or something similiar. :)

I noticed when aborting it said something like script vc14 not found, if that will help at all. Keep up the good work
Thank you for playing GI-YO! I'm glad you found time for this one. :) I think the vc14 error was a sounds error, since I have some vietnamese sounds in there, which the enemy shouts randomly, something that adds a bit to the athmosphere. ;)

@Epeli

I played it though it was difficult and I had to use savegame cheat....
No worries mate. ;) I use that all the time when beta testing. :)

Placing the NVA in those firing positions under these things was realistic, but the enemies stayed under them and in the end many enemies just lay there doing nothing.... And I didn't find the last NVA soldier so I had to cheat again
Yea they're well dug in. I'll fix the enemy not moving from the positions in the next version. ;)

The outro was nice. The two soldiers carrying the third one was impressive. Also the music made me laugh
Heh, tried to add something from FMJ to it, though the humour might not suite everyone. :) Glad you liked it. And yes, that song that plays there is one of the best from that timeline. ;)
Thanks for playing Epeli! :)

@GuiltyRoachKillar
The guy lost a poker game. ;) It's not that obvious I know, a nice table with some cards would be nice. *hint hint* :D

@Sui

The notes were very well written. They emphasised that the operation was not one to look forward to. The only criticism I have is that they were a little hard to read, due to being in one big block....The link back to the plan page doesn't work (flaw in OFP's version of html). I suggest using 'click on the plan tab' or something similar.
Yes you're right. I know the excuse of the briefing being just a 5 minute quick-fix from the old mission doesn't convince you. :P I'll touch it up. ;)
That error truely is an annoying one! :-\\ Will add the note to click the plan tab. :)

Instead of saying 'here, here, here etc.' I suggest use 'Northeast, Southeast west' etc. This just helps situational awareness a little.....Possibly make it a bit clearer about which squad the player is in? It is hard to tell from the briefing (maybe make the marker a different colour or something?)
Right again, will touch those up. :)

CRAZY!! The only thing that came next was slaughter. I didn't manage to finish the mission... there were just too many bad guys. I suggest having them in waves, with a slight time delay between each. Simply to give the player a chance!
Sh!t piles up so fast in 'Nam you need wings to stay above it. ;D Crazy was something I went after, to make the player feel alone. Though, making the attack in waves could be nice. I'll add a delay between the attacks. ;)
Thank you for playing Sui! :)

@GuiltyRoachKillar

And the NVA wasted about 10 rounds each shooting the ameicans. Why not give each "executioner" a dotarget to the appropriate prisoner, and use the fire command or fire [AK47-, single] so its one shot maybe to the head, but not putting their Ak's on burst and letting loose.
DoFire is used, I'll test with the two later ones too. ;)

Though I found that the link back to the main page from execution made the page go weird and not show the objective, but clicking the plan heading fixes it.
Will be fixed. :) I just love that small annoying error. :P

Whoops! I didn't know the skill thing was for the enemy! Ahh! That does add to the replayability though. Set it at 0.8, I'm screwed..
Next version will hopefully have a skill selection for both sides. :)

But when I finished the last NVA off I found our reinforcement troops laying in the crossroads and a bunch of NVA interspersed with them and no one was firing on each other. I am very suspicious. I have'nt finished the mission yet because of this
They're fraternizing with the enemy! Smoke 'em! ;D I ran into this bug too when the friendly reinforcements arrived. I've looked through the creation scripts and such, I have absolutely no idea what causes them to be on the east side. I'll look more into it, that's for sure. :)
Though, I'm glad to hear someone else had this error too. I started to think my computer has developed a mind of its own. :D

And I noticed all choppers are down and only one huey is still alive, but its :landed" and won't go back into the air again.
Another strange error, will be looked into. :)

I noticed those little "objects" in the tents. Surprised me quite a bit after I ran up and put some M60 rounds in the NVA officer's head. I had the idea that tents would hide me a little, but noo.
Boom! ;D

@All
Thank you very much for playing, this info will make the mission alot better. :) Next version will come soon, hopefully later tonight. Though I'll have to put my studying for final exams as first priority. :o Will try to get a new version out today, won't be studying all night. ;D

Offline sim

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2005, 14:47:07 »
Still havn't gotten round to testing  :( I'll wait for you new version later on and then give it ago before bed  :)

sim

Dubieman

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2005, 17:35:06 »
Hmm, those americans are on the east side?
No wonder they were shooting at me! ;D
I think I've still got my t54, they won't last long. ;)

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2005, 22:16:07 »
New version up!

Added stuff:

You will now get a piece of the action during the attack. Though I noticed that the friendly units might be a bit late sometimes. Should I make them come early enough to join the attack?

Friendly skill level selection added. You can now define the skill of units on both sides! Adds a bit more to replayability.

Made sounds a bit louder.

Briefing touched up...

Other stuff I can't possible remember... :)

Things from which I would like to hear your oppinion on:

1) Should I make the guys on 2nd platoon take part on the assault more, or do you as the player want to see some more action during the assault?

2) CAS, should I add some? Was thinking of adding it to the defence part. Possibly scripted, since I don't want to use any more addons. Though, I have a nice Skyrider or a Phantom here... ;) Some napalm...hmm? :D

3) Difficulty? Is it ok? Should there be more enemies? Less friendlies?

I think that's it. :) I hope you have fun playing! ;)

Offline sim

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2005, 21:13:13 »
Downloaded now, off to play in a bit  :)

Offline burroughs

• Members
  • Join SpetsNaz: meet interesting people and kill'em
    • Grupa Reagowania Operacyjno - Manewrowego/Mobilnego
« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2005, 20:22:57 »
Are you the "worldwide famous Hawkins of  Hawknam"? ... If so, why don't you update your site at all?I drop in on almost each day and still there's no change at all!How about some new missions, mate?Have you become an REMF at last or what?And now, sticking to the point - on to the mission: yes, please, I'd love to see some action and to have some airstrikes at my disposition just like it was Nam for real. And don't hesitate to use any addons that only fit into the Vietnam war era: Nam fans just like us won't hesitate for too long, even if it requires to put a little effort into finding them. Others would always complain, so who cares?
"...1st rule regarding SpetsNaz: you do not talk about SpetsNaz.  2nd rule is: you do not talk about SpetsNaz.  3rd rule is to obey the first two. ... "/ V.Suvorov, "SpetsNaz; the story behind the Soviet SAS."

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2005, 22:03:22 »
Love Nam. Will download after those bastard aliens keep shooting down my interceptors. I mean, how fair can it be? They got plasma and shit and I got bullets... >:(

I hate UFO: Enemy Unknown

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #14 on: 20 Mar 2005, 11:48:38 »
Are you the "worldwide famous Hawkins of  Hawknam"? ... If so, why don't you update your site at all?I drop in on almost each day and still there's no change at all!How about some new missions, mate?Have you become an REMF at last or what?And now, sticking to the point - on to the mission: yes, please, I'd love to see some action and to have some airstrikes at my disposition just like it was Nam for real. And don't hesitate to use any addons that only fit into the Vietnam war era: Nam fans just like us won't hesitate for too long, even if it requires to put a little effort into finding them. Others would always complain, so who cares?

Worldwide famous!? Damn. ;D
Sorry for not updating the site, I've been working almost full time with my final exams at college and some nasty 'Nam stuff, of which you can see pics at my site. ;) You can count that I'll start updating the site more. :) Just been a bit busy with RL.
You're right about the addons, what ever addon makes the 'Nam experience greater, one should use it. I'll add the CAS to the next version. :)

@dmakatra
Jump into the nearest time machine and transfer yourself back to the golden 60's, into the hot and dangerous jungle, where every bush is your enemy and where the monkeys bite. ;D