Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Active camouflage!  (Read 3319 times)

Profe

Active camouflage!
« on: 09 Mar 2005, 06:10:58 »

If you haven't noticed a spider tank was released that can turn vrtually invisible.

would it be possible to achieve the same for infantry? I think it would be pretty kick ass.
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2005, 06:12:51 by Profe »

GI-YO

Re:Active camouflage!
« Reply #1 on: 09 Mar 2005, 12:08:14 »
I'm sure this thread will get locked because OFPEC is a no go zone for sci-fi and other paranormal things. But i'm sure it could be applied to infantry and all models in OFP. Head over to the officer forums (codemasters.com) and ask there. Thats the best place for an answer to this question.

GI-YO

Profe

« Reply #2 on: 09 Mar 2005, 18:15:19 »
ah thanks, I got confused and thought it was in fact the BIS formus that had the zero tolerance for scifi.

Offline oyman

• Members
  • king of pings
« Reply #3 on: 09 Mar 2005, 19:36:44 »
it might get locked but im gonna answer anyway ;)

all you need to do is give the model some hiddenselections and then do the setobjecttexture command to it :)

Offline Infierie Blou

• Members
  • Keep your friends close but your enemies closer
« Reply #4 on: 09 Mar 2005, 20:52:09 »
that is sweet whered you get that?

Kyle Sarnik

« Reply #5 on: 09 Mar 2005, 21:10:16 »
Its on the home page of this site  ::) I suggest you spend some time to read the news every day, else you get cought outta the loop.

Coldfire

« Reply #6 on: 09 Mar 2005, 22:05:00 »
Um... not neccacarily Sci-fi the US army is experimenting with this tech right now... would this be possible to do on a ground unit? (like infantry, i mean)

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #7 on: 09 Mar 2005, 22:27:53 »
The Japanese millary of some kind are developing something that does that.. Like a rain coat (Like the free things they give out, ponchos?), that basicly mimics what's on the oposite side of the thing. Kinda like holding a TV screen on one side of you, and a video camera connected to it on the other side..
It won't make you invisble, but it makes you veeerry hard to see from any distance..
I've seem some pictures of it a while ago (can't remeber where), and it make a vauge version of what was behind the wearer, on the front of the material.. Was quite cool :)
(That was well over a year ago) (It was flexible as well, which is impressive)

So, it's real/non-scifi! :P

Same princibles apply to a unit (same as the tank)
Depbo it and have a look ;) (The maker described it on the BIS forum too)

- Ben

Coldfire

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2005, 06:32:42 »
A commando unit using this stuff would be extreamly cool... Imagine a Black Ops guy with Active Camo and a silenced XM-8 Carbine  ;D Throw in CoC's swiming system and maybe some sort of system allowing the unit to take multiple hits (another U.S. Millitary project: Balistic Armor) and you may well have the ultimate commando unit...

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2005, 01:19:47 »
And unfair misison.... I like! :P
Quick suggestion before I finaly get some sleep..
Make a dome, that is in viewlod..
It should make everything seem invisble.. but still noticable.. thus more fair (When a building disaperes you get suspicous, but from a distance you won't see anything really :))
I'll try it tomorrow.. can't type anymore, it turns into rubbish at this level of "alertness"..
- Ben

Coldfire

« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2005, 02:03:23 »
hehe, somone got way ahead of this topic: A soldier with optic (active) camo just got released on www.atwar.com

Lean Bear

« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2005, 11:45:32 »
I think you mean www.atwar.net :)

Here's a more direct link: click here

Looks pretty cool. Maybe it uses the same stuff as the tank for active camo?

Kyle Sarnik

« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2005, 16:14:13 »
But thats the problem. You couldn't get the proxies to become camouflaged, and wound textures would also be impossible (they would screw it up). If you had an RPG and say a PK and perhaps some NVGs on, you would be just as easy to spot (or easier) with the floating weapons.

Lean Bear

« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2005, 21:37:46 »
That's not entirely true. If you use setObjectTexture with a blank/clear (transparent) texture, then the wounds would be transparent.

Or, you could just set all the wound textures as transparent (or semi-transparent) textures in the config.

Kyle Sarnik

« Reply #14 on: 13 Mar 2005, 22:40:43 »
That's not entirely true. If you use setObjectTexture with a blank/clear (transparent) texture, then the wounds would be transparent.

Or, you could just set all the wound textures as transparent (or semi-transparent) textures in the config.

Yes, but then your soldier wouldn't have any wound textures while not cloaked. Using setobjecttexture to change the wounds might work, but it wouldn't work instantly, you would see a flash of the wound textured objects.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #15 on: 15 Mar 2005, 17:56:05 »
..FFS... I am sure someone is monitoring me.. I have the files on my PC for the active camoflauge stuff... Freaky..
My is neater, as it works on any person/vehicle.. I'll sort it out and upload it in an hour or so..

That this on ATWAR (and ofp.info now) looks not bad tho! :)
- Ben

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #16 on: 29 Mar 2005, 14:26:58 »
Hm, the GEOLod wokred the otherway around to what I though it did.. But if you make a dome or box, with a totaly transparent texture, you don't see whats behind it, say a tree, a building, or a person..
It makes it a bit more fair, as that bit of the building disappers, it wont be very obvoius form a distance, but you might notice if it appers infront of you.. A bit fairer than a gun walking towards you.. :P

- Ben