Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Cluster Bomb Script  (Read 4730 times)

Offline OFPfreak

• Members
  • Who is da operation flashpoint freak now, freak?!
    • OFP NFS mod
Re:Cluster Bomb Script
« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2005, 06:19:25 »
oh wait! wheres the download link!? Sorry if its there but the forum screwed up on my computer... will hopefully be better soon!
ofp nfs REBORN! All new nitro, neon, customized cars, off-road, on-road, rally, bikes, racer models and more!
ofp nfs's homepage

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2005, 07:05:57 »
wow, your fast, i hope you get the script fixed soon, i cant wait,

johan_d2

« Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 2005, 17:27:02 »
check Snypir's support pack, its already there and easy to use.. :D

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: 15 Feb 2005, 17:59:25 »
Ok, here is the newest version of the script! :D  Read the readme on how to use, here is a quick overview of how the script works:
This is a relatively simple to use script to simulate a cluster bomb.  It creates a laser guided bomb at the pos of the specified plane, and once the bomb reaches a  predetermined height, 120 shells of a specified type are created around the bomb and the bomb is deleted.  The shells fall to the ground and explode, simulating a cluster bomb.  The shells are randomly placed and given random velocities, meaning, each bomb will have a different footprint.

I have also added the ability to choose the size of the foorprint!

The script is now called like this:
Code: [Select]
[NameOfBomber, FootPrintRadius, "ShellType"] exec "ClusterBombing.sqs";
The new value, FootPrintRadius, is the radius of the area you want the shells to fall in.

This version should work with aircraft flying in any direction! ;)  Unfortunately, in order to fix this bug, I had to change the way the pattern is determined by the script.  As a result, the patterns may seem more square than rectangular. :-\

@penguinman

I have decided to keep the mission the way it is for now, so the viewer can see the effects of the script more clearly.  Maybe in a later version I will bomb the player. :P

EDIT
I forgot to mention.  I modified the script so a puff of smoke appears when the shells are dispersed.  I think I remember seeing this effect happen in some documentary when a cluster bomb disperesed it's shells.  If you don't like this effect, please tell me, if enough of you don't like it, I will remove it.
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2005, 03:23:38 by Student Pilot »

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: 16 Feb 2005, 01:01:10 »
ya i understand completely,

maby i will make a mission like as i descibed in my earlier post for u to use as ur demo mission. u know, with the machine gunners.
thanks

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
« Reply #20 on: 16 Feb 2005, 01:23:32 »
woah, really good, its perfect.

the smoke is good too

but could u add the 2 halfs of the bomb that split relasing the bomblets,

i dont know how hard it would be but it looks like so

maby u could paste 2 together and then be able to delete the laser guided bomb and have those, and then just split them when its time for the bomblets to come out,

i willl try to think of objects from the editor u can use

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #21 on: 16 Feb 2005, 02:53:13 »
I'm glad you like it!

About the casing, this is an interesting idea, but I don't think I will do this for two reasons:
1)I'm not sure if the effect would be noticeable enough to attempt, and...

2)more importantly, I don't think my scripting skills are good enough to do this! :P

I would have to split the two objects apart, and to do this I would have to find the direction the bomb is going.  This is the easy part.  The hard part will be to setvelocity them to split in the proper direction.  Maybe some scripting Guru knows how to do this, but I sure don't.

Sorry :-\

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: 16 Feb 2005, 03:01:27 »
thats ok,

i see a bug in the script though, after the smoke puff apears, the laser guided bomb continues to fall, and explodes among the little bomblets,

the laser guided bomb isnt being deleted for some reason, do u know how to fix it.

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #23 on: 16 Feb 2005, 03:13:30 »
I was afraid of this happening :-\

I will adjust the script and see if I can fix it.  Right now the script makes five clusters, waits for a random period between 0 and .2 seconds, and makes another five clusters.  I will try reducing the random number to .1 and see if that helps.

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #24 on: 16 Feb 2005, 03:24:37 »
Ok, try this.
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2005, 01:32:13 by Student Pilot »

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
« Reply #25 on: 16 Feb 2005, 22:26:45 »
works, fine, nice job

i think you should submit it now

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #26 on: 16 Feb 2005, 22:34:01 »
Ok, thanks penguinman!

I will wait another day or two and see if anyone else comments on it before I submit it.

Thank you for your beta-test, penguinman.  Your suggestions have made this script much better than I originaly thought possible!

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #27 on: 19 Feb 2005, 01:29:29 »
EDIT:
The script has been unpended and added to the Editors Depot under AIRBOURNE CRAFT, RAPELLING, PARACHUTING:
http://www.ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=767
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2005, 15:56:01 by Student Pilot »