Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Ia Trang + tropical sound  (Read 2237 times)

Aeon

Ia Trang + tropical sound
« on: 27 Sep 2002, 14:40:01 »
I always wanted to have Ia Trang with Jungle Everon's sound, and I can't wait anymore. So I will add sound myself, and guess what? it's easy  :)
It's seem there is no difference between forest/meadows surface so less sounds are playing  :-\ but that's doesn't matter sounds are cool even if fewer

This weekend I will collect and create new sound, if you got nice ones, please send me them (hurry! new Ia trang should be released this w-e or just after)

It's a minor improvement so I won't change name island or anything, two version should be compatible. I would have SelectThis opinion about that, and yours too guys

Offline DrStrangelove

• Members
  • Mr.Creative
Re:Ia Trang + tropical sound
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2002, 14:52:35 »
Correct me if i got that wrong but does that mean you want to do different versions of the Ia Trang island ?

In that case i urge you to work together with the team - i hate to DL several versions of the same addon.  :P

T.S.C.Plage

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2002, 15:47:33 »
You should realy work together with ST to get a new version of Ia Trang.

Some changes should be:

- moving the functional airfield to the island south cause no plane can take of at the SF airfield (not even a bronco) if AI controlled

- include a longer "street" (not that VC path) and an area where also vehicles can operate "freely"

- fix some "waterholes" and make some parts of the river "deeper"

- create bigger LZs

- maybe include a bridge at a "sidearm" of a river

Also it shouldn't be to difficult to create some Nam bunker addons (like the "hell" in Platoon for example) and rebuilt the bases a lil'.

And maybe also a lil' "Riverine Forces" base is needed now (LSSC + Pibber)!?! ;)

Greetz
Plage
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2002, 15:52:22 by T.S.C.Plage »

Aeon

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2002, 03:30:18 »
If you don't want download another version, keep the original first : different versions should be fully compatible (will check this with beta test)
but I suggest you to try it, GREAT IMMERSION  :thumbsup:

I think SelectThis is waitting for Visitor before to fix or improve his island. I just added few sounds -nothing else- I don't know WRPedit, I haven't the skills...  :-[

Beta-test starting tomorrow, if everything is ok and if SelectThis does not prohibit release, Ia trang with tropical sounds should be available to download the next day.
I added 5 quality sounds :
- Landscape sound (Day)
- Landscape sound (Night)
- Hill sound (Day)
- Rain sound (Day/Night)
- River or sea sound (Day/Night)

sebnam_ia_trang.pbo : 7081 Ko

Offline SelectThis

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2002, 04:10:33 »
Aeon,

While I appreciate the work you've done, not only to help promote the Nam era stuff but also with your helpful and supportive comments, I would prefer if you didn't release an edited version of Ia Trang to the public (private release is fine). The reason is that I don't want different versions floating around with the same classnames etc.

What I would like to do though, is once some new tools become available which will let me fix the Island, that we work together to use your new sounds.

SelectThis

Aeon

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2002, 13:20:45 »
well...
we waited a very long time for Oxygen, like for WRPedit. Should we wait again for Visitor or another unofficial tools ? We should, but I've got a bad feeling, OFP is less popular...support could be forgotten like the game so I doubt...That's why I said "I can't wait anymore"
But your are the boss, it is your island, so I respect your wish

Ia Trang with sounds available on request only for SelectThis,Ebud,Bibmi

T.S.C.Plage

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2002, 20:22:29 »
Like Aeon mentioned it's a time problem!

I for example need a working airfield for some of my missions and also that mentioned "river depth fix" cause you can't create a good river mission if other AI controlled boats can't follow you "across" the river crossing points.

Also a bigger LZ wouldn't be to bad cause the biggest one can only take 5 chopper at one "wave" as max.

In case this are all failures in the OFP engine (why can I take off, why can I cross the crossings ??? if I want I can park 20 choppers in a LZ...) but I think you should take care about it.

I'm trying to work a lil' with WRPedit and also a friend of mine has started to create addons (just beginning). He wants to work more on the lil' (static) stuff like boxes, walls, bunks etc. maybe we can help a lil'...if wanted!?!

Greetz
Plage
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2002, 20:25:17 by T.S.C.Plage »

Vyper

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2002, 21:59:04 »
I assume your talking about X-ray when you say 5 choppers.....i think thats pretty much how big it is/was....

Vyper

crow

« Reply #8 on: 07 Oct 2002, 07:05:09 »
In the war they did not land all the choppers at the same time.  One or two at a time then secure the LZ and continue the insertion.  Unless the area is secure you would not want all the choppers in one place on the ground. :)

Vyper

« Reply #9 on: 07 Oct 2002, 21:14:13 »
INdeed....one mortar round and its a chain reaction baby yea!

Vyper

CareyBear

« Reply #10 on: 09 Oct 2002, 08:08:28 »
Could someone please post a link to a download of the La Trang island? I have been unable to locate it despite some searching..

*hopes it's not hosted on OFPEC, cos if it is, I must be legally blind*

*gets "smellofnapalm.ogg", "rideofthevalkyries.ogg", "purplehaze.ogg" and "jimihendrixstarspangled.ogg" ready*

One other.. That was a PBR Mk I in Apocalypse Now, yes? What's the difference exactly (and has anyone made a mod?)

EDIT: Oh, and how about a surfboard mod... *chuckles*
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2002, 08:12:34 by CareyBear »

Frosty

« Reply #11 on: 09 Oct 2002, 09:20:31 »
Hey CareyBear, where do I find those music samples you mentioned?

CareyBear

« Reply #12 on: 09 Oct 2002, 10:19:46 »
erm... you rip 'em to .wav from your CD / VCR then convert them to .ogg with a conversion tool (see Sound forum). That's where I got them.

I'm not going to distribute them though - not because I'm an assh*le, but because I don't distribute copyrighted music. I do believe converting for personal use is fine though - if you own the CD. Just a personal ethics thing. I'm also over my bandwidth limit, so I couldn't even if I wanted to.. *coughs*

It's not hard to do yourself if you have it on CD, or a decent sound card with a line in. If you don't wanna buy it, just rent the movie... :D

Oh, and if you have a DVD drive there are progs which will let you rip an entire dvd soundtrack to a .wav file (assuming you have a prog that will process a 450MB .wav)

I doubt you'll have much trouble finding any of those particular sounds on the net as .wav or .mp3

Ex-RoNiN

« Reply #13 on: 18 Oct 2002, 12:58:17 »
So is the reworked Ia Trang going to feature Jungle Everon sounds?

Please say yes, that would kick ass  :D

They are needed, otherwise the nam feeling doesn't really come up :)

Bomberman

« Reply #14 on: 18 Oct 2002, 22:00:22 »
i just made some great ambient sounds for la-trang/vietnam maps. if you want to hear, give me your email adress.