Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Sniper position  (Read 5999 times)

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
Sniper position
« on: 01 Jan 2005, 12:49:22 »
I was just thinking, there arn't really any good tall building of OFP that you can place a sniper in. It would be good to have a tower (something like the Eiffel tower) or just a tall lighthouse (not the crappy OFP ones) that you could place a sniper in.
To make it even better, you could have an animated lift or something to get you to the top without climbing thousands of stairs or a really tall ladder.

At the moment, the tallest accessable buildings i've found are the spanish chapel, with a small bell tower, and the 8 floor flat block, which is just too obvious if someones on top of it.  ;)
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB

Sp00nY

Re:Sniper position
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jan 2005, 13:35:59 »
Good idea!

So no more chopper insertions for snipers on roofs.

I see more from the idea don't know if it's possible but adding a option on menu wich is an elevator that go on roof and that for all buildings with stairs.

I see it as a client side mod...

would be nice because the stairs are evil sometime u found yourself walking through walls and falling wich is not funny anymore after 3 attempts to climb up.

Shalashaska

« Reply #2 on: 01 Jan 2005, 21:59:34 »
Yeah! LOL, it happened to me lots of time...
Keep in tounch with this, ok?  ;)

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: 01 Jan 2005, 22:12:11 »
will do  ;)
RAAB

Dubieman

« Reply #4 on: 02 Jan 2005, 00:06:23 »
I just wanna say some buildings in OFP have some messed up windows that are impossible to shoot out of. You can hit far away targets, but nothing below. Grenades being equally worthless, no bouncing. :'(

Then for barns, you could have an action to go to the rafters via ladder. Once up there you have like 3 positions to choose from, no moving around a lot. To get down, again, the action menu.

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: 02 Jan 2005, 11:05:45 »
I have found a barn once, that came with Migs farmland pack. You could climb a ladder the rafters, then there was a very small and low profile window to shoot out of. Quite good actually, I forgot about that one  ;)

As for windows, argh, i'm no addon maker. Otherwise i'd be making this myself. I don't know whats possible and whats not.  ;)
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2005, 11:05:55 by greg147 »
RAAB

Dubieman

« Reply #6 on: 03 Jan 2005, 02:38:28 »
I also have one of those farmland packs, not sure who's...

But the buildings look sweet for a mission. Maybe I'll get going on one that actually has addons soon. :P ::) :)

OrangeLeader

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2005, 06:12:29 »
Well real snipers would not want to be in building especially towers. You can't get away. In a tower there would just be soldiers waiting at the bottom.

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2005, 09:02:35 »
You could get a heli evac.  ;)

Besides, you could use the building for artillery spotters etc. And when the enemy's invading your town, you could do with a sniper in a high position when friendly troops are defending the church aswell  8)
RAAB

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2005, 23:51:57 »
Haven't u played the sniper village mission from MOH:AA. Show's the greatness of snipers in rooftops.. VERY hard to spot at times.

Also.. would it be possible to change crouch animations for units once they've stopped and/or are near an object so they look more as if they're taking cover. Because then you could nicely script a sniper to pop up once in a while using doStop and setUnitPos.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2005, 23:54:29 by XCess »

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2005, 09:06:43 »
Yeah, and in Saving Private Ryan, when they come across the sniper in the tower. If they hadn't of had their own sniper, the group would have been held up for god knows how long. If any of them had moved too much, they would have been dead  :P
RAAB

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2005, 19:56:14 »
Depends where you are or what your trying to do..
If your trying to snipe a person in a town type area.. You got very little choise now, don't you :P
But yes, sniper positions (Or just openable windows on a few multistory houses would be good :D) would be brilliant! :)
- Ben

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2005, 21:54:16 »
make sure u use the destuctable objects thing created too. it's always nice to see a sniper killed by an explosion from a rocket or shell that takes out half the building with it.

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2005, 22:05:03 »
Destructable buildings? Can you get proper destructable ones? If so, where do I get them from?  ;D

That would be a good idea though. It would make a good cutscene to have a group of soldiers taking cover behind different objects scattered around a courtyard, then have a tank roll in and blow the top of the tower off  8)
RAAB

Dubieman

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jan 2005, 00:52:19 »
Sounds like a Call of Duty Finest Hour commercial, sniper/mg'er in a tower while the guy runs around, the plane crashes and then the tank rolls up and blows the tower in half, too bad it never happened in the game. :( :P

If I remember right, buildings with pieces coming off, or diff looks to them after being shot up makes for twice or triple the textures cause you have to have a new texture for each damage level. Or something like that, I just heard that somewhere. :-\

Coldfire

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jan 2005, 02:08:25 »
Destructable buildings? Can you get proper destructable ones? If so, where do I get them from?  ;D

I think Col. Klink is developing a "interactive building set" that lets you blow buildings up properly

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #16 on: 12 Jan 2005, 04:46:20 »
Yeah I heard about it awhile ago but not for quite sometime... Is it stil in dev or dead or what? I'd have loved to have that pak... altho it doesnt change default objects to destructible (you can replace em). I'd love to the results of an artillery barrage on a fully destructable town with snipers an everythin an then u clear it out.

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: 12 Jan 2005, 09:02:24 »
I remember seeing a pack being made that you can shoot through doors etc. Was that the one?  :P

Oh, and

Sounds like a Call of Duty Finest Hour commercial, sniper/mg'er in a tower while the guy runs around, the plane crashes and then the tank rolls up and blows the tower in half, too bad it never happened in the game. :( :P

I did happen, but in a different call of duty. In C.O.D allied offensive, the sherman blows the hell outta a sniper in a tower on the 3rd level  ;)
RAAB

Coldfire

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jan 2005, 13:54:46 »
I remember seeing a pack being made that you can shoot through doors etc. Was that the one?  :P

Yup, and if I remember properly it also applied to explosivres and other such things... so if the building was hit with a missile the whole thing would come apart. Mind you, I may be mis-remembering that so I would look it up to be sure.

Dubieman

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jan 2005, 19:33:18 »
I did happen, but in a different call of duty. In C.O.D allied offensive, the sherman blows the hell outta a sniper in a tower on the 3rd level  

Bah, giving the PS2 players the raw deal.... >:( ::) :P

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jan 2005, 19:43:52 »
Yah, I kinda thought C.o.D Finest hour was a rip off compared to the PC version. But thats going off topic.  ;)

Of course, it wouldn't just be a sniper position. If someone made a big enterable building like this, it could be used for artillery spotting, having MGs up there, or even counter-terrorist operations, where you have to fight your way up a building to kill the leader of the terrorists or something  :)
RAAB

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jan 2005, 20:09:17 »
Of course, it wouldn't just be a sniper position. If someone made a big enterable building like this, it could be used for artillery spotting, having MGs up there, or even counter-terrorist operations, where you have to fight your way up a building to kill the leader of the terrorists or something  :)
And get shot though a wall by a hyper-accurate AI!
Err, or not.. :P
But big buildings with windows etc would be brilliant :)
- Ben

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: 12 Jan 2005, 20:40:30 »
Yeah, the way AI can shoot and lay down through walls is somewhat of a problem  :P

Another thing that could go with this (it might be a script) is leaning with your weapon on a window, so your not constantly shaking when standing up. Then you could actually shoot properly  ;)

RAAB

Coldfire

« Reply #23 on: 12 Jan 2005, 21:07:54 »
Yeah, the way AI can shoot and lay down through walls is somewhat of a problem  :P

why dont you just set them in the standing postion permenatly?
Just type "This setunitpos "Up" in their INT feild.

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2005, 22:10:54 »
I forgot about that   :-[

I used setunitpos "UP" once whilst making an urban battle where you had to defend a building, and everyone was shooting out of windows etc. It worked quite well  ;)

The only problem is you have to put it into every unit, unless you copy and paste the unit. Or you could try it with a group.  :-\
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2005, 22:11:58 by greg147 »
RAAB

Coldfire

« Reply #25 on: 12 Jan 2005, 22:57:41 »
I havn't figured out how to do it with a group yet, I ussually just pre-postion units using copy and paste. When I need to do it for a group I copy the text and go to each unit and paste it in the INT field. That takes awhile though so if anyone knows how to do it with the whole group all at once im all ears. :)

bigdog632

« Reply #26 on: 13 Jan 2005, 03:55:56 »
what ive read of snipers buildings and such would not be used by skilled ones, but i suppose unskilled ones would use them

i dont like the buildings because it seems no matter where you are one grenade to the outside and your dead

i rather like the new sniper mods that different packs come with with improved camouflage

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #27 on: 13 Jan 2005, 08:59:47 »
i dont like the buildings because it seems no matter where you are one grenade to the outside and your dead

Ah, but can someone throw a grenade to the top floor of a 20 story building at the same time as being in a firefight below, and having the sniper himself shooting at you?  ;)

As for camoflague, I have to admit, the new snipers people are making look really good. But they wouldn't be much use in an urban battle. For an urban battle, just a normal guy with DPMs wth a sniper rifle could be put in a tower and lay down acouple of rounds into the enemy.  ;)
RAAB

Coldfire

« Reply #28 on: 13 Jan 2005, 19:39:30 »
Also, keep in mind how effective snipers in large ruined buildings are. If you have a 10 story wrecked building with plenty of firing positions a group of snipers/ spotters could do ALOT of damage. Or, one sniper constantly switching postions would work well for the player.
Keep in mind thats EXACTLY what the Russians did in the Battle of Stalingrad, so there are historical examples of what im talking about.
Besides, A 10 story, semi-colapsed enterable building would be reward enough in ofp even if you didn't use it for snipers. Imagine the CQBs you could have with that! Not to mention the traditional "Hold the building at all costs" scenario, where you have to hold off wave after wave of enemys from all sides.

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #29 on: 13 Jan 2005, 21:37:16 »
Thats exactly what I was thinking of. Something big where, not only are there windows to shoot out of, but holes in the walls and the roof and stuff.

Thats what actually gave me the idea, playing Call of duty on the sniper levels  ;)
RAAB

Coldfire

« Reply #30 on: 14 Jan 2005, 00:41:55 »
Thats what actually gave me the idea, playing Call of duty on the sniper levels  ;)

The Pavlov appartment mission in the origional, right?  ;)

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #31 on: 14 Jan 2005, 08:59:14 »
You guessed it  ;)
RAAB

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #32 on: 18 Jan 2005, 18:30:07 »
Keep in tounch with this, ok?  ;)

Anyone got anywere or thought about making one of these? Its just, the idea seemed popular, so I didn't want people to forget it completely like most of the addons ideas in this section ;)
RAAB

Offline Infierie Blou

• Members
  • Keep your friends close but your enemies closer
« Reply #33 on: 21 Jan 2005, 12:01:32 »
I've made a (Textureless) building for snipers  without a ladder (Stairs only)
it looks good (so far) ;).

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #34 on: 21 Jan 2005, 17:05:20 »
Great!  ;D

Have you got a picture of it?  ;)
RAAB

Offline Infierie Blou

• Members
« Reply #35 on: 26 Jan 2005, 17:06:42 »
Here's one (of four)...

Offline Infierie Blou

• Members
« Reply #36 on: 26 Jan 2005, 17:07:43 »
(sorry it's three) two...

Offline Infierie Blou

• Members
« Reply #37 on: 26 Jan 2005, 17:08:26 »
three.
do you like them???

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #38 on: 26 Jan 2005, 17:31:19 »
You, are a genious  ;D

How many floors are there in them?
RAAB

Offline Infierie Blou

• Members
« Reply #39 on: 28 Jan 2005, 13:23:13 »
Only 2 but 3 inc roof (Helis don't land on the roof yet but working on it!!!  they bounce off... :-[)
But still lots of bugs (to be fixed only on v0.1) ;).

Offline Infierie Blou

• Members
« Reply #40 on: 28 Jan 2005, 14:06:59 »
sorry not tested with A.I.  :-[

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #41 on: 28 Jan 2005, 17:22:35 »
Keep it up, you're doing a great job  ;D ;)
RAAB

Offline Infierie Blou

• Members
« Reply #42 on: 29 Jan 2005, 15:33:39 »
Got a beta ver but don't know if admin will apriciate me sending out addons.
(And to big). ;)

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #43 on: 29 Jan 2005, 15:37:50 »
Great!  ;D

You could always E-mail it to me. I'd love to test it out.  ;)

If you do, its gregface@hotmail.com
RAAB

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #44 on: 31 Jan 2005, 18:27:00 »
Just tested it. Its good! Very tall  ;D
As its a beta, I don't know whats still to come, but so far its great.  ;)
What textures are you going to use on it?
RAAB

Offline Infierie Blou

• Members
« Reply #45 on: 02 Feb 2005, 16:20:43 »
not shore but I'm working on it (no textures yet! & I work on it as I go along and make lower sniper pos.). ;)
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2005, 16:21:34 by inblow »

Offline Infierie Blou

• Members
« Reply #46 on: 05 Feb 2005, 13:54:08 »
For all those who don't know (All but greg 147, jasox 54 and me)
there is a H pad on the side (but helis bounce off building so...) also a Hpad on the top.

(So lets hope this is a sucses ;D).