Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Sniper position  (Read 5998 times)

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
Sniper position
« on: 01 Jan 2005, 12:49:22 »
I was just thinking, there arn't really any good tall building of OFP that you can place a sniper in. It would be good to have a tower (something like the Eiffel tower) or just a tall lighthouse (not the crappy OFP ones) that you could place a sniper in.
To make it even better, you could have an animated lift or something to get you to the top without climbing thousands of stairs or a really tall ladder.

At the moment, the tallest accessable buildings i've found are the spanish chapel, with a small bell tower, and the 8 floor flat block, which is just too obvious if someones on top of it.  ;)
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB

Sp00nY

Re:Sniper position
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jan 2005, 13:35:59 »
Good idea!

So no more chopper insertions for snipers on roofs.

I see more from the idea don't know if it's possible but adding a option on menu wich is an elevator that go on roof and that for all buildings with stairs.

I see it as a client side mod...

would be nice because the stairs are evil sometime u found yourself walking through walls and falling wich is not funny anymore after 3 attempts to climb up.

Shalashaska

« Reply #2 on: 01 Jan 2005, 21:59:34 »
Yeah! LOL, it happened to me lots of time...
Keep in tounch with this, ok?  ;)

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: 01 Jan 2005, 22:12:11 »
will do  ;)
RAAB

Dubieman

« Reply #4 on: 02 Jan 2005, 00:06:23 »
I just wanna say some buildings in OFP have some messed up windows that are impossible to shoot out of. You can hit far away targets, but nothing below. Grenades being equally worthless, no bouncing. :'(

Then for barns, you could have an action to go to the rafters via ladder. Once up there you have like 3 positions to choose from, no moving around a lot. To get down, again, the action menu.

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: 02 Jan 2005, 11:05:45 »
I have found a barn once, that came with Migs farmland pack. You could climb a ladder the rafters, then there was a very small and low profile window to shoot out of. Quite good actually, I forgot about that one  ;)

As for windows, argh, i'm no addon maker. Otherwise i'd be making this myself. I don't know whats possible and whats not.  ;)
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2005, 11:05:55 by greg147 »
RAAB

Dubieman

« Reply #6 on: 03 Jan 2005, 02:38:28 »
I also have one of those farmland packs, not sure who's...

But the buildings look sweet for a mission. Maybe I'll get going on one that actually has addons soon. :P ::) :)

OrangeLeader

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2005, 06:12:29 »
Well real snipers would not want to be in building especially towers. You can't get away. In a tower there would just be soldiers waiting at the bottom.

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2005, 09:02:35 »
You could get a heli evac.  ;)

Besides, you could use the building for artillery spotters etc. And when the enemy's invading your town, you could do with a sniper in a high position when friendly troops are defending the church aswell  8)
RAAB

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2005, 23:51:57 »
Haven't u played the sniper village mission from MOH:AA. Show's the greatness of snipers in rooftops.. VERY hard to spot at times.

Also.. would it be possible to change crouch animations for units once they've stopped and/or are near an object so they look more as if they're taking cover. Because then you could nicely script a sniper to pop up once in a while using doStop and setUnitPos.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2005, 23:54:29 by XCess »

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2005, 09:06:43 »
Yeah, and in Saving Private Ryan, when they come across the sniper in the tower. If they hadn't of had their own sniper, the group would have been held up for god knows how long. If any of them had moved too much, they would have been dead  :P
RAAB

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2005, 19:56:14 »
Depends where you are or what your trying to do..
If your trying to snipe a person in a town type area.. You got very little choise now, don't you :P
But yes, sniper positions (Or just openable windows on a few multistory houses would be good :D) would be brilliant! :)
- Ben

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2005, 21:54:16 »
make sure u use the destuctable objects thing created too. it's always nice to see a sniper killed by an explosion from a rocket or shell that takes out half the building with it.

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2005, 22:05:03 »
Destructable buildings? Can you get proper destructable ones? If so, where do I get them from?  ;D

That would be a good idea though. It would make a good cutscene to have a group of soldiers taking cover behind different objects scattered around a courtyard, then have a tank roll in and blow the top of the tower off  8)
RAAB

Dubieman

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jan 2005, 00:52:19 »
Sounds like a Call of Duty Finest Hour commercial, sniper/mg'er in a tower while the guy runs around, the plane crashes and then the tank rolls up and blows the tower in half, too bad it never happened in the game. :( :P

If I remember right, buildings with pieces coming off, or diff looks to them after being shot up makes for twice or triple the textures cause you have to have a new texture for each damage level. Or something like that, I just heard that somewhere. :-\