Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: RPGs  (Read 1622 times)

nmanjar

Re:RPGs
« Reply #15 on: 15 Dec 2004, 14:33:23 »
sorry, couldnt say thanks sooner, i jsut checked back on this, looks great,

for the grenades, could you have it assume its for the nearest posible target?

bored_onion

« Reply #16 on: 15 Dec 2004, 19:01:24 »
hmmm, ill look into it

Dubieman

« Reply #17 on: 15 Dec 2004, 22:03:51 »
For the dispersion part, could we not use the JAM RPGs once more except when you load a rocket that is a reg one, a script activates that randomly determines if that rocket gets switched to a HD rocket that usually goes off course.

Unless its the launcher that does it but I think its the ammo.
Would an idea like that work? So some rockets go normal and others stray off. I've got nothin for duds though, it'd be cool to hear a big clunk and smash as the rocket bounces off the chopper or imbeds itself there. :P ;D

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #18 on: 15 Dec 2004, 22:54:09 »
yeah, to jump start you B_O, to find the rocket, then the script used something like

_rpg = nearestObject [_unit,_ammo]

where _unit was the unit who fired and _ammo is the type of ammunition that was fired. It is all initiated out of an event handler. Also, it used getPos to find when the rocket was .21 metres off the ground, then froze it.

That part of the simulation would be the difficult part, trying to find how close to the helicopter the RPG is.  :P
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

nmanjar

« Reply #19 on: 16 Dec 2004, 02:13:23 »
once again, could we make it assume it is for the nearest possible enemy target?

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #20 on: 16 Dec 2004, 02:34:17 »
yes, the nearest enemy object would work, but you don't want to the RPG to hit the target, so you would have to find a way to compare the RPG pos to the chopper pos, then delete the RPG when it's closer than maybe a meter.

I suppose you could use the distance command now that I think about it.
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

bored_onion

« Reply #21 on: 16 Dec 2004, 18:29:31 »
the distance command was my thought but it would be really inconsistent

@GuiltyRoachKillar: what does HD stand for?

nmanjar

« Reply #22 on: 17 Dec 2004, 01:53:25 »
what about having the projectile lose its lock on a target, or teleport it at a certain distance to another spot [that sounds too complex thogugh]

bored_onion

« Reply #23 on: 17 Dec 2004, 17:59:27 »
RPGs dont lock :P

nmanjar

« Reply #24 on: 18 Dec 2004, 00:19:55 »
have it do so out of view of the player, have it lock to nearest enemy target, then do all that other junk, this is gettin complicated and maybe impossible but.....................?

bored_onion

« Reply #25 on: 18 Dec 2004, 12:50:30 »
well, i dont believe theres a way to check what the player is aiming at execpt when they fire and even then it requires trajectory calculations. i suppose you would need to use setdir and getdir and maybe a couple of direction functions then use the nearestobject command to find the nearest object, then to check if it is in the direction field of the player, then to check if it was enemy, then to check if it is a vehicle. It seems vaguely possible but its probably too involved for me. I pass the baton on here for now...