Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Here me out, Admins  (Read 2314 times)

Sophion

Here me out, Admins
« on: 17 Dec 2004, 15:12:57 »
This might have been tried for a question before ,and might have ended in a 'flamefight', but in this topic i refuse to sway it to there. This is just a civil nagotiation topic.

I remeber posting an addon request for gundam units and came back up with that OFPEC didn't allow sci-fi topics. My question is 'why not?' The world today is growing, if someone post an idea that the military likes and hopes to create then it wouldn't be sci-fi would it? There is many units in todays world that sounds sci-fi too. There is a plane that looks like a bird on-screen, a boat that cuts through water at ripping speed, a craft that floats on air, and a spyplane that is controlled many miles away.

All of the above i know is real, the F/A-22, the RHI Boat, LCAC, and that one thingie that you see on recuitment ads for the air-force. The things today seemed sci-fi yesterday, thats because they seemed impossable.

My simple request is a sci-fi secton of the forums. There we can put together units that todays military can do that is more advanced. But there can be restrictions on units, only what todays military can do. No lasers and spacefighters. thats too sci-fi. To cut down on sci-fi buffs putting a star wars mod news topic, just put the name as 'advaced units' like how the F-35 is advanced compared to the F-14. I also guess that you're thinking that it will take too much time to lock topics from people sneaking starwars news, but i would be obligated to become a moderator in that board due to it being my idea.

That is my request, and i am happy to negotiate or hear civil comments on the subject. if this topic is locked before nagotiations can be made, then I belive this is not what the name says it to be.

I hope you live up to the name Editing Center

PS: Be cool about fire safety

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
Re:Here me out, Admins
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2004, 15:21:56 »
We are an editing center.

If you have an editing question, related to the creation of missions and/or addons you're welcome to ask it here.

We're here to help you with the technical side of creating your addon, we'll tell you how to model, code and texture an addon, and also help out if you want scripts to it.
What we won't do is allow threads discussing sci-fi material.

There's a very important distinction between "Help, I need to know how to make a model for my addon" and "Help, I need to know how to make an X-Wing model", the former question we allow, the latter we don't.

So until you explain how the discussion of various modern technologies fits into the editing center, we'll keep the forum as it is.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Sophion

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2004, 15:37:47 »
I guess the point is to allow other weapons like the XM8 (i think that how it is, but it could be XMS8) to break into OFP that haven't been thought of. New weapons that the millitary can look up to create.

Items like, a gun that can double as a radio, a helmet with a visor that acts as a HUD, things like that. Items that can be acheived with the technology today that we can think of in the forums that i'm suggesting. and create them so we can test if its beter or not, to improve the weapons.

what i'm saying is a more of a reasearch board. something to try in OFP that we can create in real life (but i strongly recomend you don't). A board to create a soldier of tomarrow

djackl

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2004, 16:47:25 »
Would it be something like the 'Addon Ideas' board in that people would be discussing ideas about possible 'future-tech' addons, why not just make a 'future-tech Addon Ideas' board?

Sophion

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2004, 21:36:44 »
mostly, but the name of the board i suggested was "Advanced Units", but i guess it can be "Future-Tech Addon Ideas" (a little more typing).

I was thinking addons like a new-style weapons that the idea can be tested. As in this picture below, a new armor-type unit that can double as a mortar position and is crewed by two men. Passengers can be in the bed, along with radios, mortars, or mabe a machine gun tripod.

But this is not just the only units that can be tested. Others can include improvements of Gundams (yes inprovements, there is no reason for a humanoid looking object). but only units that are requested for break-throughs, not for pleasure (like a weird walking mech). 'Suits' can be an addon worth requesting (like Metriod, armor) too

pictures hosted by Imageshack.com (TM)

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2004, 08:35:10 »
Very basically, if you allow sci-fi topics where can you then draw the line as to what's acceptable?
You can't, sci-fi by it's very nature is not limited to fact or reason in it's machinations. And that's a dangerous & disruptive road for a forum like OFPEC that has a specific focus.
And that's only one reason of many...

The policy we have doesn't exist in a vacuum. All the staff have debated this significantly on a few occasions now, and the current policy has remained as it is through all of those.

As for the rest of your post, KTottE summed it up best:
We are an editing center.

If you have an editing question, related to the creation of missions and/or addons you're welcome to ask it here.

We're here to help you with the technical side of creating your addon, we'll tell you how to model, code and texture an addon, and also help out if you want scripts to it.
What we won't do is allow threads discussing sci-fi material.

There's a very important distinction between "Help, I need to know how to make a model for my addon" and "Help, I need to know how to make an X-Wing model", the former question we allow, the latter we don't.

So until you explain how the discussion of various modern technologies fits into the editing center, we'll keep the forum as it is.

So we allow editing questions, we just don't allow the discussion/debate of sci-fi addons.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2004, 08:36:19 by Noon416 »
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Sophion

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2004, 22:29:50 »
I guess the point is to allow other weapons ...  to break into OFP that haven't been thought of. New weapons that the millitary can look up to create.

... Items that can be acheived with the technology today that ... and create them so we can test if its beter or not, to improve the weapons.

That will be the line of wich cannot be crossed.

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2004, 22:42:21 »
New weapons that the millitary can look up to create.
This part of your quote would refer as easily to sci-fi as anything else.
The military can look up star-killing technologies to create, which is complete sci-fi at this point but falls into the category your quote defines.

Items that can be acheived with the technology today
This is why we have Addon Ideas.

I think you've gotten yourself a little confused in trying to let gundams into the forums while keeping everything else sci-fi out. Unfortunately for your argument, gundams still fall into the sci-fi category.

So while it wasn't your intention, you've inadvertantly agreed with our stance. ;)
No discussion about sci-fi, only discussion about units that currently exist, have existed or are in the process of design/construction using today's technology.

:)

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2004, 12:56:29 »
Its simple sci-fi isn't real. If you want to play a sci-fi game get Mech Man Warrior or whatever its called. Ofpec is a serious site for serious minded people (mostly  :P ).

Sci-fi is total make believe and what's serious about that? Nothing.

Grr I hate Sci-fi.

That's all I have to say about it.
Live long and prosper.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Sophion

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2004, 20:18:22 »
Grr I hate Sci-fi.
this would be a nagotiaton thread, not a 'i hate' thread. i stated that on the first post, so please refrain from negitive comments

In my eyes, gundams can be acheived by the tech today. the military doesn't do it because

1 ) A tank that stands is sure to fall
2 ) The rescoures to make a mech unit is too titanic to spend
3 ) A huge walking metal tank is a big target

that is why the military doesn't make them. This is why i said 'improve' to make better than a big target

The main reason for me to suggest a 'advanced units' board is to seperate units now from tomorrow.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2004, 20:52:36 »
I think you'll find that:

Grr I hate Sci-fi.

and:

Live long and prosper.

Says a lot for the seriousness of the negative comment......as you put it.

The simple fact is you can make any sci-fi addon you wish.
If you are needing help with any problems arising with scripting, modelling, or mission making for your sci-fi project it is easy enough to ask for this help on OFPEC.

You can ask for this help here, but you cannot discuss sci-fi itself.

Seems reasonable to me

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Sophion

« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2004, 21:20:19 »
*looks at Planck's personal text*
*laughing in the background*

we'll... do you consider the "M04" as described above under sci-fi (starwars type) ???

This is just what i'm asking for... for an organized way, put a 'advanced units' board so people can think of better units or improve units in exsistance.

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
  • Llama, it's what's for dinner.
« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2004, 22:24:45 »
dude that was un-called for

here's my take on the subject:
if you were to ask for something like the M04, you probably won't have any problems, that is a reasonable request, whereas Gundams obviously aren't. Basically, if you have realistic requests (for the technology we have), it can pass, but when you get into things that won't ever be built (in this time period), like Gundams, forcefields,aliens, then you have a problem.

I've noticed a large change in what you have been saying throughout this thread also:
OFPEC didn't allow sci-fi topics. My question is 'why not?'
My simple request is a sci-fi secton of the forums.
ok, defiitely sci-fi

Items like, a gun that can double as a radio, a helmet with a visor that acts as a HUD, things like that. Items that can be acheived with the technology today that we can think of in the forums that i'm suggesting. and create them so we can test if its beter or not, to improve the weapons.
what i'm saying is a more of a reasearch board.
uh... where's the sci-fi?

mostly, but the name of the board i suggested was "Advanced Units",
another change there...

The main reason for me to suggest a 'advanced units' board is to seperate units now from tomorrow.
a little sci-fi there...

This is just what i'm asking for... for an organized way, put a 'advanced units' board so people can think of better units or improve units in exsistance.
wait, what was the point of this thread?

as you can see, your definition of the board has changed a lot, and you are starting to make it the same as the addon ideas board

one more thing....
and might have ended in a 'flamefight'
This is just a civil nagotiation topic.

if that isn't flamefighting...well, i don't know what is
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2004, 22:25:42 by Triggerhappy »

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2004, 22:27:21 »
Sophion-Black,

We've explained why we don't allow sci-fi.
We've explained why your idea isn't one we'll be implementing, as we simply don't need to.
We've all pointed out that you can still ask editing questions, you just can't discuss the sci-fi units themselves.

From my perspective, this all just seems a specific (and mildly selfish) crusade to allow gundams into the forums. As I've stated before and despite your thinking, they are indeed sci-fi units as they are still beyond the realm of current or even 'near-future' technology (look up Asimo and co. for an understanding on where bipedal vehicles are currently).

There seems to be nothing more we can do to get the point across...
So I'm going to lock this as it's gone far enough to answer all your questions/points to date.
If you feel you need to talk about this further, IM me privately.

*Locked*