Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: What if OFP-2 is crap?  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
What if OFP-2 is crap?
« on: 01 Dec 2004, 17:01:02 »

:o it just struck me: what if OFP2 ends up crappy? (p.s. from editing aspects only)  :-X

what will happen to this site, will we all stick to OFP-1 'till some other game pick up the torch???

...omg, what will happen to us all? :noo: :joystick: :help: ( ;D )

nah, I just wondered... yanno, it COULD happen, we've seen it before with other games! wtf should the ofp comm. do?

scary thought!!!

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:What if OFP-2 is crap?
« Reply #1 on: 01 Dec 2004, 17:02:40 »
We'll string the Spanel brothers between 4 horses. ;D

Editing wise, it won't be crap. Look what the community has done for OFP. Spoiling that would be more than stupid.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Lean Bear

« Reply #2 on: 01 Dec 2004, 21:57:33 »
I hear BIS are gonna try and keep the editing side as simple as possible and release tools (eg. TexView, smaple O2 models, configs etc.) to help us adapt.

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #3 on: 01 Dec 2004, 22:11:56 »
If you're keen to know more or ask that question at BIS's face, go to BIS OFP2 forum boards. They have roughly 931 topics there, so knock yourself out.

Personally, I'm looking forward to OFP2 but if it would be delayed with two years or just utterly crap, I'd keep myseld occupied with OFP1. No problem there. Plenty to learn and explore in OFP1 still.. I haven't eaven touched the addon editing side of it.  ;)

/edit
Oh almost forgot to mention, Lean Bear, your signature pic/flash is to big it's not even cool anymore  ;D
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2004, 22:13:51 by Artak »
Not all is lost.

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #4 on: 02 Dec 2004, 00:47:31 »
well im sure editing wise it cant be crap because even if they dont release a mission editor for it, one of the talented people here will make an unofficial mission editor.
but it can still be crap non editing wise

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #5 on: 03 Dec 2004, 06:45:33 »
I've had this nightmare.

My brother says that any new game has to be better than the last game he played of that genre.

There have been some pretty good looking games come out recently so Flashpoint 2 is gonna have to be something very special.

My view is that even if they just updated the graphics, I'd buy it. As for gameplay and editing. Its all good.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #6 on: 03 Dec 2004, 11:04:25 »
My brother says that any new game has to be better than the last game he played of that genre.

I've experienced counterexamples, so don't bet on it.

Anyway, as I've always said, there's only a 75% chance of OFP2 appearing at all, so I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about it.

But as Artak said, if you want to know about OFP2 head over to the boards at the official forums.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline ACF

• Members
  • Llama?? Ain't that French for tanks?
« Reply #7 on: 03 Dec 2004, 12:10:56 »
Details are a bit fuzzy but I broadly remember:

Comanche: helicopter flight sim that you can actually fly, decent (for it's time) terrain that you can actually fly nap-of-the-earth in and benefit from such tactics.

Comanche 2 & 3: pretty much more of the same with spankier graphics.

Comanche 4: hold on, this is more like an arcade game now - I want to fly low and slow, too old for quick reactions.  Yuk!

Then, of course, there's the Doom III situation where the game becomes all-but-unplayable on average machines.

The only way editing can be made simpler to any great extent is to not have such powerful editing functions.  We wouldn't want that.  OFP is perhaps unusual in that Joe public gets a peek at what it actually takes to make a game like this work. If editing was simple (i.e. restricted) interest in the game probably would have withered a long time ago.

I hope BIS keep their feet on the ground and don't try to change the nature of the beast we have. There will be a marketing temptation to cash in on SF and graphical gorgeousness but, please, not at the expense of the things other games don't do.

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 03 Dec 2004, 14:15:09 »
As suggested, go onto the official forums if you want to discuss OFP 2.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"