Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: A good US AT missile  (Read 1691 times)

klavan

A good US AT missile
« on: 29 Nov 2004, 22:41:25 »
Hi all.
I'm currently editing a campaign wich requires some addons. The problem is that I don't want to add another (eg. DG Naval Infantry - 40MB) only for the need of a Javelin to replace the Carl Gustav. JAM2 and BAS Delta/Ranger are good for all the infantry weapons....exept for the Carl Gustav.....
Thanks in advance for any help.  

Offline SEAL84

• Members
  • Always lurking
Re:A good US AT missile
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2004, 02:31:17 »
Really the only two ATGMs in the US arsenal are the Javelin and the older M-47 Dragon...you can find them both in the Combat! M-2 Bradley pack.  

However, you can't get either of them standalone, which sucks.  There is at least one *very* old attempt at a Javelin, but IIRC it's just a reskin of the Russian AT4 that behaves sorta like a Javelin - not worth it.

The Bradley pack download is 20mb, but the Brads are *extremely* well done...you not only get both the Dragon and the Javelin, but some great Brads, which I'm sure you could find *some* use for ;)

*edit*  Though I remind you that the AI has problems with both missiles....AI with Javelins always blow themselves up.  AI with Dragons blow themselves up a lot less, but they still do sometimes and it's the older of the two missiles.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2004, 02:34:17 by SEAL84 »

havocsquad

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2004, 15:47:00 »
Hey all,

Use the current version of the CBT_Misc.pbo from the "COMBAT" addons, this will allow you to just load the infantry AT weapons instead of having to load all of the "COMBAT" addons just to use it.

Just put this file into whatever area you wish to put it, either in the Res Addons folder or I suggest in a seperate mod folder.  Just make sure you put it where it gets loaded with whatever addons for your campaign.

The Dragon ATGM is highly recommended for SP mission use, it is AI friendly (mostly) and the AI will definitely attack armor with it.  The Javelin ATGM can only be used by the player and must be highly superelevated to prevent the missile from killing you upon launch.

Let me know if this helps.

Later,

Havoc.

klavan

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2004, 18:34:23 »
The Dragoon seem OK.
I've tried putting the AI crew and the targets at various altitudes and after all works quite fine. In a few cases the crew blowed up (I think that sometimes excessive realism ruin the spirit of the game....), but I'll try in the mission I'm currently editing.
Thanks to all you guys.

havocsquad

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2004, 19:44:52 »
It's a good idea to make your soldiers equiped with Dragon ATGM's to Hold Fire until you find the armored target you want the unit to attack, left click to order him to attack and he will attack it without choosing of his own free will which target to attack.  (This way you can eliminate the most important or dangerous targets/threats first)  It also allows you to keep from the ATGM crews from attacking the same target multiple times at once, which can quickly waste badly needed AT ammo.

You should also position your AT teams in areas spread apart behind cover and in areas where the missile won't turn into the ground and kill the launcher or other friendly soldiers.

Hey Seal84, love your Avatar of the F-15E Strike Eagle.   My favorite aircraft, excellent for missions deep behind enemy lines, its still the best multi-role capable aircraft currently, though other U.S. aircraft come very close to it.

klavan

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2004, 20:30:45 »
The "problem" is that in the this mission multiple AI squads are involved. The Dragoons are assigned to Company-level support squads: the player doesn't directly or indirectly control the weapons unless the owner of these dies and the player take the weapon using it himself or assigning it to a squadmate.
However I'll test it and then decide.
Thanks.

DiFool

« Reply #6 on: 09 Dec 2004, 09:29:38 »
I also had a problem with Ais using At weapons.
In my case it's been with the RPG7v from ICP/ORCS.
They aimed much too low.
Perhaps that's what with your AIs happens, too.
I altered the weapon config as following:

distancezoommax= 200;
distancezoommin= 200;
thrust=1000;

Just see if it helps or not!

Offline SEAL84

• Members
  • Always lurking
« Reply #7 on: 09 Dec 2004, 23:04:10 »
I also had a problem with Ais using At weapons.
In my case it's been with the RPG7v from ICP/ORCS.
They aimed much too low.
Perhaps that's what with your AIs happens, too.
I altered the weapon config as following:

distancezoommax= 200;
distancezoommin= 200;
thrust=1000;

Just see if it helps or not!

The "problem" with the Javelin is that it's a soft-launch missile - it's forced out of the tube at low velocity and then the rocket ignites and it accelerates up in a curved top-attack course.  This means that you need to look above the target - I usually lock the target with the optics view, then go back to regular first-person view and center the target in the red optics on the model itself.  If you aim normally, the missile slams into the ground before it reaches full thrust.  Messing with the launch thrust values (which I've done once) destroys that top-attack trajectory and basically makes it not a Javelin anymore.

The Dragon has a low launch velocity, but it's nowhere near as low as the Javelin - it tends to hug the ground pretty closely in flight, but it is a regular old straight-line missile.  As we've said, the AI can use the Dragon without problems the vast majority of the time, so for the AI, it's really the only choice.

DiFool

« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2004, 08:23:31 »
The "problem" with the Javelin is that it's a soft-launch missile - it's forced out of the tube at low velocity and then the rocket ignites and it accelerates up in a curved top-attack course.  This means that you need to look above the target - I usually lock the target with the optics view, then go back to regular first-person view and center the target in the red optics on the model itself.  If you aim normally, the missile slams into the ground before it reaches full thrust.  Messing with the launch thrust values (which I've done once) destroys that top-attack trajectory and basically makes it not a Javelin anymore.

The Dragon has a low launch velocity, but it's nowhere near as low as the Javelin - it tends to hug the ground pretty closely in flight, but it is a regular old straight-line missile.  As we've said, the AI can use the Dragon without problems the vast majority of the time, so for the AI, it's really the only choice.

I see your point SEAL84.
If you don't need the Javelin for use with AIs, if you got other neat ATs, just use them.

Back to the distancezoom values: I found out that a value of higher than 100 makes the weapon aim higher than you're really aiming. That means that you have to use your weapon sight in an other way then before. Try 200 e.g..
Perhaps you can get a compromise between player and AI using that weapon.