Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Please a lil help with fairly simple Trigger Condition Script here/Rating  (Read 5489 times)

Mr.Pibb

Hi,

Spent a very long time tryin to get this darn script to work, and seems like I might just be mixing up or missing something in the Condition box for the Trigger.
 What I am trying to get is simple- I want the trigger to activate when a Westie is in the proximity and his Rating has dropped below -2000, and lastly an or statement followed by a variable- "BadFactionTownX" that was assigned to the player if they already tripped this trigger before.

Heres the 2 Condition script variations I have tried, the last part (or) badfactiontown variable im not even concerned with right now,I can get that working from script file

Condition: this && rating player < -2000 && player == thislist

Error: this && rating player < -2000 && player == thislist |#|'.Error ==:Type Array, expected Number, String, Object, Side, Group

Condition: this && rating thislist < -2000

Error: this && rating thislist <|#| -2000': Error rating: Type Array, expected Object

Now I have tried using just- this && rating player < -2000 -and no errors, but this mission will be multiplayer so I think this script would refer to any player that had less -2000 rating, I need to reference the player that tripped the trigger.

If any of U experienced guys out there could help me here it would be great, right now I have to put this part off until I can get a solution.

Thanks

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
does grouping him to the trigger work?

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
first off, mate:
this && rating player < -2000 && player == thislist
player == thislist is an invalid statement. it makes no sense, not to be offensive. What you ment is player in thislist. now there's an easier way to do this.

if u want any west man to set off the trigger, go to the box up above that would currently have "None" in it. Click on it and set it to West. That will make it set off for any west present.

if u want the player to set off the trigger. Select the "Group" tool(F2) and group the trigger to the player. Sounds wierd, but automatically you will get different options leave as is. "Vehicle" will do nicely.

But remember to remove the player == thislist in both cases.  :P Make any sense?  :-\
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Mr.Pibb

Makes perfect sense Tyger, the west present was set:)- problem here is that indeed I need Any west unit to trigger it- And to be able to check the player that tripped the Trigger for low rating score.

If I do as you say and group just one player to the Trigger, then I would have to make 9 triggers for each town to cover everyone :( lol, so let me ask you, can I group more than one player to a Trigger or can I some how get the player that tripped the Trigger(Trigger set to west present)- within the Condition feild?

Thanks very very much for some help here, already feeling better about this :)

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
Is this for Multiplayer? If it is it will unmuddle my mind.  ;)
I think ur asking how to find out what player tripped the trigger, correct, mate?
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
well, i think i understand what ur say. and yes it looks like multiplayer.
Okay, going back to ur player == thislist, try replacing it with player == [thislist select 0]. That might work. Else, you'll probably have to make 9 triggers, but all you have to do for that is copy and paste.  :)

Mr.Pibb

Sorry, but I dont want to be confusing, let me just simply put down here what I need and what I have to make it easy to see :)

There are 9 West players

Trigger

Axis a = 700
 Axis b = 700

Activation = West Presesnt

Type None

Condition: this <--(part of the trigger must be any West)
                   &&
                   rating player < -2000  <--(this must get the rating of the Player(s) that trip the Activation)

And I just tried the player thislist rather than == in the condition field and the editor returned an error!
 So I just need to get a reference for the guy(s) that trip the Activation so I can check their rating then.

Long story short, when a player is within the proximity of the Trigger, If his Rating is less than -2000- Bam! Trigger Executes a Script for that player. :)

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
try && (player in thislist) or player == (thislist select 0). One of those should work, mainly the first.

Mr.Pibb

Sorry Tyger, got that last post in after U responded, ya, its MP ;)

Let me try that stuff u suggested and Ill post results,

Thanks

Kammak

Untested but I think will do what you want:

"(_x == player) && (rating _x < -2000)" count thislist  > 0

Mr.Pibb

@Tyger

Ok

both of the scripts do pass as u wrote them, but they wont work with directly with Rating command as Player references :(.

This is the best I could do without errors:

this && player == (thislist select 0) && rating player < -2000

Can you tell me Tyger, does the "player == (thislist select 0)" denote "player" as the guy who activated the trigger so when "rating player" occurs it only checks that player? or does "rating player" still check all the players anyhow-

Seems Rating command only works with a variable name.

Quite a mess for my first MP mission eh? lol

Are the Triggers alike the groups, only allowed 60 some do u know?(9 per town would equal like 150 triggers  :-X

Really appreciate the interest and help, at least if it dosent work now I now its cause it cant work. :)

« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2004, 22:53:13 by Mr.Pibb »

Mr.Pibb

Thanks Kammak,

Will try it- u guys respond too fast, every time I come back and type a response after testing someone puts up a post while im typing lol

Mr.Pibb

Good news and Bad news

Bad news is after trying all the different Condition Scripts, not one activated the trigger. Only thing that worked was the simple "this && rating player < -2000" A lot too tired right now to try to remember what the actual problems seemed to be, but Im pretty sure everything was set right and the scripts just wouldnt respond.
 Good news is that it seems theres no obvious limit to how many triggers I can put down, soooo- I just threw down 120 of em  ::) lol. 9 for each town, one for each player at each town and I hopefully can make 2 extra 'initiator' triggers per town that turn on and off all 9 of that towns player triggers depending on if there are west present in a slightly larger proximity around the others.
 Then theres the discovery of running over freindlies and not gettin the rating knocked down for doin it, got a fix for that too, but  thats another story.....

Thanks for the help all ya, and for the quick responses too, nice to see people willing to get a lil interested in others difficulties on this forum.

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
Hmm... I wouldn't recommend having that many triggers.

It has the potential to REALLY make your mission grind to a halt.

Kammack had the right idea... I'd suggest a variation on that:

Condition: West Present (repeatedly)
Condition Field: "rating _x < (-2000)" count thislist > 0

Just note, make sure the west present condition is set up properly. Otherwise the trigger won't 'see' when west units enter it ;)

Mr.Pibb

Thanks Sui

Too late now to try that, will try it tommorow but I can say indeed all of the conditions were right for the other scripts suggested to work, I think getting the actual player was failing each time- as soon as I switched to the simple form as I described it worked a snap, and yea, that many triggers does concern me lol, just kinda ran outta steam on the standby method.God I hope this is the hardest part of my mission :o

Ill post results tommorow on that Sui, if the townies hate me and seventh Decide is playing in the background, it worked :), if not my computer takes a 2 story fall out my window lol

Thanks again