Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: realistic crater addon  (Read 2700 times)

bored_onion

realistic crater addon
« on: 06 Nov 2004, 17:11:06 »
i was wondering if there is an addon to create realistic craters and marks on the ground that you could even climb in and take cover in

i know the ECP mod did loads of cool effects like that

i think it would be cool if also the ground chucked up huge chunks of mud when a shell hit it

are there any such addons and if not is it possible?

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:realistic crater addon
« Reply #1 on: 06 Nov 2004, 19:02:31 »
Craters are not possible. Huge chunks of mud is. Problems:

1) Cause lag
2) OFPs physichs makes em act weird
3) It'll look silly cause theres no crater.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #2 on: 06 Nov 2004, 20:41:28 »
Why are craters not possible?
can u not make a hole in the ground?

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #3 on: 06 Nov 2004, 20:49:33 »
No.

('Ave it Macca! ;D )

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #4 on: 06 Nov 2004, 23:47:28 »
You can't make a hole in the ground, but nothing says you can't make things that go above the ground. Basically, you could have a crater, where the very bottom is at the ground level, and the walls are above ground. Craters do that somewhat anyway.

Just look at a "trench" addon, or that tank-ditch addon, and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

This is a good idea though, and i would love to see done by someone who can use O2. I'd be curious to see if we could replace the flat OFP craters with this kind.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

bored_onion

« Reply #5 on: 06 Nov 2004, 23:57:00 »
yeah, general barron that would be my thinking

the thing might be getting it to appear whenever a shell hit it

Offline Colonel_Klink

• Members
  • Independent Addon Creator
    • DC3D Game Modelling Zone
« Reply #6 on: 07 Nov 2004, 03:28:13 »
You can't make a hole in the ground, but nothing says you can't make things that go above the ground. Basically, you could have a crater, where the very bottom is at the ground level, and the walls are above ground. Craters do that somewhat anyway.

Just look at a "trench" addon, or that tank-ditch addon, and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

This is a good idea though, and i would love to see done by someone who can use O2. I'd be curious to see if we could replace the flat OFP craters with this kind.

General, My Huey Down addon has a crater that conforms to the ground. The crater itself is one of several that I made as an addon for the falklands mod. Still a bit of work to do on them, like getting them to appear when a shell hits the ground. once that is overcome a version will be released to the community.
They can also be set to have burning and hot embers effect.

Download page:http://www.dc3d.co.nz/Utopia/hueydown/Readme.htm
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2004, 03:31:06 by Colonel_Klink »
Rebel without a pause...D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

bored_onion

« Reply #7 on: 07 Nov 2004, 08:30:26 »
thats what I'm talking about klink! nice one - can't wait

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #8 on: 08 Nov 2004, 01:14:13 »
Looks great! Only thing I'd suggest is to lower the center of the crater a bit more, so it almost touches the ground. That way the player could crouch and be somewhat covered, or could lay down in the middle and be completely covered. On the superficial side, it would likely look better if you had some "flat" texture extending a bit beyond where the crater touches the ground... that way it isn't such a sudden difference between grass and then a lump of dirt. I could say that better, but I hope you get me. :)
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline Colonel_Klink

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 08 Nov 2004, 02:12:25 »
Looks great! Only thing I'd suggest is to lower the center of the crater a bit more, so it almost touches the ground. That way the player could crouch and be somewhat covered, or could lay down in the middle and be completely covered. On the superficial side, it would likely look better if you had some "flat" texture extending a bit beyond where the crater touches the ground... that way it isn't such a sudden difference between grass and then a lump of dirt. I could say that better, but I hope you get me. :)

Yep I got what you mean. The ones I have outside the huey pack have a bit more depth so this allows the player to use them for cover.
The problem with the craters is blending, getting the different terrain types to blend is a problem, one way to over come that I guess would be to have several types that are used on different islands, however the coding for that would be beyond my small brain scope :)

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #10 on: 08 Nov 2004, 02:56:04 »
The problem with the craters is blending, getting the different terrain types to blend is a problem

What about having a "flat" part of the crater, just outside the current edge? Basically like the current craters, how they are just flat on the ground... you could have some "flat" texture that extends past the radius of the 3d crater. It might kinda look like loose dirt scattered on the ground. As is, I think it looks a little strange how the edges of the crater just just straight out of the grass/whatever. Part of that texture could be transparent, so you have spots of the normal ground showing through. Towards the very outer radius it could be mostly transparent, so there are only a few spots of dirt here and there. Don't know if it would work or not though. You're expert, I'm just throwing out ideas. :)

Offline Colonel_Klink

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 08 Nov 2004, 03:38:27 »
It might kinda look like loose dirt scattered on the ground. As is, I think it looks a little strange how the edges of the crater just just straight out of the grass/whatever. Part of that texture could be transparent, so you have spots of the normal ground showing through. Towards the very outer radius it could be mostly transparent, so there are only a few spots of dirt here and there. Don't know if it would work or not though.
Yep worth looking into. The craters were done in a hurry yonks ago, so I'll dig (pun) them out and see what kind of mess (lol another pun) I can make of them.

Coldfire

« Reply #12 on: 08 Nov 2004, 22:29:56 »
Klink, man, enough with the bad puns! your killing me! lol ;) ;D

Seriously though, good luck. Can't wait to see if this works out.  ;D

Offline MattyDienhoff

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2004, 11:02:32 »
Actually i have a crater addon floating around in my addons folder. (see picture) You can take cover in it actually. I forget where i downloaded it though.  :-[
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2004, 11:05:13 by MattyDienhoff »

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
« Reply #14 on: 05 Dec 2004, 11:21:56 »
Damn, that looks good.  :D

If you can find it, tell us.  ;)
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #15 on: 11 Dec 2004, 00:15:20 »
what if the islands editor put holes all over like every 2 feet in the ground the exact specs of a crater. then he makes an addon w/ different textured versions, (grass,snow,dirt) that is completly flat and is designed to cover the crater up.  and then he made the addon come withe the pack and put a demo mission w/ it where all the craters r filled in w/ the addons. then when the mission maker d/l the island when he wants to make a mission on it he just loads the demo mission made by the editor and uses it to make his mission by saving it as somthing else.

that way, when ever and where ever a shell or nade hits it destroys the addon and it disapeers just leaving the hole in the ground. that would make very realistic craters possible. and sombody could even make a program that automaticly puts these holes in the ground and textures them black.
some scripting could also delete the craters when not in view of the player and recreate them when they are in view. to avoid lag

« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2004, 00:16:36 by penguinman »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #16 on: 11 Dec 2004, 00:31:15 »
Hmmmm........the smallest hole you can make in a .wrp terrain is 50m X 50m.

Could be a largish crater maybe.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
  • Llama, it's what's for dinner.
« Reply #17 on: 11 Dec 2004, 01:10:28 »
also, nobody wants to go through placing an object every couple of meters.
would you?

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
« Reply #18 on: 11 Dec 2004, 12:42:00 »
Maybe OFP2 will have real craters  ;)
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB