Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: A long run  (Read 3183 times)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:A long run
« Reply #15 on: 08 Nov 2004, 12:09:06 »
2x works more like 1x than 4x.      4x is very different from 1x, you can even do things like climb over walls and run through fences.     In other words 2x can be used as a proxy for 1x.   4x cannot.   That doesn't mean you can't use it for testing - I use it all the time - but for something like checking whether a convoy works for 24 hours you're doing it the right way.    Sod the family, you paid for the bloody computer, right?   ;D

I had a lot of this kind of thing when making you know what.   Many of the mysteries I solved, often when not at the computer.    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever is left - however improbable - must be the truth."

If you want such a trigger to stop the player going fast, give him a hint or something so he knows what's happening.  

Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #16 on: 08 Nov 2004, 14:53:38 »
you paid for the bloody computer, right?  
Absolutely right.

Many of the mysteries I solved, often when not at the computer.
It amazes me how often this happens.  It is as if the mind just needs a bit of soak time.  

The problem I have now will take some thinking through though.  I am begining to think it is not possible to do what I am trying.  All I have are 2 patrols ( 2 to 4 vehicles each) and 2 convoys (5 vehicles each)  Ok so the convoys each have 2 infantry patrols that get out at the sign of trouble, and also when they reach a specifc town, they search the town and then get back in.  No soak test has been successful,  but it has never failed in the same way.  Sometimes it is the patrols that get stuck and sometimes the convoys.  Sometimes it is after 18 hours sometimes after 2!!

Bye the way, I have been meaning to mention, your Blacks Ops on motorcycles did better that you think.  They were all together when I took then out and that was after I had visited the civilians, taken out the road block and visited the drop zone, with much travelling on all fours!

give him a hint or something so he knows what's happening
Yes - only polite to do that.  On a similar issue: can I turn cadet mode off for the player as well?

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #17 on: 08 Nov 2004, 15:12:30 »
I still really recommend you do as I told you. You can still simulate it VERY efficient, depending on the detail of your script. You can keep track of the convoys and town searching with variables, booleans and arrays. Very neat and tidy (and reliant, as your problem seems to be), and take like nowhere near the much CPU.

About the problem thingy. Really not my style. If I think about my project beside the computer it's more like the features - so when I actually sits by the computer I need to include even more stuff. ;D

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #18 on: 08 Nov 2004, 16:03:09 »
You can force him to play in cadetmode by detecting cadetmode:
http://www.ofpec.com/editors/comref.php?letter=C#cadetMode

And then use a script to hint that he has to play in veteran and then have a time-delay and after that, end the mission.

I strongly suggest that you allow people to play the mission in cadetmode however, there's a reason they do that you know :)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #19 on: 08 Nov 2004, 16:50:55 »
dmakatra:  I may well end up having to do just that, getting things to work properly is proving very painful.

Bye the way should your new name not be: dmpkatra???

KTottE: Thanks.  I could find how to detect both the game speed and cadet mode.  I could also find the way to re-set the speed, but not cadet mode.  I don't think I would like it if the mission died on me like that so I will leave the mode open - and perhaps just hint to recommend not playing as a cadet.
« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2004, 16:55:30 by THobson »

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #20 on: 08 Nov 2004, 17:05:37 »
You can force him to play in cadetmode by detecting cadetmode:
http://www.ofpec.com/editors/comref.php?letter=C#cadetMode

And then use a script to hint that he has to play in veteran and then have a time-delay and after that, end the mission.

I strongly suggest that you allow people to play the mission in cadetmode however, there's a reason they do that you know :)

Actually, I played in cadet mode first 'cause I was too lazy to change to veteran. Then I started poking at the editor and found out veteran mode was so much better. ;D

You can still script some of the functions that are in Cadet mode and then let the player choose himself which functions to be turned on in a dialog at the mission start.

Why should it be dmpakatra btw? Das Mattesnille Also Known As The Real Armstrong = dmakatra

:beat: *Gets Nicknamed* :beat:

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #21 on: 08 Nov 2004, 17:23:00 »
UnIMpossible has a hint and titletext at the start if you are in Cadet mode.  Given that the start is so hard anyway, it's virtually terminal, or likely to be if you're the kind of person who likes to play in Cadet.    Also you get no waypoints, which is a big reason for playing Cadet.   I did consider making the mission end, but thought what's the point, if somebody wants to play it in Cadet why should I stop them.    The mission designer is trying to create fun after all, not prevent people from having fun.

Glad to hear about the blackop motorbikes.    The guys at the back always seemed to be walking when I found them.

As for the test, your mistake is to run it when you are at work or overnight.   You have to run it while you are there, or at least popping in every few minutes.    Use ECP's specator script so you can see what's going on.      

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #22 on: 08 Nov 2004, 21:38:16 »
I am now convinced it should be dmokatra (look at the text under your dancing banana), but I like the Previously version better.

OK I will leave the cadet capability.

your mistake is to run it when you are at work or overnight
I only have work or overnight!!  Anyway I am trying to get it so the infrastructure on the island will run permanently if needs be.  Based on experience with your UIM means 24 to 48  hours with no failures.

As for spectating - each vehicle has a marker that is repositioned on the map every couple of seconds (this is the most useful),  also every couple of seconds I have player sidechat giving me the status of fuel and damage levels for each vehicle, how many journeys they have done, who has got out of the vehicles, how many times my setPos "ugly" script has run etc. and I am resistance (friendly to all - for the time being) sat next to an empty jeep so I can go and look at any problems in person.  What would ECP give me?

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #23 on: 08 Nov 2004, 22:10:58 »
Lol I just meant you need to put a Saturday or Sunday onto it ... clean the car bonnet, check the mission, clean the windscreen, check the mission etc.  

ECP gives you a camera shot of every unit in the mission.     It would mean that you could see the problem immediately rather than having to drive to it.    

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #24 on: 09 Nov 2004, 07:50:25 »
Interesting.  Thanks.  I will have a look

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #25 on: 23 Dec 2004, 23:51:34 »
An update:

Since I started this thread my computer has been turned off for less than 1/2 an hour while I updated my network.  During all the time it was running I was either editing my mission or running it.  I have had several trips overseas that allowed some exceptional long runs.  All with disastrous results.

Today for the first time my island completed 36+ hours with everything still working at the end.  All the choppers were flying, patrols and convoys running, infantry still searching towns etc.  If I tell you that there are two sides on this island and that both search the same town (and setCaptive true is not used) and that refuelling etc is only done at fuel stations you might see the challenge.

Anyway I cannot imagine a player will take 36 hours to start interacting with the opposition, so I am now ready to start making the mission

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #26 on: 24 Dec 2004, 01:58:40 »
Wow.... now that's dedication. I'll be sure to try this mission when it comes out!
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #27 on: 24 Dec 2004, 07:44:59 »
Thanks.  I am having great fun, and I hope others do too when it is ready.  But don't hold your breath, it while be a while yet

Knowlife

« Reply #28 on: 26 Dec 2004, 19:52:15 »
I have often thought about making the same thing (a little diffrent though), but never got around to. What you're doing sounds really interresting. I'm really looking forward to your mission, best of good vibes to you..! :D
« Last Edit: 03 Jan 2005, 16:27:46 by Knowlife »

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #29 on: 27 Dec 2004, 01:04:53 »
Thanks