Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Release the dogs  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
Release the dogs
« on: 06 Feb 2005, 23:49:32 »
This simple script allows you to release the dogs in your group.
The dogs can find enemies (only humans) within a 500m radius and they will attack, but they are very vulnerable to bullets.
So save them and use the dogs as a guide, you can also call them back.
Big parts of the attackscript were borrowed from the hellhounds from General Barron

USAGE

You'll need 1 trigger (covers the whole map)
ACTIVATION : Enemy side
NAME : enemylist

Run the script like this (eg : in the player's init field)

[name of group] exec "dogs.sqs"
eg : [group this] exec "dogs.sqs"

Things you need to know :

- You have to be the leader of the group or the script will exit.
- Radio is disabled because dogs can only talk in the movies
- The dogs will ungroup when you release them and regroup again when you call them back
- AI can't use it.
- Not tested in MP

Try the test and give me your opinion or advice.
You'll need Teacups animated dog for the test

« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2005, 01:56:19 by Blanco »
Search or search or search before you ask.

Seabiscuit

Re:Release the dogs
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb 2005, 18:39:54 »
Blanco,

Downloaded the demo and tried it last night, but never got it to operate properly.
On my first attempt I received an error from the line:
{if (typeof _x == "TCP_TestDog" && alive _x) then {dogs = dogs + [_x]}} foreach units _group

So I changed the group leader to a higher rank than his loons and named the group explicitly.
When I re-previewed I didn't get the error, but clicking on the 'Release Dogs' action didn't do anything.
Then I go back to the code again and reinspect the line above.
If I'm not mistaken you are expecting the dogs to be in the leaders group and if so then add them to the dogs array?
So...I try grouping the dogs to the leader and re-re-preview....which is when the screen went blank....and OFP crashed to the desktop.
Hmmmm....restart OFP....no good it won't restart.
My only and final option was removing the dogs addon which allowed me to restart...strange...

Anyway, I'll be putting on a fresh copy of OFP tonight and hope to give it another try soon, this would make a lovely enhancement to my patrol scripts, with your permission of course.

SB...

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 07 Feb 2005, 19:07:59 »
Hi,

Thx for trying, but I couldn't find anything wrong here, it works for me and for at least one betatester.

The only thing that I had to change before I released it, was removing an unneeded addon in the mission.sqm.

addOns[]=
   {
      "TestBabe",
      "flah"

I dunno were that "flah" addon come from  >:(

If I'm not mistaken you are expecting the dogs to be in the leaders group and if so then add them to the dogs array?

Correct.
Yes, the rank of the player in the demo is not higher than the other guys in the group but he's the leader. (you can see that already in the editor)
I hope it will work for you after that fresh copy, because it did for another tester.
Maybe there are 2 versions of the dogaddon?

« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2005, 19:11:39 by Blanco »

Seabiscuit

« Reply #3 on: 07 Feb 2005, 19:30:42 »
I downloaded the dog add-on from the link you provided and had never used it until that point.
If there is a specific one I should try then let me know and I'll attempt to get it.
I did notice the player as the leader in the editor but bumped his rank as a troubleshooting step.
From the description it says that the dogs group and ungroup automatically. But, do the dogs have to be part of the leaders group from the start (I haven't looked into the code enough to find out)?
Didn't see any problems with flah, and will retry soon.

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 07 Feb 2005, 23:52:22 »
From the description it says that the dogs group and ungroup automatically. But, do the dogs have to be part of the leaders group from the start

Yes.

I downloaded the dog add-on from the link you provided and had never used it until that point.

I tried it with the dog from the link but it seems it's completly the same file. I thought there was another version that barks, but the one in the mission is the default dog. (the one from the link) :)