Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Navy  (Read 1744 times)

Coldfire

Navy
« on: 19 Sep 2004, 20:34:24 »
Ok, I've been saying this for ages but I think it's time it got a thread to itself, OFP needs a better naval component. Boats are the only craft in OFP that can have multiple turrets, so why not make a big ship with mulltiple big guns? How cool would it be to be able to shell enemy positions from sea? Or have big naval battles? This would go really well with any WW2 mods out there.

Also, would it be possible to merge CoC's artillery system with this?

GI-YO

Re:Navy
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2004, 21:58:37 »
There are scripts in the ed's dept which simulate naval bombardment, and in nearly all cases the ships firing never came close enough to the shore to be seen fully and warrant a whole new addon, encompasing alot of work.

GI-YO

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2004, 22:00:47 »
Any large ships would immediately be sunk by the Everon Cartel's submarine ....
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Matt Walter

« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2004, 23:26:52 »
You don't have to have the submarine involved in any ship missions.  ;)

Coldfire

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2004, 03:33:45 »
You don't have to have the submarine involved in any ship missions.  ;)
Exactly.

As for the naval bombardment thing, I ment would it be possible to combine a large, moving ship with CoC's arty.

Imagine: A mission where you play the commander of a ship, you have to avoid enemy ship trying to sink you while providing arty support for ground troops.

In a big naval fight, CoC's arty would be great, having to calculate distances, using scout hellicopters and planes to find enemy ships, then bombarding them from a distance with your big guns (Or cruise missiles). The key is hwaving it mobile. If it's just a stationary object, then it's just decoritive.

Nulear_Man

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2004, 22:23:57 »
(Or cruise missiles)
use could use the tomahawk missile addon

bigdog632

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2004, 10:03:18 »
naval gun battles pretty much are non existent anymore most of the fights are air to surface or missile attacks

but shore support is a possible use for a battleship

you could make a smaller destroyer if you were gonna use cruise missiles though like the arleigh burke class cruise missile destroyer  

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/ddg-51.htm

it has a massive amount of weapons on its body

and is smaller and more maneuverable than a battleship

Coldfire

« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2004, 23:51:53 »
naval gun battles pretty much are non existent anymore...

Did I not say this would make a good addon for any WW2 mods out there? Last I checked, they had naval gun battles back then...  ;)

bigdog632

« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2004, 14:41:33 »
my apologies...

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2004, 06:19:45 »
I foud a multi turret destroyer it looks good. it also has a flak script its at                                                                                      
http://www.ofp.info/bratty/index.html

Coldfire

« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2004, 16:51:49 »
Thanks for the info.  :)

I also just found a frigate by sigma-6, but I don't think it has multiple guns...  :( oh well.