Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: New OFPEC site Idea  (Read 5415 times)

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
  • Let's make OFPEC great again
    • My Steam Workshop
New OFPEC site Idea
« on: 08 Sep 2004, 16:54:51 »
Okay, as we all know there is a mission editor's depot on this site. I have an idea for people who want to become new mission editors and for people who just want to brush up there skills in mission editing. My idea is kind of like a mission editing school of a training center. Meaning there can still the editors depot on the site, but then there will be a new section on the site that will take you to a training area for mission editing. Now we all know that mission editing for "some" people can be quite difficult.

You would click on this "training section", and you would be able to start fresh in mission editing if your knew, there could be like a main directory, say "mission editing", then you click on that and a bunch more subdirectories pop up, and they give you listing of, units, groups, waypoints, triggers, synchronization and markers. Meaning if you click on one of these sections, it will give you a bunch of new made tutorials, either on JAVA or HTML, and it will give you examples and pictures of exactly how to do pretty much every single little aspect in mission editing. Meaning, say if you click on units, it will give you numerous tutorials on how to use units in example mission, and how to find them in the mission editor and commands and command lines you can type in the initialization fields. Now these tutorials can have animations in them, they can have pictures that show exactly what your doing, any kind of color font.

Now the next section would be the same, it would be "groups" you could click on, and it would give you all different aspects on how to use groups, and give you example missions. Okay were done with just the basic part of mission editing now. Now we get on to the more advanced section you can get into. The next directory as you could call it, will be called "advanced Mission Editing". You click on that, and it will list a bunch of subdirectories below that. Meaning it will have subdirectories on how to use and do command lines for "on activation field" and the "condition" filed, and we will give you example missions on how to do this, and java or HTML tutorials. Now the directory would be called for the "on activation" and the "condition", would be "Advanced Triggers", or some sort like that.
All right, then the next subdirectory for advanced mission editing would be something like "game Logics, and we will give you example mission on how to do this, and tutorials, explaining on how to do everything, now a lot of things that will be in the advanced mission editing are, description ext files, sounds and how to write them out exactly and any new way to do it, and writing out string tables. Okay phew, were still not done with this yet. All right, then the next section after advanced mission editing would be the wonderful world of "Scripting". Now when you were to click on this directory, you could have topics like "basic scripting", "advanced scripting", then the next directory would be "camera scripting" and it would go over all aspects of camera scripting, how to do each command, the basics of it, all that fun stuff.

All right, that pretty much covers a lot of it. Now this idea can be fun also, if we have people come in and do this, and people who are new in mission editing, and people who just want to brush up their skills. Now after say a person has completed reading a section, on "units", we could have a paragraph at the bottom of the tutorial, saying if you would like us to keep track of your progress, please send us an email, and we will give you some mission example to make on how well you know on units. Then, after you have sent us in your example mission, we can examine your mission carefully, and go over and figure out where you at in the "units" section and how well you know it, kind of like a fun "progress report". Then as we all know if they need any help, they can go to the forums, or whatever, or even email people, we could add something like that, for more assistance to them.

This pretty much concludes the end of my idea, I have more ideas, but this is just some of it I would like to put down. If everybody who comes here read carefully and please give me lots of feedback on this idea, I know this sounds difficult to make, and yes we would need to probably recruit more people, but it is very possible. For this we would most likely need to create a bunch of new tutorials on "java" and "HTML" and not use the boring word document, it just doesn't look professional enough. Thanks for everybody's time on reading this and I hope this idea goes far.

Sincerely,

NightJay0044 (Team Leader)

JWMissions Team - http://www.freewebs.com/wilson510/index.htm

Who's hyped for Arma4, long live Arma!

Bluelikeu

Re:New OFPEC site Idea
« Reply #1 on: 08 Sep 2004, 19:02:40 »
Aha, this is just what we needed. :o
Organized,
Thourough information

with this idea, people will be able to learn faster and quicker. i go with a thumbs up for this one :D

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid
« Reply #2 on: 08 Sep 2004, 19:09:37 »
Hmm I have an even better idea, something like an editing class on IRC, this way it will even be interactive :D

staff also check here
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2004, 19:21:15 by MachoMan »
Get those missions out there you morons!

Jake Trans

« Reply #3 on: 08 Sep 2004, 19:39:55 »
I think this is a great idea but I Don't like the idea of it being interactive.  I prefer to download\copy and paste a text document with a lot of pics mainly because I prefer to do things at my own pace.  interactive would work it's just the fact my connections slow.

But I'm just thinking of me, but I like the idea

Bluelikeu

« Reply #4 on: 08 Sep 2004, 19:45:47 »
I think it would be good to have both.
Depending on what type of people want to learn. Do they learn better with interactivity? Or, without?

good stuff

djackl

« Reply #5 on: 08 Sep 2004, 19:56:41 »
Well, you could have the editing school for people to download from, and an irc channel for people who need extra help in a certain area.

1shottokill

« Reply #6 on: 08 Sep 2004, 20:19:46 »
 :thumbsup: brilliant idea, nightjay. not one to boast but he told me about this before it waswas posted so i had some inkling of what it was but this is great!

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #7 on: 08 Sep 2004, 20:51:48 »
Hey everyone thanks for your replies, keep them coming. Yes an interactive section would work for chatting, but that can be seperate. Because yes some people might not have as fast of an internet connection. So they would be able to choose, but the interactive part might not come in, because they already have the forums and editors depot, so we might not need that. Okay keep all comments and help coming please, thanks everyone!  ;D

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #8 on: 08 Sep 2004, 21:19:51 »
Well.... all of the information you are asking for is already on the site. It just isn't as organized as you are suggesting, because its scattered in a bunch of tutorials written by different people. The closest thing to what you are suggesting is this resource here:

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=118

On the one hand, one organized tutorial designed to start people into mission making would be nice, but on the other hand, all the info is already here. So I think the best way to do it would be to make a guide like the one linked above, only make it a little more detailed.

EDIT
Oh yeah there is this one too:
http://www.ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=67

EDIT #2
I just looked at this guide, and it is a very good tutorial that basically covers everything in the way you wanted it to. This is a very good tutorial here:
http://www.ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=23
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2004, 21:31:42 by General Barron »
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #9 on: 08 Sep 2004, 21:33:35 »
GEN BARRON~
Hey, thanks for your reply too, I had a feeling I'de be getting replies back like this. All right, yes I "know" there are already stuff on this site, but this way it will be well more ograinzed, and more up-to-date all the way up to version 1.96. Maybe you could read it again. Also, it would have only "HTML" tutorials or java, using animations, and using pictures, and not the unproffessional word documents. It would be better put into words, and all the aspects.  Maybe it could even replace the whole editors depot section on this site, but for now that's what I would think would be "Great" for this site is if we had something like this on here.  

Another thing like i said about the progress repots, people could email us and we could email them back with mission to make and see how well they know it, and then send them back reports on how well they are doing, there could be so many more ideas about this project, it could be endless. Keep the comments coming, negative and position, thanks everyone.

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #10 on: 08 Sep 2004, 21:41:44 »
GEN BARRON~
Also about your guide idea, and making it more detailed, yes we could but it would be pointless, we mine as well make the whole new training idea.

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #11 on: 08 Sep 2004, 21:54:48 »
I've got a great idea. NightJay0044, you build a site with only interactive tutorials like that and we'll definitely make you OFPEC's affiliate.
I'm suggesting this because in a matter of hours Noon walks in and he'll say something like "good idea, but.. at the moment.. not enough resources.. OFP2.. at the end of the day..". I might be wrong but I've got a strong butt-feeling about it   ;D
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2004, 21:55:03 by Artak »
Not all is lost.

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid
« Reply #12 on: 08 Sep 2004, 21:59:31 »
We all know what u mean Artrak  ;D

But we can sure as hell keep dreemin ;)
Get those missions out there you morons!

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #13 on: 08 Sep 2004, 22:06:10 »
Artak~
That idea is taken into the pack, but I'm still really wanting to try to see if I can get it made on here because a lot of people come here for resources.

Machoman~
yes we all can dream, lol, glad you know what I mean, but it's very possible...

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #14 on: 08 Sep 2004, 22:37:38 »
OFPEC - by the community, for the community.

Good idea, Nightjay, go for it.    I suggest you make the first couple of tutorials.    Once we have a working example of the interactivity it will be much easier to decide whether/ how it can be fitted in to the existing Ed Depot.

Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #15 on: 08 Sep 2004, 23:11:00 »
MacGuba~
Thank you very much for your approval. Not a problem about making the first couple of tutorials. Then I can design them how exactly I want them to be and I'll probably need some help, with HTML and java if java has to be used. Also, it doesn't have to override the existing editors section. It can be a completely new section. Also, I think I'm going to try and recruit some people in the recruitment depot for some help. I don't know a deadline on when I'll get you the first 2 tutorials on this, but the first tutorial is going to be introducing mission editing, and then the 2nd one will be introducing "units". And how to use them, this will be a great resource for this site, thanks again, I'll get to work on it, and any more comments or ideas are still being accepted.

HOBOMAN

« Reply #16 on: 09 Sep 2004, 04:16:26 »
nice idea

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #17 on: 09 Sep 2004, 11:30:48 »
I believe this is where I'm supposed to say good idea, but.. at the moment.. not enough resources.. OFP2.. at the end of the day..
;)

If you can get the first couple of tutorials done, we can then see how it will all fit together and what needs doing.
Until then, it's a little hard to estimate the workload required, so I won't pass judgement till then.
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2004, 11:31:31 by Noon416 »
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #18 on: 09 Sep 2004, 14:02:03 »
Noon~
Okay, yeah I'll get the first couple under way. I can't say an estimate time on how long it will take. Thanks you guys for your persmission again. Now to sort out some confusing.

Some people have said they "dont like the interactive part". As in the progress reports about us emailing you on your progress and things, and sending you missions to make to see how far you are. It's actually not required, it would be "YOUR" choice if you want to keep track of your progresss, other wise, you don't have to bother with it. Hope we got that clear.

veston pants

« Reply #19 on: 09 Sep 2004, 14:57:08 »
Now we all know that mission editing for "some" people can be quite difficult.
LOL, you can say that again.
Mission building for me has become a pain in the areosol, havin so many ideas for missions but bein unable to realise them with my limited editing skills is a bummer.
I hope your ideas pay off coz at the mo' I'm treadin water with the mission building thingywotsit. :P
Failin that, a place here at OFPEC where you can put your ideas forward for the experts to have a go at realising your ideas, whilst saving you your sanity.

Good luck dude 8)

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #20 on: 09 Sep 2004, 23:03:41 »
Failin that, a place here at OFPEC where you can put your ideas forward for the experts to have a go at realising your ideas, whilst saving you your sanity.

Mission Ideas Board
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

veston pants

« Reply #21 on: 10 Sep 2004, 16:32:39 »
Ow do Mr. GB.
I was wondering if you could possibly do me a really big favour?
I'm havin trouble with adding soundfiles to my intro.
I've read bloodmixers tute and pophuredoffs tute, followed them pretty much to the letter. I've got all the soundfiles I need, renamed and put through the wav 2 lip converter and the ogg files in the sound folder, I've done the description.ext aswell but the darn thing still won't have a go.
Is it possible to upload an intro to the mission beta board so you could take a look and see what I'm dong wrong?
I really need to get this thing to work.
Any help would be muchly appreciated. :)

Thanks.

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #22 on: 10 Sep 2004, 16:39:31 »
I was wondering if you could possibly do me a really big favour?

General Barron's Box of Wishes  ;)
Not all is lost.

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #23 on: 10 Sep 2004, 16:56:08 »
Haha, you're evil ;D
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #24 on: 10 Sep 2004, 19:22:10 »
General Barron's Box of Wishes  

Lol....

@veston pants
Just make a post over on the sound&cutscenes forum. You should get an answer pretty quick. If not, I'll be back on Sunday. I'm not the only one who can help you around here, you know  ;).

veston pants

« Reply #25 on: 12 Sep 2004, 16:24:30 »
Can sumone plz help.

Im only 6.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #26 on: 12 Sep 2004, 19:50:43 »
Hmmmmmmm..........6 what?

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

veston pants

« Reply #27 on: 14 Sep 2004, 21:15:00 »
Ow do Planck

Hows it goin fella?

Alls well I hope.

Offline shinraiden

• Members
  • kiite, mite, katta
« Reply #28 on: 17 Sep 2004, 01:14:17 »
Could you post a detailed outline of the topics at hand?

While a lot of stuff has been posted before, generally it has been scattered stickynote stuff, not comprehensive manual stuff. Half the so-called uber-manual is only screendumps from here anyways.

One of the problems you will run into is OFP itself. There are so many ways to do something, that you are going to have to abstract quite aways back.

Instead of sections like

How to setpos a helicopter with guys inside...

You'll need more of

How to setpos, with examples...

With subtopics like

...and keep it there...

And if the reader can't figure out that _anyvehicle == object, that's a problem that you don't need to worry about.

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #29 on: 17 Sep 2004, 04:29:30 »
~ShinRaiden
I havent really had time to go over all the advanced topics of mission editing..I pretty much know the basics so far which is pretty easy. These topics are..such as...Units...Groups..waypoints..triggers..syncr...markers...Then moving onto advanced...Gamelogics, scripting, cam scripting, all that fun stuff..But i do need help on this project..anybody who is willing to email me because yes it was my idea, but doesn't mean im talented at every part of it.. ;D, talk to everyone later..Thanks..

veston pants

« Reply #30 on: 17 Sep 2004, 17:53:16 »
I think that your idea for a completely new learning system is a must Nightjay, I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to get mission building off the ground and even tho' the tutes and peeps on forums are very helpfull, to a complete noob the transfer from basic mission design to intermediate level seems to have skipped right over my head. Now I'm not saying I'm totally stoopid  :P, I feel I can grasp anything if there is enough info. available on the subject (prhaps I'm reading the wrong tutes), but I have reached a point where my learning has gone from knowing what I'm doing in basic mission building, to battering my head when it comes to scripting ???

I think there should deffo be a learning curve that focuses solely on this aspect as it is a major part in the construct of any decent mission building.

Everything else I've seen from briefing creation to cutscenes is pretty well covered and even I've got the basic grasp of those, and it's a shame that for me personally the scripting section seems far too overwhelming at the mo to be able to create.

The possibilities for being artistic in a war sim may sound a little ridiculous, but the potential for making truly absorbing scenarios is there, if only implementing them were a little clearer.

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #31 on: 17 Sep 2004, 19:45:19 »
Veston Pants~
I know what you mean..I barely even know good scripting. Which is why i"m going to start off this training center deal and then OFPEC is most likely going to help out with the rest, they just want to see how to impliment it into there site..Also..I need help, check out the recruitment depot if your interested in helping me build this training center.. ;D

veston pants

« Reply #32 on: 19 Sep 2004, 23:28:23 »
lol...i wish I could help m8..

unfortunately I'd be about as much use as a tats on a bull innit..

tho' I could point any peeps wiv questions in the direction of macguba...I'm sure he wouldn't mind.. :)

I'm sure alot of peeps on the forum wouldn't mind helping out in their spare time either...just ask...they can only say yes/no innit..

goodluck..

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
  • Llama, it's what's for dinner.
« Reply #33 on: 10 Nov 2004, 03:41:21 »
uhhh... progress?
or has this joined the hundreds of other great ideas in the "lost interest"  :P section?

if this is still going, i'll put in my 2 cents:
about the interactive thing, that is already provided by OFPEC. In fact, you're in it right now...
This, though it is a wonderful idea, is not going to be very effective but for a few months as knowledge of ofp editing is constantly growing... so you would need more staff to keep it up to date...unless it was all left to nightjay (which is not very nice)...in which case he would have trouble with it because he already said he doesn't know much about.

I would suggest adding a board on the forums just for this, which the entire community would keep accurate.
on the board you could have threads on general topics of different kinds of editing, each starting with a basic tute, and then everyone can add what they want(as long as it's on topic), talk about everything, ask questions, etc.