Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Custom music to missions  (Read 4127 times)

Egwal

Custom music to missions
« on: 21 Aug 2002, 23:01:36 »
So how can i get a custom music track to my mission.
What progs do i need and how do i call it up.
Help needed ???

Thanks

seanver

Re:Custom music to missions
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2002, 23:55:34 »
You need to convert a .mp3 file (or .wav) to a .ogg one. What progran do you need? I'm about to ask that here. Then you need to create a file named "description.ext" and there put:

class CfgMusic
{

tracks[]=
{
03Holy
};

class 03Holy
{

name = "Holy Night (Frank Sinatra)";
sound[] = {\music\FrankSinatra_HolyNight.ogg, db+0, 1.0};
};
};

As far as I know, change the 03Holy but the two ones I think must be the same. In name put the name of your song, and in sound[] = { } put the path of the file (leave db+0, 1.0 at it is). About the program I had to format the disk so I'm gonna ask what program was since the tutorials are down.

Kaliyuga

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2002, 23:58:38 »
Hey there Egwal.... you'll want to create yourself a description.ext file first off.  Open your notepad on your PC and type this in:

Code: [Select]
class CfgMusic
{
      tracks[]={music};

class music
      {
            name = "";
            sound[] = {\Music\Filename.ogg,db+30, 1.0};
      };
 class music1
      {
            name = "";
            sound[] = {\music\Filename2.ogg, db+30, 1.0};
      };
      };
(of course you'll be substituting the file name of your song for the filename.ogg and filename2.ogg in the code)
save as description.ext    (be sure to select *all file types* and not *textfile*)  

Now.. inside the folder containing your mission.sqm, create a new folder, and name it Music.  Place your audio file converted to .ogg format inside this folder.

In game, if you wish to play the music, use this syntax in the init field of a trigger or waypoint

playmusic "music"  (for the first file)
or
playmusic "music1" (for the second file)

*EDIT* Also... you can use DB Poweramp to convert from wav/mp3 to .ogg.. there are alot of other converters out there too.. just go to a search engine and type in .ogg converter ;)  *EDIT*
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2002, 00:00:42 by Kaliyuga »

T.S.C.Plage

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2002, 17:06:26 »
To convert files from .wav and .mp3 to .ogg I'm using the "dBpowerAMP Music Converter".

It's freeware and you need do download the plugins for .ogg converting (other formats also available) from their page too.

Visit http://www.dbpoweramp.com/ for free download of converter and plugins.

Plage
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2002, 17:06:55 by T.S.C.Plage »

Kaliyuga

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2002, 01:25:34 »
Also... you can use DB Poweramp to convert from wav/mp3 to .ogg.. there are alot of other converters out there too.. just go to a search engine and type in .ogg converter ;)  *EDIT*

::)

T.S.C.Plage

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2002, 14:36:52 »
Ooops, haven't read the last line! ::)

But now he has a direct link... 8)
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2002, 14:37:27 by T.S.C.Plage »

Battletoad19

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2002, 22:33:10 »
im a noob to map making too, and im also trying to put some music into my mission. i did everything you guys said to do in this topic, but the music still doesnt work.  first question is, you never specifyed where exactly to put the descritpion.ext file at, where does that go exactly??? ive put it in the folder with the .sqm file and ive also tryed it in the music file, i didnt think it went there, but it didnt work before so i figured why not try, but it didnt work.

i think the prob may be with how im trying to activate the music. all i did for my mission to test how to get this to work, was put in west soldier on the map. i tryed 3 different ways to activate this. first i set a waypoint, and typed in the "on activation" line the command     playmusic "music"   i ran to the waypoint and it didnt work, so i tryed it in the script box for the waypoint, and it still didnt work. so i tryed a trigger, and made it so when west is present, on activation playmusic "music" and that didnt work....so i tryed just plainly typing in the soilders init line playmusic "music" and i didnt think that would work, and it didnt....

each time i tryed something new i deleted the pevious actiation line so it wouldnt conflict with the new test, but nothing works...i obviously need help!

Sundiver

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2002, 07:59:41 »
I had a problem with OGG music looping for some strange reason, occured the other day. 2 re-installs of OFP and Resistance, I spotted the problem (old and corrupted reigstry files left behind when uninstalling Resistance) and everything is ok now.

I made a test mission to check how the music played after the re-install. Using the desert island. Opened editor, put player on the map, added trigger, typed "playMusic "the_hunt", a song I am making for a cutscene.

Then I saved and Alt+Tabbed to desktop. Went to the users/missions/desert map and created a new folder called "music" in the main mission folder. I then put the OGG file in the "music" folder and copied the description.ext file (as seen below) from a similar mission which addressed the same OGG file, into the main mission folder. Went back to the mission and restarted, no music playing.. uhm?

I checked the "mission" file, and found that I had mis-spelled the track name earlier, and it had been saved into the mission file. I edited and retried, everything OK, music playing and all.

My description.ext file looks like this:

class CfgMusic
{
   tracks[] = { "the_hunt" };
   class the_hunt
   {
      name = "the_hunt";
      sound[] = {"\music\the_hunt.ogg", db+0, 1.0};
   };
};

So, in the mission folder created when you saved a new mission in the editor, create a subfolder called "music". Put your music files in there, go back to the main mission folder and create a description.ext file and put the song info in there, then you should see your song(s) in the editor when putting a WP and checking the effects-tracks list.

Hope this helps :) It is not difficult at all, really. I had lots of problems the first couple of times too.

To check file endings quickly, I use a nifty right-click menu addon called Properties Plus. It is a magnificent piece of software, couldnÂ't be any easier to install, and gives you another "properties" choice on the right-click menu. It is freeware and can be downloaded from this website (click here).

Good luck anyway, and sorry if I brought more confusion than understanding to this thread  ;)

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2002, 12:20:13 »
i use goldwave - easy to use and fun for all the family:

www.goldwave.com

as for music not working, you have to make sure that it is recorded at 44100mhz - otherwise it will not work  :P

other problesma are generally something wrong in your description.ext.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Navy_Seals

« Reply #9 on: 24 Aug 2002, 13:26:33 »
as for music not working, you have to make sure that it is recorded at 44100mhz - otherwise it will not work  :P

:D Not necessary Messy, it can be 32000, 22050, 11025 hz as well, just that it will be crapy thats all. As for all other stuff the old sound tut is coming back some time soon, cheers ;)

Edit: and mhz u use to refer to the processor speed not frequency :beat:
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2002, 13:28:34 by Navy_Seals »

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2002, 19:01:16 »
ok.... wonder who told me that then?

Navy - could u also send me a copy of that tut so when the tutes sections come online it will be the first up (along with the old ones)

:thumbsup:

Navy_Seals

« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2002, 20:00:48 »
Navy - could u also send me a copy of that tut so when the tutes sections come online it will be the first up (along with the old ones) :thumbsup:

Yeah sure, just it won't be up next week and on Wednesday im going..... well u know where, so guess u'll have to wait for a while, cheers ;)

Raven

« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2002, 21:23:27 »
Hi Guys

I've also tried everything the Battletoad19 tried and followed what you have said, all it keeps on doing is coming up with "track" not found when I enter the trigger area, iv'e looked in the trigger effects-tracks list and cannot find my track there, please help!!!.
Also as a side issue, will the dis.ext you use for the music interfear with the dis.ext you use to get the GPS, note book etc, as you cannot have to files of the same name in a folder.

smogmorph

« Reply #13 on: 01 Sep 2002, 20:28:36 »
I get this error message: "Music macarena not found"

Grr..  :help:
(macarena is the name of the .ogg file)
:help::help::help::help::help: :'(

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #14 on: 01 Sep 2002, 23:52:54 »
hmmmm....

as long as the file is in the music folder then that means your description.ext is wrong...

post a copy on here to we can look.

smogmorph

« Reply #15 on: 02 Sep 2002, 09:27:59 »
Alright, tell me what's wrong..

class CfgMusic
{
 tracks[]={macarena};

class music
 {
  name = "macarena";
  sound[] = {\music\macarena.ogg, db+30, 1.0};
 };
};

Offline Black_Feather

• Former Staff
  • I'll never forget you Daisey.
« Reply #16 on: 02 Sep 2002, 12:05:18 »
try this

class CfgMusic
{
tracks[]={macarena};

class macarena
{
  name = "macarena";
  sound[] = {\music\macarena.ogg, db+30, 1.0};
};
};

smogmorph

« Reply #17 on: 02 Sep 2002, 12:26:34 »
Ok, this is really weird, I tried using "class macarena" instead of "class music" before, it didn't work then...
Now it's working !  :o :o
I guess I should say thanks  :P