Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: "Battle Royale" MP level  (Read 23522 times)

Offline Skumball

• Members
Re:"Battle Royale" MP level
« Reply #105 on: 09 Sep 2004, 01:00:35 »
Here's what I meant. Say all the zones except one are fobidden. If you go into a forbidden zone and the 20secs remaing thing starts going and you enter the zone near another boundary; you can run into the next zone (just crossing into it) then run back into the first one going forwards all the time. Using this tecnique, I managed to easily move accross the island without being blown up. And if you are playing a multiplayer game and there is only you and one other person left. And this other guy keeps doing the above. The mission could last for ages (well, only until the tree day mark). But it would be realy unfair on the other player since he can't do it. See what I mean? Try it if you don't believe me. And if immediate death upon entering a forbidden zone would make your life easier, it would prob. make the players' lives easier as well.
I see what you mean. In terms of dodging between two danger zones and constantly resetting the death script that in itself is yet another side effect of the repeat script calls. If and when I could fix it then that would not be a problem. Another problem also lies with a countdown: You could cross a corner of a danger zone into a safe zone provided you are quick enough.

I'll upload an instant death mission soon and we can go from there. Thanks for the feedback LB.

Offline Skumball

• Members
« Reply #106 on: 09 Sep 2004, 02:18:34 »
Here is the latest version. Instant death zones ahoy. Time delays are what they should be but change these in the script if you don't want to wait like a plum (x4 just aint fast enough and adding setAccTime is a waste of valuable energy, best spent breathing). killAll.sqs was not required; just made the final safe zone a danger zone. Comments/abuse welcome.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2004, 21:06:34 by Skumball »

Lean Bear

« Reply #107 on: 09 Sep 2004, 21:42:52 »
No problem. ;)

Here's a handy-dandy script for speeding up time without speeding up the action. Skumball, feel free to use this in the mission. Just have it as an init.sqs or just have it as a seperate scipt. Its just like how the one in NogVille works. Play is at normal speed, but the time changes happen in an instant.

Just unzip it and use it. ;)

Offline Skumball

• Members
« Reply #108 on: 09 Sep 2004, 23:07:27 »
Interesting script. Did you want to implement this somehow?

Lean Bear

« Reply #109 on: 10 Sep 2004, 17:13:56 »
Yessireebob.

Just put it in the init.sqs like I said.

Until a possibale alternitive is found, this is the best I can do. ;)

Offline Skumball

• Members
« Reply #110 on: 11 Sep 2004, 01:43:05 »
Did you just want the time of day to move forward quicker than normal? If so then I knocked up a really simple one:

#loop
~6
skipTime 0.1
goto {loop}

That makes 1 second = 1 minute.

One problem is that if the player is keeping track of the time for when the zone turns red, then that pretty much messes up that plan :-\
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2004, 21:56:09 by Skumball »

Lean Bear

« Reply #111 on: 12 Sep 2004, 14:39:24 »
One problem is that if the player is keeping track of the time for when the zone turns red, then that pretty much messes up that plan

Does anyone know if the watch that pops up when you press "t" (default settings) changes with the time. I didn't think so but I will check it out nonetheless.

Here is a pic from O2 of the SIG-Sauer pistol used in Battle Royale. When I tried to texture it it looked worse, so I put a simple grey on it and took some pix. (As before the pic showing the weapon in the gear screen will follow on the next post)

Is anyone a good texturer? 'Cause I really need one. The fork and axe are OK, but the gun looked crap!

The reference picture wasn't great so I tried some home remedies (which looked quite good seperately) but when I put them together it looked awfull!

By the way, I tested this out in OFP (because it is a fully-flegged addon - complete with lod's, configs, selections etc.) and it looks a treat. It would be better if there were textures. Actually, I might try "adapting" some of BIS's and putting them on mine.

OK. Since I can test the guns out and stuff, I will continue making the remaining ones (and adapting the uzi and ingram and revolver).

We should probably start thinking about how to give players random weapons.

Also, Skumball, about the forbidden zones script(s). I seem to recall you saying that the zones will follow a sequence but which one is chosen at random. And that the zones start towards the outside and spiral in. Shouldn't you also include some versions where the zones start at the south, say, and work up (vaugely) north?

Here's an idea that I had. Does anyone have a mic for the computer and a copy of BR on DVD (or VCD)? 'Cause you could play the film on, say, Windows Media Player and rcord parts of it to be used as sound in the game?

What do you think? The main parts I was thinking of were the announcements. If you recorded the part where Takeshi (Sakamochi) says what day it is then we could play that at the appropriate time, using a simple script. Or, even better, how about when Takeshi says who has died. Record the bit where he says who it was (the individual) and then put it the description.ext as a sound (in .ogg format of course) and then we can play that. Since the players are ging to take the place of one of the students the sound can be linked to their death.

Matt Walter

« Reply #112 on: 12 Sep 2004, 16:16:33 »
About the random weapons... I still like my idea of random characters. You just choose boy or girl then you ae a random character.  ;)

Lean Bear

« Reply #113 on: 12 Sep 2004, 19:27:37 »
About the random weapons... I still like my idea of random characters. You just choose boy or girl then you ae a random character.

So how would that relate to the weapons?

Whoops! I forgot to post the gear pic for the BR SIG-Sauer. OK, here it is.

I've also done the Colt from Battle Royale. The pix will be on the two following posts.

Lean Bear

« Reply #114 on: 12 Sep 2004, 19:30:06 »
*Check that*

Here is the Colt in O2. A straightforward side on pic.

Lean Bear

« Reply #115 on: 12 Sep 2004, 19:34:26 »
Due to the 50kb limit. The pictures are pretty bad quality.

I still like my idea of random characters. You just choose boy or girl then you ae a random character.

I think I get it now. So you pick to be either a boy or a girl. And then a character is chosen for you? Randomly right? ;) But then, would the weapons relate or would they be randomly chosen non-speciic for the character?

While y'all animadvert over that one. You can check this cool angle which shows the detail I put on the gun:-

Lean Bear

« Reply #116 on: 12 Sep 2004, 19:37:01 »
And here is the picture you would see in the gear screen.

ps. Sorry about the lack of textures, but I'm working on that.

Offline Skumball

• Members
« Reply #117 on: 12 Sep 2004, 21:07:10 »
Shortened version of my original post, lost what I had written >:( Apologies if it sounds a bit blunt :)

Does anyone know if the watch that pops up when you press "t" (default settings) changes with the time. I didn't think so but I will check it out nonetheless.

It does indeed. Nevertheless I have created a version for our mission. I have also created a weather script. I have attached the latest build. I recommend typing setAccTime 20 in the player's init field for a quicker version. ;)

Also, Skumball, about the forbidden zones script(s). I seem to recall you saying that the zones will follow a sequence but which one is chosen at random. And that the zones start towards the outside and spiral in. Shouldn't you also include some versions where the zones start at the south, say, and work up (vaugely) north?

I included (almost) all viable zone patterns for the test mission and will do the same for our island.

Here's an idea that I had. Does anyone have a mic for the computer and a copy of BR on DVD (or VCD)? 'Cause you could play the film on, say, Windows Media Player and rcord parts of it to be used as sound in the game?

I have BR on DVD and OGG experience, happy to help.

Random weapons deffo, everything else is open for discussion :P

Busy this coming week, will help whenever possible.

*edit* good pics LB!
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2004, 21:16:22 by Skumball »

Matt Walter

« Reply #118 on: 13 Sep 2004, 03:19:33 »
But then, would the weapons relate or would they be randomly chosen non-speciic for the character?

You remember you list of students and there weapons... the character always gets the same weapon, but since you are randomly chosen a character, it still is a surprise what you get...or would gamers get real used to the characters and what weapon they had?

Lean Bear

« Reply #119 on: 13 Sep 2004, 18:47:18 »
You remember you list of students and there weapons... the character always gets the same weapon, but since you are randomly chosen a character, it still is a surprise what you get...or would gamers get real used to the characters and what weapon they had?

Yeah. I think that regulars would get used to which one to pick for the good weapons. I'm all for choosing either boy or girl and then you get a character picked for you. But I think the weapons, if possible, should be random.

I have BR on DVD and OGG experience, happy to help.

Cool. ;) Do you get what I mean with the recording certain parts of the film?

Busy this coming week, will help whenever possible.

Yeah, me too. I've got, like 10 basketball matches and practices to do this week. But, I wouldn't want to let you guys down. So, I've got planned (for this week):-
  • Texture the guns and rations/water bottles as best as I can.
  • Do models for the GPS (almost done), Ice pic and jacknife.
  • Post pics of what I've done up here.

*edit* good pics LB!
;)

edit

One more thing. The GPS which is with OFP is there for all players. Is there a way to make it so that it is only for one player and not the others? (Obviously, that would be the whole point of having a GPS as a weapon)
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2004, 18:51:41 by Lean Bear »