Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: a question on legality  (Read 4699 times)

djackl

Re:a question on legality
« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2004, 17:02:27 »
What law is that? US law? European Law?

I havent got a clue I think I read it somewhere, but I forgot where....

djackl

« Reply #16 on: 29 Aug 2004, 09:28:10 »
Just one question. Would OFPEC refuse to host a mission if it contained copyrighted material?

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #17 on: 29 Aug 2004, 09:37:59 »
Arg! Don't push it!
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #18 on: 29 Aug 2004, 10:42:21 »
Your suggestion earlier on is the safest approach, djackl:
the best thing to do is find out who owns the rights to the music and submit a request to them
... or make your own.

And to confirm what Sui has posted:
at the end of the day, if we're approached by <the music's author/publisher> asking us to take down content due to breach of copyright we have to take it down. We're simply not in a position to combat any form of litigation...

As Sui has wanted, I won't be locking this thread yet either but keep the discussion in the realms of legal solutions please. :)

Regarding if we'd host a mission with copyrighted material. We can only enforce what we know about. If someone complains, we consider the complaints merits on a case-by-case basis.
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2004, 10:44:32 by Noon416 »
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Merl

« Reply #19 on: 29 Aug 2004, 10:43:36 »
Consider this, I actually bought a legal CD after playing a mission that contained a track by a certain well-known artist.
I discovered that the mission version had been 'altered' in two ways, firstly an effect was added at the beginning and secondly it was not the complete track.

Not using the complete track might be the solution here, together with readme info or/and, even better, a cutscene that includes info about the artist or band. The result is free promo and a possible incentive to buy for the artist without really giving anything away!

rOk

« Reply #20 on: 31 Aug 2004, 08:14:01 »
Consider this, I actually bought a legal CD after playing a mission that contained a track by a certain well-known artist.
I discovered that the mission version had been 'altered' in two ways, firstly an effect was added at the beginning and secondly it was not the complete track.

Not using the complete track might be the solution here, together with readme info or/and, even better, a cutscene that includes info about the artist or band. The result is free promo and a possible incentive to buy for the artist without really giving anything away!

Except the artist might have something to say when he hears the effect. That's already going into remix waters and they're mostly done via agreement (legal ones)

I seriously don't think any big musician is gonna care as long as
1. You don't make money of the mission (And I disagree with anyone selling OFP mission anyway
2. You mention who it is (In credits/readme) as it gets them more knowen about
3. You buy there album

- Ben

In most cases it probably ends at number 2...including me

@Blunt
I just started messing around with Propellerhead's Reason, and it has tons of possibilities.

Anything in Reason you can't figure out or are interested in?
It's a big jump from Fruity Loops but you won't regret it.

#edit
about remixes
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2004, 09:00:31 by rOk »

HuNtA

« Reply #21 on: 02 Sep 2004, 10:40:51 »
In england, since the 1970's, electronic files (eg. .mp3's) are not property. Hence youc an do wat U want with them. But the copyrights still apply, and thats where your downfall is. So in theory, if the music in a game has no copyrights, and you live in the UK, it is okay to take music from it. But this is a grey area as far as im concerned (I dont know wether its been updated, ect.)

Ubiquitous

« Reply #22 on: 02 Sep 2004, 20:03:30 »
One solution to the whole thing is to use music that is out of copyright, and here I'm thinking especially of old classical music. Many contemporary films and games alike use music that is of a classical style but which has been composed recently - John Williams is a bit of a demigod in this sense with films such as 'Saving Prvt. Ryan', 'Star Wars', 'Jaws', the 'Indiana Jones' trilogy, 'Jurassic Park', 'Back to the Future' and 'ET' (to name but a few) under his belt.  They like to have their own music to give the product a unique feel, and this stuff will still be protected by copyright law.

However, you can find plenty of old classical music to fit any mood and you dont have to worry about Mr. Sony or Mrs. (for political correctness' sake ;-)) BMG knocking on your (or OFPECs) door.

You want to tell a good war story? You could do worse than take a leaf out of "Platoon's" book with Samuel Barber's chilling 'Adagio for Strings' as the title theme. If you're still not convinced then try to find someone who, when asked to name a song from 'Apocalypes Now', doesn't immediately respond with Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries'.

UbiquitousUK

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #23 on: 03 Sep 2004, 01:14:13 »
However, you can find plenty of old classical music to fit any mood and you dont have to worry about Mr. Sony or Mrs. (for political correctness' sake ;-)) BMG knocking on your (or OFPECs) door.

No, there is still a copywrite on that particular recording of the song. Just like if Brittany (sp?) Spears were to release a CD where she sings "jingle bells", that CD would also be copywritten. However, you could perform that classical music on your own, and there would be nothing the London Symphony Orchestra could say about it.
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline benreeper

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: 03 Sep 2004, 04:33:42 »
I was also going to suggest Classical music.  What orchestra is going to be able to tell that it is them performing on the recording and not someone else.  You could probably even say that you got your school to do it.  Who would know?

--Jes

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #25 on: 03 Sep 2004, 04:40:24 »
You could probably even say that you got your school to do it.

If your school orchestra sounds anywhere near as good as the London Symphony, then you have one hell of an orchestra..... But anyway I'm just being a snob because I played violin for 8 years.  ::)
Who would know?
That's been my point the whole time. Is Snoop Dogg gonna know if you use one of his songs in your mission? Of course not.

stoppelhopser

« Reply #26 on: 06 Oct 2004, 14:03:34 »
regarding ofp missions i would always consider "custom" music as selfmade music...
if you use any commercial stuff, this somehow means you in a great deal put in that music because itÂ's one of your favourites... not necessarily because it supports the scene and atmo of your mission...
just a thought  ;D

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #27 on: 07 Oct 2004, 00:27:33 »
actually, then if all music is copyrighted, whos asked BIS to use the ingame tracks. I haven't read any waivers in the OFP docs that give us the right to use that music.

think about it m8s... :o
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #28 on: 09 Oct 2004, 23:28:10 »
actually, then if all music is copyrighted, whos asked BIS to use the ingame tracks. I haven't read any waivers in the OFP docs that give us the right to use that music.

think about it m8s... :o
Ah, but you aren't distributing that music, are you now? When you make a mission using "BIS" music, the music files aren't packaged into the pbo, because everyone who bought the game already has that music on their computer (and thus paid for it). Nice try though. ;)

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #29 on: 10 Oct 2004, 00:09:18 »
well, i tried ;D
in all seriousness though, there will always be those people who bend the limits. I personally ask all composers if I can use their piece in my misson, and they'll usually allow it.
Thats all the help i can give mates.

:Cheers:
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08