Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: MS Security Patch 2 - will it affect OFP ?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
MS Security Patch 2 - will it affect OFP ?
« on: 18 Aug 2004, 01:03:29 »
Hello All

I wasn't sure where to put this but I figured that here is as good as anywhere else.

I just read that MS is bringing out it's latest security patch for XP tomorrow and they hope to have it up and running on 100 milion computers within the next few months.  They also said that the new patch has features that make many applications no longer work, including games that expect to be able to have access to the net (such as OFP !).

My question is - does anyone know anything about this ?  Most importantly, if I download this patch for my PC will I still be able to play OFP on line ?

As I said - this might not be the right forum and people might not know the answer (at least until the patch is released) but I figured that if nothing else people should be aware of this.

Cheers

Roni

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
Re:MS Security Patch 2 - will it affect OFP ?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2004, 04:01:23 »
All outbound connections - unaffected (Windows Firewall doesn't touch them).
However, incoming is still blocked by default.
So if you don't get a permission box asking to accept the incoming, you can (very easily) tell the Windows Firewall to allow 2302 and 2304 through.

Start >> Settings >> Control Panel >> Windows Firewall >> Exceptions >> Add Port >> Fill out the two fields (name, port) >> OK
Done. :)

Any further questions about this though, would be better posted in the Troubleshooting and/or Multiplayer boards over at the Official Forums.

Somone should do a good writeup and get it stickied. :)

PS: I haven't physically tested it with OFP, but am writing this from experience on how to let other programs through (like VNC, etc).
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2004, 04:02:56 by Noon416 »
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
Re:MS Security Patch 2 - will it affect OFP ?
« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2004, 04:21:09 »
Thanks for that !