Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: setViewDistance  (Read 610 times)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
setViewDistance
« on: 25 Jul 2004, 22:43:06 »
It appears to me that a setViewDistance command will not set the viewdistance to a greater distance than that set by the slider in the Options menu.     Is that correct?

(It never moves the slider marker, although it can set the viewdistance lower than the slider says.)

Many thanks.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Dubieman

Re:setViewDistance
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2004, 22:47:49 »
Can you manuelly set the view distance just by creating more fog?

That's what setviewdistance does right? Adds more fog so you can't see as far? ???

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2004, 22:54:36 »
No.

Fog and viewdistance are different.   However, they look similar.

Fog is a real effect in the game.  Nobody - humans or AI - can see through it.

Viewdistance is a graphics Option.    It affects what you the player can actually see.   It doesn't affect the AI.    If you have it set low then you can be shot by a unit that is too far away for you to see.    However the minimum viewdistance is 500m and it's pretty rare to be shot from further away than that.   The default is 900m.

In fog, if you can't see him then he can't see you.   Except that sometimes the AI can see a little futher than you can.   ;D   Which is offset by the times that you can see each other, but he doesn't notice you.  

Obviously the distance you the player can actually see is the lower of fog and viewdistance.

Examples:

setViewDistance 1500
180 setFog 1
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2004, 22:55:40 by macguba »

Kaliyuga

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2004, 23:03:44 »
It doesn't affect the AI.

Actually Mac,  Setviewdistance effects every unit on the map including the radar distances on vehicles..

I remember reading a post by one of the BIS guys,  Suma or Maruk I think, on the official forums quite a while ago saying this...  

don't have a link off the top of my head , but i remember seeing it ;D

:cheers:

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2004, 23:38:46 »
Really?   I stand corrected.  

Edit:   I had a hunt around on the official forums but I couldn't find it.     If anybody can shed any light on this at all, I'd be grateful.

Kali, I found an old post of yours which said you can use

setViewDistance benchmark

Now that strikes me as an interesting one.    I've tried it but I can't tell you much about it yet.

What I can tell you is that with maximum fog setViewDistance has a very significant effect on lag:   low distance (700) = no lag;  high distance (4000) introduces significant lag.     Making such a change increases the distance you can see (with max fog) by a few metres.
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2004, 00:54:25 by macguba »

Dubieman

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2004, 04:28:40 »
Well that is interesting. The fogs were so much alike... it seems that they served the same purpose in a way but I guess not.

But I can't help you here. I never use setviewdistance, yet... :P

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2004, 13:37:43 »
Really?   I stand corrected.  

Edit:   I had a hunt around on the official forums but I couldn't find it.     If anybody can shed any light on this at all, I'd be grateful.

Kali, I found an old post of yours which said you can use

setViewDistance benchmark

Now that strikes me as an interesting one.    I've tried it but I can't tell you much about it yet.

What I can tell you is that with maximum fog setViewDistance has a very significant effect on lag:   low distance (700) = no lag;  high distance (4000) introduces significant lag.     Making such a change increases the distance you can see (with max fog) by a few metres.

mac, that benchmark command works on the same basics as when u configure OFP and press 'reccomended' - it sets the viewdistance to your benchmark level...
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion